For you duck hunters. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For you duck hunters. . .

What is your go to shot for the majority of ducks (mallards, woodies, gadwalls, etc)? I know about patterning each load to your gun and all, but I'm more curious about shot size and weight. What is your favorite set up?

I have an old 870 that absolutely loves Winchester XPert 1-1/4oz #4's. I've got a "new to me" semi-auto that I'm starting to put through the paces, and it just got me to thinking about different options. Hence the question.

If you could only grab one box, what would it be?

Tks,
    Skooter

3" #3. They just work for me

Comment

3" #3"s

Comment

The cheapest box of 3 1/2" #2 or 3s I can find.

Comment

My 870 LOVES the Kent Fasteel 3" #4 1 1/8oz load. No problem at all on any duck.

Been shooting it for 3 seasons and not sure I'll shoot anything else. Might give the Hevi-Shot loads a try.

Comment

I like 2's. Lost to many to small shot in the past. I like solid kills the 2s deliver

Comment

Remington Nitro Steel High Velocity in #2's for the 12 ga.
              Winchester Dry lock #3's for the 20 ga.

Comment

3" #4, haven't seen the need to jump to 3 1/2" for ducks - Geese is a different story. In fact, I have shot a bunch of 2 3/4" #3 or 4's the past couple of years - cheaper and easier to find. I saw very little difference in successful shot % between the different shell sizes.

Comment

Kent 3" #2's

Comment

I shoot 3" #2 and #4. Favorite are the winchesters, then Remington and federal are tied after that. All are fairly cheap

Comment

Kent 3" #2

Comment

3" #2's.

Comment

Kent 3" 4s or 2s and black cloud 2s or 3s

Kent's are prolly the best bang for the Buck out their IMO. Rio Royal blue Steel ain't to shabby either

Winchester Xperts pattern horribly in my gun and everyone I've ever know hates them.

Federal premiums literally shoot a donut pattern through my M2, so I don't shoot them either.

Comment

Love 3" #2's. Been shooting winchester Supremes.

Comment

Thanks. Looks like the #3's have a good following.

Has anyone ever shot a hot #6 for full size ducks? Just curious on that?

Comment

Working...
                              X