Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use Guineafowl to keep snakes out of the yard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use Guineafowl to keep snakes out of the yard?

Does it really work?

I'm gonna fence the back yard at the new place and my wife doesn't want her Dobermans eaten by rattlers and copperheads.

Do guineafowl really keep them out?

I saw some chicks on CL for $4 each.

My main problem would be stopping the dogs from killing the birds.
    Attached Files

They will keep snakes away, but be prepared for lots of noise, they are loud.

Comment

I tried them, and I think it’s possible that they help, but they aren’t 100%. I saw ours literally step over a rattle snake and go on about their business. I do think that just having them roaming around the yard keeping things stirred up helps. I have chickens now and I think that they do the same thing. One thing about guineas is they will roam, that’s how we lost ours, they roamed to our neighbors hose and decided that they liked it better. Our chickens stay within a couple hundred yards or their house all the time.

Comment

Get barn cats- don't make noise, no mess, and you wont see them much when you are out. I got 6 Guinea when I had chickens. They made a mess on the porch and made enough noise to make it about 2 weeks. Gave my kid a box of #6 shot and told him to get rid of them.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Do they make noise only during daylight or 24/7?

Comment

I never thought they were that noisy.It was a big place,but they will figure out how to kill themselves.
            Seen em eat a bunch of snakes,and basically live off grasshoppers.If they see a car,they will get in front of it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Redneck burglar alarm

Comment

Outside/barn cats are the way to go. Feed them and give them a safe place to sleep.

Comment

My parents had them and they worked as far as snakes go but raccoons and fox kept killing them as did the neighbors dogs. Dad would actually collect eggs and eat them.

Comment

They are cool little dinosaurs... my neighbor had some and they were EXTREMELY noisy and must have been really depressed because they kept running out in front of cars.

Comment

I'd rather have the snakes.

Comment

About 25 years ago when I was younger and dumber, I lived almost in the country; decent amount of land around my 1 acre place. Decided I wanted some guineas, so I found someone that sold them and bought 3-4 over lunch and took them home. When I came home from work, there were 3-4 carcasses strewn about the yard with my lab wagging his tail. I had trained my lab to retrieve dove and duck.

Not my finest moment.

Comment

Mine Roosted in the trees and if anything came close to the yard or house, they made more noise than a Tarzan jungle movie.. They seem to just of disappeared over time.

Comment

They are a better security system than snake eradication system. If you can handle the noise they are kinda cool.

Comment

We have lots of roadrunners. They seem to keep the snakes in check around here.

Comment

Working...
                              X