No announcement yet.

Who hunts with a Ruger No. 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mines a .270 , wood stock, blue barrell, 20 years old and shoots lights out. Wouldn't sell it for nothing.

Comment

Have one -it started out as 25-06 and shot 1 ragged hole,decided i wanted a little more umph behind it and had it rebarelled to a 270 WSM.Still shoots the same,one of my favorites-very classy rifles.

Comment

Never shot one, but a friend of mine had one about 15 years ago in 300WM. I held it and I swear, it was the most "feels good in the hands" gun I've ever seen. A sweet, sweet gun, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

As others have noted, however, the new ones might not be as good as the old ones. Go to this page and open the first to pictures - the "falling block breech mechanism" and the "sliding tang safety" and notice how rough it looks. Hard to believe a company would put something like that on their web site.

Their caliber selection has veered off, as well. They used to make them in heavier, long-range calibers like the 300WM and .375 H&H as well as some heavy-barrel versions in calibers like 22-250 and .220 Swift. No more. Who's going to buy a single-shot rifle for a close-up brush gun?
        Last edited by Ruark; 03-21-2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

There not all super accurate, some need forend work. I have a 30-06 stainless, it shot great groups but would shift in big weather changes. They use forend pressure to tune but using wood means it can change with weather. I sanded my forend until I free floated barrel then bedded to receiver. now no matter the weather it holds its zero.

Comment

Got one when I was 13 years old. 1976 Bicentennial Commemorative Model 1 6 MM. Love that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
              Seems legit.
              ......... ok....

Comment

I like my #1 International in 275 Rigby. I have had others but prefer this one. No question when in a #1 id a short action or long action is better for the 275 Rigby.

Comment

I'm sorry, I omitted the link in my earlier post. Go to this page and click on the first two "+" links: "Compact, simple falling-block...." and "Sliding tang safety....." and look how rough the workmanship is. I can't imagine a major company putting pictures like that on their web site.

Comment

I did. 25-06 heavy barrel. Approx. 1980 model.
                    Accurate with good trigger. Loved the gun for deer. Traded it for a hog gun years ago that held 5 rounds.

Comment

Here’s a 22-250 I’m considering parting ways with
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have and I still own the little darling. 7 x 57, bought it in '87, I think it was. Scoped with a Leupold variable, 1.5 x 5. no bell, seemed to be a perfect marriage.
                        Minute of angle accuracy with both Hornady 139 grain and Federal Premium 140 grain ammo. Never tried any other cartridges, didn't feel to need to look any farther. I'll also mention that I ain't the greatest rifle shooter to be found. Moderate recoil, not very loud - a genuine pleasure to shoot.
                        Haven't used it since I took up bowhunting, which was in '05. Would post a photo, but it is it my son's gunsafe (along with all my other rifles) as I type this reply.

Bob Lee

Comment

My favorite guns! I have a few myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                            I'm sorry, I omitted the link in my earlier post. Go to this page and click on the first two "+" links: "Compact, simple falling-block...." and "Sliding tang safety....." and look how rough the workmanship is. I can't imagine a major company putting pictures like that on their web site.

https://ruger.com/products/no1/models.html
                            The rear of the block do look rough !

Comment

I have 2 mk77 MKII one in 280 2nd in 25-06.. zero issues, and love them..

Comment

I've got a pair of weatherbys, 270 and 257.

Comment

Working...
                                X