Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
kae006
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comfort, SHNF
Default Taxi Ethical Question

Dropped a duck off at a taxidermist back in early December. The taxi told me it would be a six week turnaround. I questioned that 6 weeks seemed really quick and he said he had a bunch of ducks to do and was going to knock them out together after drying. I followed up with them at the beginning of March and he said they were drying but would be done in a week or two. Fast forward to April and I got the same response, that he had several that were about to be finished and he was sure mine was in that batch. I moved out of state a few days ago and still hadnít heard back from the taxi. I left a $40 or $80 deposit but still owed about $200 I think, Iíd have to double check my receipt once we unpack. So what do I do when the taxi does eventually call me saying my bird is ready, if ever. Do I offer to pony up the cash to have it boxed and shipped, or do I tell him to just keep it? I wanted my bird back but Iím not really interested in paying extra now just because he blew he timeline. So ignoring wanting the mount back, whatís the ethical decision?
kae006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

If I was the taxi I'd ship it on my dime since I blew the finish date by a lot.. he may be willing to do it just to get the rest of his money.. if he wouldn't and I didn't care too much about the duck I wouldn't pay the rest.. I'd also hate to pay the rest then he refuse to ship unless you pay..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
Charles
Pope & Young

Call him let him know your intentions. Make the call sooner rather than later.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
Txbownut
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas, East Texas, Colorado

Taxidermists that are worth their salt usually take much longer than 6 weeks on anything, because they are busy. And taxidermists that charge less than $300 for a duck would make me suspicious of their experience and quality. That being said, I would pay to ship it just to see what it looked like.
Txbownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

At $300, that will probably be money wasted on shipping when you open up the box.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

If you want my honest opinion, I’d never believe a taxidermist if he said something was going to be ready in 6 weeks. You need to think about a taxidermist like your wife. If she says it’s going to take her 30 minutes to get ready, most men already know to prepare to wait at least an hour. Same with taxidermist. Nothing against taxidermists. It’s just the way it goes. I’ve had quite a bit of taxidermy done, so I know the wait times. Guys that don’t have much done tend to be gullible and impatient.

Regarding shipping your bird, I’d see if he’d split the shipping cost with you. Did you inform him you were moving out of state and you wanted it before the move? If I knew I was moving within the next year and did not want to hassle with shipping, I would have left it in the freezer until I made the move.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
Robert
Eight Point

I left two with Bird Works with 1/2 deposit in 2013 and I'm still waiting on them. I bet they will be awesome when I get them back.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

Call and tell him. Not paying the balance is wrong on your part.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #9
sideways
Ten Point

Pay him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sideways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
Texantax
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Magnolia, Rocksprings, Concan

Should start a thread called customer ethical question
Texantax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #11
aggieman08
Eight Point

Why do so many taxidermists have problems hitting the finish dates that they, themselves establish? Is it that hard, what am I missing? Allen Palermo and Mike Baird seem to always hit or beat thier due dates.
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #12
aggieman08
Eight Point

I’ve had a lot of great work done and unfortunately, I have dealt with a few pathological liars. One excuse after another..after another.
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Allen Palermo , did some very nice work for me and hit the date on the money!!
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
Azzy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mountain Home, Tx

$280 on a duck seems really cheap, and 6 weeks is rather a short time. If his work is any good, I’d pay the shipping. I’ve never gotten a bird done but my taxi charges like $350 and does great work too but there’s no way he’d give someone a 6 week time line.

I’d let him know you don’t want it. Taxidermy isn’t an easy job and he probably bit off more than he could chew.

My taxidermists tells me 6 months on a deer, I’ll be happy if I see it before next season and I don’t bug him about it. They usually have a main job and taxidermist is a hobby to bring in a bit of extra income.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #15
kae006
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texantax View Post
Should start a thread called customer ethical question

Jason,

Itís definitely an ethical question on my end, not the taxiís, just wasnít sure how to title the thread in a way that even remotely described the post content. I did inform them of my impending move in March, as that was when I found out I would be leaving. As far as the pricing, this place was right in line with all the others I looked up for a duck mount, with the exception of a couple outliers. I didnít pick the cheapest place, nor the priciest. It was my first wood duck so I would definitely like to have it back, but donít want to get stuck with a $50 shipping bill either. As far as the timeline, 6 weeks definitely seemed crazy fast to me and I would have been fine if he had told me 6 months. I just donít understand why they give an unrealistic ETA to begin with. Tell me 6 months and Iíll be happy if itís done in 4 but tell me 6 months and take a year and Iíll be annoyed.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #16
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

I pay $250/duck he does great work.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #17
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

When or if he ever calls...tell him you are still trying to trying to find the checkbook from the move. Let him call again but then state you ran out of checks & are waiting for the new batch to come in.

Might do him good to be the receiver on that end of the game for a while.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #18
97JeepGuy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Livingston, Tx

Cypress slough is around $250 and does flat out amazing work in BCS...
97JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #19
Texantax
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Magnolia, Rocksprings, Concan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kae006 View Post
Jason,

It’s definitely an ethical question on my end, not the taxi’s, just wasn’t sure how to title the thread in a way that even remotely described the post content. I did inform them of my impending move in March, as that was when I found out I would be leaving. As far as the pricing, this place was right in line with all the others I looked up for a duck mount, with the exception of a couple outliers. I didn’t pick the cheapest place, nor the priciest. It was my first wood duck so I would definitely like to have it back, but don’t want to get stuck with a $50 shipping bill either. As far as the timeline, 6 weeks definitely seemed crazy fast to me and I would have been fine if he had told me 6 months. I just don’t understand why they give an unrealistic ETA to begin with. Tell me 6 months and I’ll be happy if it’s done in 4 but tell me 6 months and take a year and I’ll be annoyed.
I hear ya bud but threads like this just irk me when I think about the thousands of dollars worth of work I’ve been stiffed on. And it’s also usually the customers that call several times to check on the status of a mount that take the longest to pick it up when it’s ready.

Last edited by Texantax; 04-15-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Texantax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #20
kae006
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texantax View Post
I hear ya bud but threads like this just irk me when I think about the thousands of dollars worth of work Iíve been stiffed on

Itís definitely not my intention to stiff him, however if he finished it in even triple his estimate I would have had it prior to leaving the state. I plan to call tomorrow and tell him my situation. The wife will still be there another month or two and my movers will crate and ship it for free so if he knocks it out by then I can still make it work without costing either of us extra coin.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #21
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Pay him. He's out the time and money to get the bird mounted. If you don't pay thenhe has to eat the cost and hope someone will buy it from him and cut his loss. I think every taxi i know has had people stiff them and leave them holding a mount they don't want.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #22
kae006
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYBUCK View Post
Pay him. He's out the time and money to get the bird mounted. If you don't pay thenhe has to eat the cost and hope someone will buy it from him and cut his loss. I think every taxi i know has had people stiff them and leave them holding a mount they don't want.

I understand that, and Iím sure thatís the reason behind the deposit. But what if he doesnít offer to at least split the cost of shipping? Should I be out that expense because he blew the timeline? Seems like there should at least be some onus to deliver on time when youíre requesting payment up front.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #23
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kae006 View Post
I understand that, and Iím sure thatís the reason behind the deposit. But what if he doesnít offer to at least split the cost of shipping? Should I be out that expense because he blew the timeline? Seems like there should at least be some onus to deliver on time when youíre requesting payment up front.
I would simply not let this steal your joy amigo...to me you have two options.

~Call him & let him know the situation & your concern of it being shipped / could get damaged / extra cost / etc...he's got 30-45 days for your wife to pick it up & if he can't meet that deadline before she bolts north, would he agree to ship on his dime and/or split because he's late.

~Forget about it & let him call, then negotiate the shipping.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #24
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

$50 to ship for my first woodduck, if the mount is good, is nothing in the grand scheme of things....especially 3 years down the road when you look back on it.. Yes he gave you an unrealistic timeline but he also didn't make you move. $330 for a duck mount these days is realistic.....

I'd rather pay $50 extra for my first woodduck than regular price for my second but I'm a little sentimental.

One more thing. Right now as it sits, with what you owe....($200 and say maybe $50 for shipping) $250 is cheaper than what its gonna cost you to get your next woodduck mounted. You are already out the deposit either way..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #25
cattlelackranch
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas and Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
$50 to ship for my first woodduck, if the mount is good, is nothing in the grand scheme of things....especially 3 years down the road when you look back on it.. Yes he gave you an unrealistic timeline but he also didn't make you move. $330 for a duck mount these days is realistic.....

I'd rather pay $50 extra for my first woodduck than regular price for my second but I'm a little sentimental.

One more thing. Right now as it sits, with what you owe....($200 and say maybe $50 for shipping) $250 is cheaper than what its gonna cost you to get your next woodduck mounted. You are already out the deposit either way..

This is a pretty level headed response. Although I would have him send me some pictures first.
cattlelackranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #26
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post

Agreed. Just deal with the situation you are in now. Get your animal back and on the wall.
Kdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #27
wilcox1088
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYBUCK View Post
This but the bad thing is you canít sell waterfowl mounts unless they are pen raised. He is going to have to eat the money on material and time wasted on your bird that he could have spent on someone elseís that WILL pick it up. No, he didnít make you move but Yes he did give you an unrealistic time frame if he has plenty of wor
wilcox1088 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #28
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I would simply not let this steal your joy amigo...to me you have two options.

~Call him & let him know the situation & your concern of it being shipped / could get damaged / extra cost / etc...he's got 30-45 days for your wife to pick it up & if he can't meet that deadline before she bolts north, would he agree to ship on his dime and/or split because he's late.

~Forget about it & let him call, then negotiate the shipping.
So basically 18 weeks after he started he still has the original 6 weeks to finish it LOL

Joking aside the above is what I would do. Get pictures before paying for it.

It would be a real blow to end up paying shipping and then getting a POS mount.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #29
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: Only my dreams for now.

I'm not sure why so many responses bring up the cost and ETA as not being what should be expected. If taxi promised it and price was acceptable to OP, those aren't part of the equation.
You have paid a deposit. I think it would be wrong to wait until finished and decline to pay.
I think you should talk to taxi and tell him the situation. If he doesn't propose a solution you deem acceptable, tell him you're done and that he should not proceed.
I would then ask for my deposit back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #30
kae006
Ten Point

Update:

Called the taxi yesterday and he said the bird would be ready next week. I told him my wife would be able to pick it up if it was done next week. Explained the situation and he said the only other option was I pay for shipping, but not a problem since my wife can get it as long as itís done before June.

Then he calls me this morning and says that his notes say someone called me in January and told me my duck was ďno goodĒ. He said they didnít realize it wasnít good until they fleshed it out and it started falling apart. He offered to refund me my deposit minus $25 for fleshing it. I questioned why he told me it would be done in a week and why he gave me the same story about it drying the last three times I had reached out to him and he said that was his brother in law. Nobody ever called me I. January about my bird either.

My wife will go by there and collect my entire deposit, what a waste.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #31
Mesquite Archer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney / Abilene, KS

His notes say "someone" called in January. Somehow, he knows it was the brother in law that told you three times it was drying but his notes don't specify who "someone" is.

It sounds like one lie after another on top of a whole lot of DGAF about customer service. Good luck getting your deposit back. Why does your wife have to pick it up can't he drop a check in the mail? Either way sorry to hear you got the run around.
Mesquite Archer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #32
aggie182
Six Point

Ah man, that sucks.
aggie182 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top