No announcement yet.

Advice needed : Smoking sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great pics!!! Processing your own game...including making sausage is certainly a great family/friend tradition to have. If it wasn't for tbh I don't think I would have ever gotten started on it. It was basically a must for me though...back when I only killed a deer a year I could afford to have it processed. Now with me, the wife, and a kiddo hunting, there is no way I could afford it. Price aside, it has turned out to have many other enjoying benefits as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
      Jethro,

Post up your build pics! Would be curious how the 2x2x4 turns out. Right now I am planning 3x3x5 myself.

I bought at 5lb stuffer early on and I don't know how I could live without it. I sold it last year and upgraded to a 15lb stuffer.
      I will. It will probably be too small for most folks, but since I am basically a one-man show I am sure it will be enough for me, at least for a couple years. I grind a lot into burger as well, so a fair amount of mine goes there too. I grind venison with about 35% bacon, mix in my spices as I do it, and stuff it in the plastic tubes burger comes in. That way when it comes time for some burgers you just thaw a few packages, make patties, and throw them on the grill. I put Lawrys season salt, black pepper, and McCormic hamburger seasoning in that mix. Good stuff.

Comment

For most folks... it will probably be the right size

Comment

Those pictures are just how I remember it as a kid. The elders passing on a tradition. Taste testing was my favorite part.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
            We get educated by our elders

Hope you realize just how lucky you are. I am way jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
              Those pictures are just how I remember it as a kid. The elders passing on a tradition. Taste testing was my favorite part.

Same here. We kids did a lot of the tedious jobs like mashing garlic, grabbing beers, washing containers or tieing strings while watching the adults run the grinders, stuffers and smokehouses.

Comment

Quick question....where can you buy the rebar?
                I tried making sausage last winter and in my opinion failed miserably. It was the first attempt. When you are stuffing casings, do you guys just make one gigantic long sausage? Tie them off? I struggled with air bubbles. The casing would break. It was frustrating. Anyone have a good recipe they don't mind sharing?

Comment

Smart, what recipe do you use for your hunters sticks? That's what failed miserably at last winter. I forgot to add any pork or fat. They were as dry as a popcorn fart. I do plan to build something very similar to what you have. Where did you find that little grill you use to hold you wood for the smoke?

Comment

Advice needed : Smoking sausage

Originally posted by Mitch914 View Post
                    Quick question....where can you buy the rebar?

I tried making sausage last winter and in my opinion failed miserably. It was the first attempt. When you are stuffing casings, do you guys just make one gigantic long sausage? Tie them off? I struggled with air bubbles. The casing would break. It was frustrating. Anyone have a good recipe they don't mind sharing?

Rebar can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot and cut to length.

We stuff in one long tube of guts and spin it in a circle to keep it all on the table until that one gut runs out. Then we cut off 19" pieces and twist the end closed. No more tying strings for us.

It takes some experience to keep the right amount of pressure on the gut to keep the air bubbles out. It's also much easier with 2 people. Once you get it down it's like riding a bike. It's a feel thing. Just watch it and make sure the casing fills up.

Comment

Got a pic of my smokehouse. It's 4X4X8. The drier hose is a bit long so I'll cut it down to make it work.

Skinny

Comment

Smart is right, it gets easy with practice. For anyone but especially I suggest a remote foot pedal to turn the grinder on and off. Makes it much easier to control the stuffing process.

Comment

If it's cold smoked, it still needs to be cooked if it doesn't have cure correct?
                          Has anyone tried cold smoking bacon?

Comment

If it's cold smoked, it still needs to be cooked if it doesn't have cure correct?
                            Cure or no cure it needs to be cooked.

Comment

I have made about 100 lb of bacon to date. All cold smoke. Be careful with it though. You won't b able to go back to store bought!

Comment

I cubed up 8 pork butts and two deer today. Still got a whole hog on ice that I need to cube up as well. Can't wait till Tuesday to make a little hang down!!!

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                                X