Concan/Frio River – Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concan/Frio River – Recommendations

I’m headed to the Frio/River Concan area next week; we’ll be there 3 days/4 nights. Looking for recommendations on the best places. (Tube Rentals, Food, Swimming Holes, etc)

Thanks!

Happy Hollow is always good for tubes and such. As for food, our favorites are Mama Choles, Vinnys Pizzeria (only open Friday and Saturday), and Bent Rim Grill. Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia is pretty good also if you want to drive a little further.

Comment

If you love Texas outdoors, how could you not know the Frio? Well, maybe you’re one of the millions of newcomers who just got to Texas. Or perhaps you’ve lived in Texas your entire life and, unlike all those people whose families have been vacationing on the Frio for generations, you have no clue what or where they are talking about. Never stepped foot in Garner State Park? Think Concan is in Mexico? Well, pull up a chair and scoot closer. Read More >

Hope you find this helpful. I will have mi familia at Frio pecan cabins the 19 -22. Our first visit. Park entry reservations (Highly suggested) for Fri evening and Sat morn. Probably watch the bat flight one evening. Bellamy Bros playing at one of the local outdoor venues. Tickets 25. Probably a heck of a show but after a day of tubing I doubt we will make it. Hope you have a great time. Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll second the bat flight..that was pretty cool.

Comment

Thanks! Keep them coming. Any river rules/regulations I need to be aware of?

Comment

We always stayed at neals if there wasn’t any room at my grandmas. They have tubes, wildlife tours, petting zoo, stocked pond with catfish, large and small mouth, etc. Haven’t been in years but the restaurant across the street was good. Have heard the house pasture has good food as well, but I’ve only been for the concerts and beer

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
              We always stayed at neals if there wasn’t any room at my grandmas. They have tubes, wildlife tours, petting zoo, stocked pond with catfish, large and small mouth, etc. Haven’t been in years but the restaurant across the street was good. Have heard the house pasture has good food as well, but I’ve only been for the concerts and beer
              They also have available for your enjoyment, very loud and at times profane music along the river, snot faced commode hugging drunk 20something year olds roaming around freely on golf carts that Neal's rents to them.
              When I complained, one of the Neal's employees told me that inside my cabin or other campgrounds were an option....you believe that ****!!!!!
              Neal's use to be a great place until a few years back when the new owners took over and are doing their best to make it 1980's era New Braunfels West. It is a shame too since they DO have one of the better swimming holes on the river.
              If that is the environment that a person is looking for, it is a great place but if it is a family (with younger kids or grandkids) type thing you are looking for....there are way better choices than Neal's

Comment

We'll be there 17th thru the 21st. We rent from Frio Family Getaway and the folks that run it are great people. The Bellamy Brothers will be at House Pasture Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by K. Lane View Post
                  They also have available for your enjoyment, very loud and at times profane music along the river, snot faced commode hugging drunk 20something year olds roaming around freely on golf carts that Neal's rents to them.
                  When I complained, one of the Neal's employees told me that inside my cabin or other campgrounds were an option....you believe that ****!!!!!
                  Neal's use to be a great place until a few years back when the new owners took over and are doing their best to make it 1980's era New Braunfels West. It is a shame too since they DO have one of the better swimming holes on the river.
                  If that is the environment that a person is looking for, it is a great place but if it is a family (with younger kids or grandkids) type thing you are looking for....there are way better choices than Neal's
                  I had no clue.. haven’t stayed there in years. I’m lucky that I don’t have to go where everyone else is

Comment

Originally posted by Rustythebeagle View Post
                    I’m headed to the Frio/River Concan area next week; we’ll be there 3 days/4 nights. Looking for recommendations on the best places. (Tube Rentals, Food, Swimming Holes, etc)

Thanks!
                    Where are you staying? What part of the river?

Don't forget to stop by the One Stop in Sabinal and pick up some firewood!!

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                      I had no clue.. haven’t stayed there in years. I’m lucky that I don’t have to go where everyone else is
                      I will say that this was the summer of 2017. They couldve reverted back closer to the original in the intervening 2 summers

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

House Pasture has good food and live music on Fri/Sat nights
                        Great golf course behind it a 1/4 mile
                        Frio Country crossing is a good place to just sit in the water and people watch
                        Neals is the best swimming hole (swings, slide, giant rocks, ect.ect)
                        Neals is also the best food (best fried pickles I have had)
                        Get a day pass (get their EARLY if you want to get in) for Garner State Park to climb Ol Baldy and then some time on the rope swings - Go back that evening for the dance since you already have a day pass

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
                          Where are you staying? What part of the river?

Don't forget to stop by the One Stop in Sabinal and pick up some firewood!!
                          We got an AirBnb on CR348/River Road, Concan. Right in the middle of where the river bends.

Comment

Originally posted by K. Lane View Post
                            I have noticed this to....its not as bad as NEW B but its coming....I have confronted several young 20 somethings and told them to turn the music or else...they always seem to listen....young kids floating all around them too...
                            I was about to take that stereo and slam dunk it to the bottom of that river...

Comment

Originally posted by Rustythebeagle View Post
                              We got an AirBnb on CR348/River Road, Concan. Right in the middle of where the river bends.
                              Nice there is so much construction and new places going on up there now it is hard to keep up with it all.

I work 20 minutes from there and live in hondo the amount of people going to the frio every year is crazy.

Was just there this week Monday the water looks good it has been higher and lower but really nice right now.

Ya'll have fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X