Mardi Gras King Cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mardi Gras King Cake

I know some of our knowledgeable Louisiana members can shed light on this, but who has the best King Cake that I can buy and have shipped to a customer of mine here in Texas?

I'm a Gambino's man. Lotta Haydel's fans though...

Comment

I always grew up eating the McKenzie's King Cake. Both my parent's grew up in New Orleans and that's was always their go to.

Comment

Walmart

Comment

What is the purpose of a king cake

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
            I know some of our knowledgeable Louisiana members can shed light on this, but who has the best King Cake that I can buy and have shipped to a customer of mine here in Texas?

https://www.randazzokingcake.com/

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
            What is the purpose of a king cake

History of King Cakes

The Mardi Gras or Carnival season officially begins on January 6th or the "Twelfth Night," also known to Christians as the "Epiphany." Epiphany comes from a Greek word that means "to show." Jesus first showed himself to the three wisemen and to the world on this day. As a symbol of this Holy Day, a tiny plastic baby is placed inside each King Cake.

The King Cake tradition is thought to have been brought to New Orleans from France in 1870. A King Cake is an oval-shaped bakery delicacy, crossed between a coffee cake and a French pastry that is as rich in history as it is in flavor. It's decorated in royal colors of PURPLE which signifies "Justice," GREEN for "Faith," and GOLD for "Power." These colors were chosen to resemble a jeweled crown honoring the Wise Men who visited the Christ Child on Epiphany. In the past such things as coins, beans, pecans, or peas were also hidden in each King Cake.

Today, a tiny plastic baby is the common prize. At a party, the King Cake is sliced and served. Each person looks to see if their piece contains the "baby." If so, then that person is named "King" for a day and bound by custom to host the next party and provide the King Cake.

Mardi Gras Day has a moveable date and may occur on any Tuesday from February 3rd to March 9th. It is always the day before Ash Wednesday, and always falls 46 days before Easter

Comment

I passed through Lafayette just last Sunday and picked up a couple from Rouse's... bought one pecan praline filled and the other was cream cheese..MmmmMMMmmm. We've been eating on them all week.

I know they ship.

Comment

CB who has the best one in Lafayette?

Comment

Rao's in Beaumont and Port Arthur have some good ones if your in a bind. They do a "Zulu" that is chocolate and coconut and it's tasty. Rao's will ship for you as well.

There is a place in Lake Charles, I forget the name, but a small donut shop on the Southwest side of town. We had 2-3 from them last year and those were the best I have had in a long time, from all over La. They run out most every day pretty early.

Edit : It is Delicious Donuts in Lake Charles
                  Last edited by Mike; 01-24-2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Dang, Randazzo is closed for shipping until after Mardi Gras....

Comment

Originally posted by sling shot View Post
                      CB who has the best one in Lafayette?
                      19 different options ... matter of personal choice as they're all unique

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/l...uide/78256766/

https://localsloveus.com/lafayette/c...027/king-cake/

Comment

One would think Mardi Gras would be the best time of the year for them TO ship

Comment

Dude is crazy busy. He works 8-10 weeks out of the year and grosses close to $1,000,000 selling King Cakes

They really are that good, especially the pecan praline. They open at 6:30 am as the wait line mimics Franklins BBQ but moves much faster. Randazzos sells out of KC's everyday

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                            https://www.randazzokingcake.com/

History of King Cakes

The Mardi Gras or Carnival season officially begins on January 6th or the "Twelfth Night," also known to Christians as the "Epiphany." Epiphany comes from a Greek word that means "to show." Jesus first showed himself to the three wisemen and to the world on this day. As a symbol of this Holy Day, a tiny plastic baby is placed inside each King Cake.

The King Cake tradition is thought to have been brought to New Orleans from France in 1870. A King Cake is an oval-shaped bakery delicacy, crossed between a coffee cake and a French pastry that is as rich in history as it is in flavor. It's decorated in royal colors of PURPLE which signifies "Justice," GREEN for "Faith," and GOLD for "Power." These colors were chosen to resemble a jeweled crown honoring the Wise Men who visited the Christ Child on Epiphany. In the past such things as coins, beans, pecans, or peas were also hidden in each King Cake.

Today, a tiny plastic baby is the common prize. At a party, the King Cake is sliced and served. Each person looks to see if their piece contains the "baby." If so, then that person is named "King" for a day and bound by custom to host the next party and provide the King Cake.

Mardi Gras Day has a moveable date and may occur on any Tuesday from February 3rd to March 9th. It is always the day before Ash Wednesday, and always falls 46 days before Easter

Without a doubt Randazzo's is the best.

Comment

Like Mike posted the link to, Delicious Donuts in Lake Chuck.
                              Another favorite of folks I know is Meches in Lafayette.

Some are a different style than what CB posted, more of a flat bread with less filling. A couple of places that sell these are Keller's and Poupart's. The latter is more of a French style puff pastry with almond paste inside. Not a plethora of filling choices like others.

I like all of the LA king cakes better than what Rao's builds. I actually think that Market Basket makes a pretty good one and they are only $11-12.

T

Comment

Working...
                              X