Wanting a tradional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting a tradional

I am looking at the Martin Jaguar takedown.
    What are your thoughts on non wood tradional bows?

Im assuming this bow is a metal handle bow, If you want to shoot instinctive a traditional wood handled bow shooting off the shelf will probably shoot better for you. Most of the metal bows will require using a rest or building up and padding the riser to shoot off the shelf. Be sure to use feather fletched arrows for shooting off the shelf. I prefer all wood bows myself, just depends on what style shooting you prefer. I would recomend going with a light weight bow around 45# to start with, you can always move up after you get the hang of it. If your new to stick bows, you can get some good deals on ebay for a starter bow. GOOD LUCK!

Comment

I own one metal riser bow at this time, and have shot half a dozen different ones along my way. I have no problem with them and if you like that bow I see no reason not to get it. I do shoot them off the shelf.

I would like to add one of those metal Hoyts, but don't want to spend 4 or 5 hundred bucks...If one of them comes along for a couple a hundred...I am all over that.

Comment

Metal riser bows been around longer than the compound as for traditional its just as much so as a carbon and aluminum arrow or metal broadhead if you like it shoot it don't worry what any body else thinks its all about having fun.

Comment

I've never shot a Martin Jaguar but I like metal-riser trad bows in general. I've looked at that bow before though and one thing that I know that I would not like about it is the set-back or "reflexed" handle. It is probably a fast bow but would be difficult to shoot.

I've shot both the Hoyt metal-riser bows and like them and also the Quinn line of bows that are made in Texas. If you watch the classified sites the resale price on the Hoyt bows has dropped quite a bit in the last year or so.

Comment

The Quinn Stallion is one of the best metal riser recurves on the market.
            And new it sells for less than $300.
            It has a great center shot radiused shelf
            but also shoots as well from a rest
            great bow.

Comment

thanks for your help and happy hunting

Comment

I purchased the Jaguar at Cabelas last week as a backup bow. Mine is a 40lb draw and is a hoot to shoot. I've been using the plastic rest that came with it but will convert it to shoot off the shelf. It does well with carbon, alum, or wood. I agree with CaptJack, you will get a better quality bow with a Quinn. But if your just starting in archery or need backup bow, for the price a Jaguar is hard to beat.

Comment

My neighbor's son, Danny, has a 1960's, magnesium, "A" riser Bear recurve that was given to him by a family friend. I bought him a new string and set it up for him to shoot off the shelf, it's pretty sweet.

He's 15 and took 3rd with it in the Men's Traditional class at our Wednesday night league shoot at Texins last week!

Like Chunky said, I'd have a hard time paying what they want for some of the new models...but the TradTech & Dalaa bows have caught my eye. Honestly, I'd probably still be looking at a custom bow instead if I were dropping that kinda coin on another bow.
                  Last edited by tinman; 08-03-2009, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X