Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broadside or Quatering away shot? Which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadside or Quatering away shot? Which is better?

After reading a post by Tuthdoc (who I find very knowledgeable and enjoy his posts) in an earlier thread about ground blind set-ups, he said he passed on a quatering away shot at a buck. I am new to this game, but this last year, I passed on 2 chances at broadside shots to get a quatering away shot at the buck I harvested. Being my first buck with a bow, I didn't want to chance getting to far back with a broadside shot(buck fever kills me). My question is which shot is better to try to take? Or are they both about equal in killing percentages to take? Thanks.

Both are good shots. I prefer the broadside, more likely to get both lungs that way. With the quartering away its a little easier to get the heart but if your a little high you chance taking out only one lung.

Comment

depends on how much angle we is talking... too much and you got to gut shoot the animal to hit the off lung...

Comment

i prefer the broadside shot

mule deer pic for reference, this is a dream shot

i'm aiming for the opposite shoulder

Comment

Broadside,but waiting for that step to exposs his vitals

Comment

There's is no real perfect answer to this. It all depends on the shooter and what angle they are most comfortable taking. It sounds like you were smart in your situation to wait for a quartering away shot, as that is where your confidence was. I, however, am more confident in taking a broadside shot with the front leg forward.

Comment

I like a broadside shot at 15-20yds. Slip an arrow in low and behind the shoulder. IF you get a pass through(which you should), you should have a great and short blood trail. I have watched several deer go down with this shot.

Comment

Well put J-Bone.

Comment

I myself won't pass either of the shots but I do prefer a slight quartering away shot. I have had better luck watching deer fall from the stand with a .25 away shot. That being said the majority of my hunting is from an elevated stand. But I will also shoot this shot from the ground without hesitation.

Comment

Ive always kinda wondered the same thing. glad to see some good responces. I personally like a broadside shot but whenever it feels like its the right time it just happens!

Comment

As said above, slightly quartering away is a completely different shot than heavy quartering. I prefer the slight quartering away shot if everything else is equal.

Comment

I honestly don't care. I'll take either one.

Comment

I'll take a slight quartering away shot, but much more than that, I won't take it. I know what shot I'll take before I get in the blind and it doesn't change with size of the animal, the time of day, or the time of year. One thing that's always grated on me is the ol' "it's the only shot he gave me" or "it was the end of the year" or "he was too big to pass". There was a time that I set one pin at 26 yards and would shoot deer with that pen to 30. It was where I practiced all the time. As I've gotten older, my range has been decreased. Not because I can't kill them at greater distances or not because of some idea that it tests me more to get them closer, it's just that at 20 and in, it's really hard for me to screw up.

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses. I should have stated "slightly quartering away" since that is what I was thinking and the shot that I waited for. I have watched many of the videos that have been posted on the greenscreen and most of them are broadside shots but never noticed that the leg was moved forward. I will try this on a doe in this upcoming season to build some confidence.

Comment

slight quartering away as compared to a complete broadside, but either way I'm letting the arrow fly!

Comment

Working...
                              X