How Old Is He? Hard One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Old Is He? Hard One

I got this deer on camera yesterday.. I think he will be on the hit list. How old do yall think he is and would you hit list him?? Free range, East tx.
    Attached Files

I'm gonna say 5. As far as hit listing him, I'd be tempted to give him another year. Although I know that's a tough gamble.
    But by all means, he's a shooter.
    Last edited by JLivi1224; 08-08-2017, 10:23 AM.

Comment

6 and yes hit list

Comment

I'd call him 4 at my house. Looks full grown and has a nice rack!

Beams at or past the nose is an automatic shooter for me. That's going to be at least a 20 inch beam around here, and to me that's a good one.

Comment

I say 5 or 6. I'd take him.

Comment

Comment

4+. That deeper brisket makes me think 5. Nice buck! With your hunting style, he would probably be safe another year if you decided to let him walk.

Comment

Sure is hard to age them this time of year.

Comment

I'll guess 4 1/2, but they look younger right now.

Comment

Maybe 4. He's thick but that could be because of the solid range conditions. It's hard for me to tell by looking at those pics. Wish you had one of him standing still with both front feet on the ground.

As far as hit list... hard to call too. Based on the last pic: Tt doesn't look like he carries the mass up through the main beams and his G2's couldnt be more than 12".

I'd be excited to have him in my area but at this point without more pics / seeing him on the hoof, I wouldn't be expecting to take him.

Just my $0.02!

Comment

5.5+

Comment

Originally posted by offthemap View Post
                        Maybe 4. He's thick but that could be because of the solid range conditions. It's hard for me to tell by looking at those pics. Wish you had one of him standing still with both front feet on the ground.

As far as hit list... hard to call too. Based on the last pic: Tt doesn't look like he carries the mass up through the main beams and his G2's couldnt be more than 12".

I'd be excited to have him in my area but at this point without more pics / seeing him on the hoof, I wouldn't be expecting to take him.

Just my $0.02!
                        He wont score much. he does have some kickers off his brows. Bases are really heavy but you are right, he doesnt carry mass very well. Score isnt a determining factor in whether i let someone kill him though. I have much higher scoring deer to hunt myself.
                        My reason for posting this is to get opinions on age and whether folks think he should be hitlisted if they got these pics on their place. aging deer this time of year is really hard for me. Lots of folks can do so with pretty good confidence. Not me..

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          He wont score much. he does have some kickers off his brows. Bases are really heavy but you are right, he doesnt carry mass very well. Score isnt a determining factor in whether i let someone kill him though. I have much higher scoring deer to hunt myself.
                          My reason for posting this is to get opinions on age and whether folks think he should be hitlisted if they got these pics on their place. aging deer this time of year is really hard for me. Lots of folks can do so with pretty good confidence. Not me..
                          Ive been in a similar situation the last 2 years with bucks that look younger/older until I see them on the hoof or get better pics. I switched mu cams from taking pics to running videos on my early season spots and spots where I hand corn and it makes a world of difference for me.

Like I said, hard to say if he's old enough to take but I think he could use a year or two based on those pics alone.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by offthemap; 08-08-2017, 11:24 AM.

Comment

On my place... he's dead 5.5 year old

Comment

Skinny neck
                              No sag in back
                              4 year old
                              East Texas has big bodied deer
                              He will get better

I bet he hits 140- 150 next year

Comment

Working...
                              X