No announcement yet.

Best beach in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rig a rod you can cast about 50 - 100 yards with a 3 ounce sinker. Any rod 8ft to 12ft (the longer the better for distance) is suitable for surf.

Leader setup: Use a Double hook leader with the weight on the bottom. Hook size 1 to 1/0 Kahle and or Circle hooks - the thinner the hook the better.

Leader is 20 or 30 lb test.

Tie a 50lb test black barrel swivel to your mainline, then tie the leader drop below with two hooks. You can go loop knot or use 3 way barrel swivels. I use 3 way barrels which help stand off the hooks and controls spin with the fishbite swimming in the surf.

Line to the reel around 15 lb test.

Add little colored floats above each hook.

Bait: buy shrimp flavored Fishbites (pink, orange and chartreuse).

Cast this up wind and up current out past the 2nd and or out to the 3rd sandbar.

Let the line swing with the current if its running and hold the rod in your hand...feeling for bites.

Looks like this and catches Florida Pompano, Whiting, Redfish, Bluefish, Blackdrum and the occasional Speckled trout.

Florida Pompano - excellent eating

Blackdrum - excellent eating in this size and note the shells. You want to find an area full of small little Coquina clams. Coquina clams are thumbnail sized clams, and you will note small shorebirds running up and down the sand, sticking their beaks into the sand rooting around to find them and Ghostshrimp. Read the tide line where sand and sea meet and read the birds and how they are feeding with beaks buried into the sand. Any area with shell and these signs = higher odds to scoring Pompano, Whiting and low slot sized Blackdrum.
    Last edited by AtTheWall; 06-04-2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

When used to take the kids (before Harvey, so not sure what is back up and running) we would rent a house in Port A and rent a golf cart for mom and daughter. The girls could meet my son and I at the beach, jetties, pier etc., where we would be fishing. They could make a run back to the cool house whenever they wanted. We would meet up and eat lunch at DQ or the Island Cafe, go see what the party boats caught and then clean up and go eat a nice dinner.. After supper, son and I would hit Station Street, Charlies Pasture or the causeway to do some night fishing. Great times. It is a lot different than it used to be. You just have to get used to the crowds.

It just depends on the experience you want. I agree that south on PINS is would be a better beach experience.

Comment

As been said, for Texas, SPI. I'm partial because my folks took me for years and now I take my family. I've done Florida and the Caribbean but I just seem to enjoy SPI the most.

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
          I'm glad you said this. Have you tried sand flea fish bites?

Reason I ask is that I picked some up for cheap..... but if I must, I'll get some shrimp as well.
          I'm sure that will be fine. Small chunks of shrimp from Stripes works too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Danged ol nasty Texas beaches.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

AtTheWall I have always wanted to go down there fishing. Your posts on it always make me want to go bad. One of these days I will do it. Is October a good time to go for fishing? I have bass rods and reels, and that is about as big as I have, hopefully that will work ok.

Comment

South Padre is very nice. I have only been to Galveston/Bolivar and South Padre. Would like to try Port A next time if we ever go again.

I have been to Destin and Orange Beach. Honestly I thought South Padre was just as good.

Here is a pic when we went to South Padre in August 2016.
                Attached Files

Comment

My pics were on North Padre Island. Corpus.

Comment

just got back Sunday from Port A for a long 4th of July weekend and the water was the cleanest I have ever seen it and there wasn't much seaweed at all. Will be heading back down next Wednesday for a few more days

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                      just got back Sunday from Port A for a long 4th of July weekend and the water was the cleanest I have ever seen it and there wasn't much seaweed at all. Will be heading back down next Wednesday for a few more days
                      Got any pictures? We we're down there the third week in June and the water was the worst i've ever seen it. Pretty much brown the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
                        Got any pictures? We we're down there the third week in June and the water was the worst i've ever seen it. Pretty much brown the whole time.
                        No sir my wife is the picture taker. The water was brown when you were there or the sand was? We had family down there the last week of June and they saw the same crystal clear water that we experienced. The water will always "look" brown from the shore because the sand is brown instead of white like other coastal beaches. If you walk out into the water calf deep and look down you can see how clear or unclear the water is by looking at your feet. I have been there when you couldn't see your feet at all. This time it was similar to walking through the Frio river in calf deep water.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          Probably the same drive for you to go to Alabama or Florida. Much prettier beaches there.
                          agree with this 100%

Comment

Gulf Shores or Orange Beach

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
                              This 20 miles south of Port A. Water was the same north in Rockport as well.

It's common. The water clears up from now until winter. The best is usually September and October. Right now the blue water is up the Packery and into the bay.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
                                agree with this 100%
                                I can assure you it's more than 3 hours and as the pictures show it's plenty nice in Texas. This ain't Galveston.

Comment

Working...
                                X