Throckmorton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throckmorton?

I just acquired a lease 7 miles NE of Throckmorton and would like an inside scoop on services available in the area; restaurants, deer processing, feed/general stores, etc. I ran into town for corn Sunday and the only thing open was the Allsups...and I didn't see much else. Thanks guys.

Fowler's is the only restaurant that I know of, it is on 283 just South of main intersection. There is a deer processor, Escalons Buck N Hog. The feed store is just North of the main intersection. I believe they are a "help yourself" type store on the honor system. I am not sure exactly how it works though, I just heard that. I am not sure of their prices, but I get corn in Wichita Falls for $5.75 a bag. There is also a small hardware store as well as a small auto parts store.

Comment

Not much there. The hardware store on the south side of town has corn and a decent supply of stuff. Open until noon on Saturday. We don't go to town to eat so I can not answer that but I know there is not much. Breckenridge is the closest that would have most everything.
      Welcome to the neighborhood, We are about 7 miles due north of town on 183.

Also just for future reference,if we are at the lease we have 2 dogs that track, with us.

Comment

Elbert has a one stop shop(assuming its still there) general store. It has a little bit of everything and a whole lot of nothing. You can buy corn across the street from it on an 'honor code'.

Comment

Originally posted by jb1312 View Post
          Fowler's is the only restaurant that I know of, it is on 283 just South of main intersection. There is a deer processor, Escalons Buck N Hog. The feed store is just North of the main intersection. I believe they are a "help yourself" type store on the honor system. I am not sure exactly how it works though, I just heard that. I am not sure of their prices, but I get corn in Wichita Falls for $5.75 a bag. There is also a small hardware store as well as a small auto parts store.
          If its the same people as Escalons in Albany I would not use them due to cleanliness issues

Comment

We are 12 miles due north of town on 183. Like others have said there is a hardware store in town and a self serve feed store. You just write down what all you buy and he will send you a bill. In Seymour there is a better hardware store with more options.

Comment

Graham will be your other closest town that has most everything. I do not recommend the processor in Graham though. I have never gotten an acceptable amount of meat back from Clear Fork Country. It is a decent gun store though. The feed store in Graham is a great store for feed or anything hunting related. Has great pricing on guns there. It's JN Feed.
              As far as processor that I recommend is Whitakers in Iowa Park, Bayco in Seymour, and I forget the name of the one in Abilene. I'm sure there's other good ones, I just haven't used them.

Comment

Been pretty happy with Bayco in Seymour for all our processing needs.

Comment

Bayco in Seymour for processing. They’ll beat anything else in the area. If you head south just a little ways to Albany there is the Beehive to eat at. Definitely worth the drive. Excellent steakhouse, and a decent little bar. They are only open thurs-sun, and they get dang busy. Get there early, or get there late.

Comment

Used to hunt out there, been probably 8 years since then though. There is/was a feed store about a block or two north of the Alsups. Not sure if the Perch Trap is still open, but had many a fun nights in there. The Beehive steakhouse in Albany is awesome and worth the drive. I would not use the processor in town. Was very unimpressed with them (cleanliness and quality of meat I got back). Olney May have more stuff you need (places to eat, hardware store, etc). I miss hunting up there

Comment

Thanks for the responses, guys. Sounds like I'll be trying to bring all I need from home or pick it up on the way.

Any processor suggestions for Olney/Graham/Jacksboro to Springtown? I haven't found one in many years that I felt like I received ALL my meat from. Cleanliness and honesty are hard to come by in that industry.

Comment

The feed store is a block west of Allsups and closes at noon on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                          Thanks for the responses, guys. Sounds like I'll be trying to bring all I need from home or pick it up on the way.

Any processor suggestions for Olney/Graham/Jacksboro to Springtown? I haven't found one in many years that I felt like I received ALL my meat from. Cleanliness and honesty are hard to come by in that industry.

Neils taxidermy and processing in Whitt. Does a great job. You will get all YOUR meat. Get the jalapeƱo cheese sticks [emoji106]

Comment

Working...
                          X