Hunting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting question

How do most of you hunt for deer or hogs? Tree stands or blind? Still hunting?

Just curious. I know a lot of people hunt with feeders and blinds/stands. I don't have anything against the feeder thing, but I don't think I want to hunt that way. I have killed two deer in OH. First one was a button buck that I shot at 15 yrds or so while stillhunting. Second was a really nice mature 8 point with a muzzleloader. I will always be more proud of the button buck that I snuck up on while stillhunting with a crossbow (legal in bow season in OH)

Just curious how most of you hunt. I know my chances of success are small stillhunting, but that is what I want to do when my marksmanship is good enough.

Again, I have nothing against people using feeders and blinds. Anything legal is fine with me, I just have different goals. The same reason I want to shoot traditional rather than high powered rifle, for the challenge.

If you're gonna do it that way, you need to do it on a high fenced ranch.
    Everyone knows the deer are dumber and easier to kill in a high fence!

Yes, I'm kidding!

Comment

I have taken many hogs and one whitetail by stalking/still hunting. It is very rewarding, but not always practical.

If you are on a lease or even a day hunt place, you have to worry about the guy hunting a few hundred yards from you. A lot of places are small and if you push the animals too hard they will just leave your place. If you were out west you could just go to the next drainage, but that is not possible here.

If you have a place that it works for you, go for it....and let us know how you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
        I have taken many hogs and one whitetail by stalking/still hunting. It is very rewarding, but not always practical.

If you are on a lease or even a day hunt place, you have to worry about the guy hunting a few hundred yards from you. A lot of places are small and if you push the animals too hard they will just leave your place. If you were out west you could just go to the next drainage, but that is not possible here.

If you have a place that it works for you, go for it....and let us know how you do.
        Good point. That is kind of why I asked. I am new to the area, and want to be as practical as I can. I still have a lot to learn. The only deer hunting I have experience with is small woods in OH farm country: Get permission from a farmer you know and hunt his small patch of woods. I have never hunted public land, but I would like to try Sam Houston NF someday.

Comment

I hunt where there are very few trees in SW Kansas. Finding a high spot to glass from and then watching deer bed down for the day works well. You can either stalk them or figure out where they are going to go when they get up. Sometimes you can sneak right up on them and sometimes you get busted. I do agree that this is much more fun than shooting over a feeder but probably not very practical in some terrains. It's also great exercise as you get to crawl and belly crawl for hours sometimes.

Comment

I started out hunting deer from the ground, no blind. Just waiting in ambush backed up against the brush. I had them coming within 20yds all the time. However, everytime I would go to draw they would catch the movement and spook out of the area. I ended up buying a tripod and have had lots of success that away. I dont think you have to hunt infront of a feeder as long as you can find a good trail they frequent. Once I get a little better at the whole archery thing I will try to move back down to the ground. I think you just have to do things in steps sometimes.

Comment

I like to hunt out of a concealed ground blind. I brush it in.

Comment

Thinking back on my first deer that I killed while still hunting, it was a windy day. If it wasn't so windy with the branches moving around, I probably would have got busted when I lifted the crossbow to shoot.

Another reason I was curious about this is that I am interested in hunting public land. I know that it is probably difficult or maybe illegal to hang a tree stand. I guess the next best option would be to use a deadfall as a natural blind. I am sure there are plenty after Ike.

Comment

Working...
                X