Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket

Looking for help on smoking a brisket. First off I used to always wrap it in foil until about the last 3 hours of cooking and at that tim I would take it out of foil and put it on the rack. I know that people don't recommend it because its more like a roast and I totally agree. So I tried to smoke a brisket by just putting it on the rack and it didn't turn out well . The brisket on the outside was like charcol but the middle was ok.What do I need to do in order to make a great brisket? I've always cooked at 250. Let me know what you would do and also do you leave yours totally uncoverd the whole time its cooking? Do you put anything on it through out the cooking process to keep the outside from burning?Thanks.

Ask and you shall receive.....

Comment

I couldn't find the ground coriander at walmart or brookshire's but it was smaller stores. Any guess where I might pick some up at? There are things like this that makes living in a small town suck

Comment

chad order online

Comment

I smoke mine directing on the rack. I put on my rub and baste well, put it directly on the rack and smoke in the 180-220 range for 6 hours basting with apple juice during that time. After 6 hours, I pull off the smoker, wrap in aluminum foil, put in a big pot. Depedning on the internal temp, Ill either let it finish cooking in the closed pot, or Ill stick it in the oven if its further off. The pot will hold all the juices expelled during the breakdown process and then as the brisket is done and starts to cool off it sucks them back up. Man I love brisket, going to have to get one to do this weekend now.

Comment

My typical brisket cookin day starts at about 4am

1. make some good Community Coffee
            2. go start a fire in the smoker
            3. get a cup of coffee
            4. rub down the brisket(s) ( I usually mix several different bbq/steak rubs that I find at Sam's in various quantities, I taste it as I go to decide)
            5. mix up some apple juice and bourbon 50/50 in a spray bottle.
            6. check the fire I am lookin for between 200 and 225 (to help with keeping an even temp throughout the smoke, my smoker is made 1/4" steel and the fire box is lined with fire bricks, more mass = more heat retention = less fluctuation.)
            7. Check my smoke, lookin for a light, white/gray smoke, keeping the flue open at all times.
            8. get some more coffee.
            9. put the briskets in the smoker, with the thick end closer to the fire. (about 5am)
            10. spray down the brisket with the applejacks mix
            11. I check the fire and squirt the brisket about every hour.
            12. coffee is phased out for beer as the day progresses
            13. I flip(and rotate if smokin more than one) every 2-3 hours starting on the third hour, I have tried not flippin'em and they don't turn out as good... dunno why. And continue to spray'em down.
            14. with about 3 hours to go (2:30-3pm) I will put the brisket fat side up in foil with one stick of butter on top. Wrap it up tight and put it back on the smoker.
            15. Stoke the fire up to about 300-350 and place the brisket far from the fire.
            16. 5:30-6:30pm Check the temp of the thick end of the brisket (I like to shut down at 193ish) you should be darn close. (192-198) Shut the fire down (open the firebox or lid to smoker)
            17. Slice up the brisket with a drip pan beneath you, you'll need it.
            18. Enjoy!

I am not giving away all of my secrets, this is just a starter for you. I really really enjoy smokin and cookin.

The finished product should look very black and crusty. That black bark and thick redlines along the edges are my favorite part.

If anyone in houston would like to try this method, PM or email me and I will fix one or two or ten one weekend and we can have a good bbq.

Comment

Kosher salt, cracked black pepper, smoke. Simple.

Comment

brisket

wbhiton

That sounds like a good'in. I think I will try one like that.

Comment

There are a BUNCH of recipes and techniques here:

Comment

Originally posted by chadreed88 View Post
                    Looking for help on smoking a brisket. First off I used to always wrap it in foil until about the last 3 hours of cooking and at that tim I would take it out of foil and put it on the rack. I know that people don't recommend it because its more like a roast and I totally agree.
                    The key is to open the foil up, or even better, smoke the brisket uncovered in one of those disposable aluminum pans from the grocery store.

After about 6-7 hours smoking it fat side up at 250, turn the brisket over and finish smoking it lean side up another 4-5 hours. Time varies depending on size of brisket... Use the juice that accumulates in the pan to sop the brisket periodically. This gets the dark outer layer just like you want, you'll have that beautiful red smoke ring, the meat will be juicy and fall apart tender, and all of that delicious juice is reserved to pour over it or mix with a barbeque sauce...

I don't like to open the lid to the smoker for the first 4-5 hours - if you're lookin, you ain't cookin... I flip the brisket once during the smoking process. That's it. No more, no less.

What you will discover though is that when you are through eating, you'll say "I forgot to put sauce on it" because it won't need sauce.

There are rarely any left overs.
                    Last edited by Soapeddler; 12-10-2008, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wbhinton View Post
                      My typical brisket cookin day starts at about 4am

1. make some good Community Coffee
                      2. go start a fire in the smoker
                      3. get a cup of coffee
                      4. rub down the brisket(s) ( I usually mix several different bbq/steak rubs that I find at Sam's in various quantities, I taste it as I go to decide)
                      5. mix up some apple juice and bourbon 50/50 in a spray bottle.
                      6. check the fire I am lookin for between 200 and 225 (to help with keeping an even temp throughout the smoke, my smoker is made 1/4" steel and the fire box is lined with fire bricks, more mass = more heat retention = less fluctuation.)
                      7. Check my smoke, lookin for a light, white/gray smoke, keeping the flue open at all times.
                      8. get some more coffee.
                      9. put the briskets in the smoker, with the thick end closer to the fire. (about 5am)
                      10. spray down the brisket with the applejacks mix
                      11. I check the fire and squirt the brisket about every hour.
                      12. coffee is phased out for beer as the day progresses
                      13. I flip(and rotate if smokin more than one) every 2-3 hours starting on the third hour, I have tried not flippin'em and they don't turn out as good... dunno why. And continue to spray'em down.
                      14. with about 3 hours to go (2:30-3pm) I will put the brisket fat side up in foil with one stick of butter on top. Wrap it up tight and put it back on the smoker.
                      15. Stoke the fire up to about 300-350 and place the brisket far from the fire.
                      16. 5:30-6:30pm Check the temp of the thick end of the brisket (I like to shut down at 193ish) you should be darn close. (192-198) Shut the fire down (open the firebox or lid to smoker)
                      17. Slice up the brisket with a drip pan beneath you, you'll need it.
                      18. Enjoy!

I am not giving away all of my secrets, this is just a starter for you. I really really enjoy smokin and cookin.

The finished product should look very black and crusty. That black bark and thick redlines along the edges are my favorite part.

If anyone in houston would like to try this method, PM or email me and I will fix one or two or ten one weekend and we can have a good bbq.
                      You're gettin close. Just a little bit of practice and you might have it down...

You're method and mine are so similar it's scary. A few minor differences and it could be me doing that narrative.

Comment

Originally posted by Soapeddler View Post
                        You're gettin close. Just a little bit of practice and you might have it down...

You're method and mine are so similar it's scary. A few minor differences and it could be me doing that narrative.
                        x3
                        I just substitute the coffee for an ice cold Lone Star Light(National beer of Texas) about twice as often. Never tried the butter before I wrap it up but I can give that a shot. I keep the thinner side of the brisket away from the fire the entire cooking time to maintain moisture in the leaner areas. This brisket recipe will win cook-offs.

Comment

I have always done whats called a his and hers brisket... I dont own a smoker just a gas grill. I have a smoker box I put on the gas grill and I put tin foil in all the holes to seal it up some. I smoke it for about 3 hours and then put it in the oven for several hours on low temp to finish cooking i and make it tender.

Comment

Couple of must do:

You musts be able to bend the brisket prior to purchase and touch the tips.

Brine Brine Brine!!!

Put a pan of water in the smoking compartment.

Cut against the grain.

Enjoy

Comment

I don't cook by time at all. I get my fire running in the 200-225 range and throw the meat on. I usually put it in one of those big foil pans, uncovered, with fat cap up. Let 'er run for a while, go check internal temp with meat thermometer, flip her over several times during the cook, as the juices will drip down into the pan and you'll have a bottom side that gets no smoke at all otherwise. Check with that meat thermo about every hour or so, and when you get in the 150 range, start watching it more closely. You can also get a digital thermo with a probe that you leave in the meat and a thin wire that you run outside of the smoker and you can read the temps continually. Anyway, cook her to 165-170 internal and then cover tightly to seal in the steam. Continue cooking until you reach the 195 - 205 range. Pull her off, put her in a cooler or even the oven (but don't turn it on) to rest for a couple of hours.

My number one secret though....get a jaccard meat tenderizer and run that through your brisket before you cook it, and let the meat come to room temp before you throw it on the cooker.

Jaccard Meat Tenderizer:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...:referralID=NA

Comment

Working...
                              X