Age and score on this Dimmit Co buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age and score on this Dimmit Co buck?

I passed this buck last year thinking he was 4 or 5. He added a bunch of bone this year but dang I still can't get him past 4/5 yr. old. I'll post last years video (at least I THINK it is him) first and then this weekends video. For what it is worth he would be by far the biggest buck I have ever killed but I really believe he needs more age so I passed again. Always interested to see what other folks think on age and score.

I'm like you it's hard to tell how old he is. Maybe 4.5 or maybe 5.5 but I doubt it. As long as you think he is not going to be hammered by your neighbors I would hold out. You'll never get a 170 when you kill them at 155. Just my thoughts. If you have to ask yourself if he is big enough or old enough he normally isn't when he hits the ground. Beautiful deer either way.

Comment

Looks 4.5 this year

Comment

You did the right thing, he’s not ready to harvest, 5yr old max.

Comment

He might be 5 but I would let him go another year if possible. He has the potential to be a really awesome deer. Good luck with him.

Comment

He's not one we are going to shoot. Score estimates?

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
              He might be 5 but I would let him go another year if possible. He has the potential to be a really awesome deer. Good luck with him.
              ^^ this, looks like he's high 150s

One more year could do him a ton of good.

Comment

I believe that buck is north of 160 already. Maybe 161-164

Comment

You had me at Dimmit Co! He’s a pretty buck that’s for sure but I have to agree that he doesn’t look over 4.5 IMO. He needs another year or 2 in your situation to hopefully add some mass. Gorgeous animal btw.

Comment

I think he's over 160 now. I didn't get the look I wanted on him to determine age, but based on the 2 videos as evidence, I see him as at least 5.5.

Comment

I've got him at lower 60's also but definitely needs more time. He is pretty consistent in and around one of our feed pens (corn only right now) so I am going to start providing cotton seed. Can't afford to do it over the entire place but I am going to bite the bullet on this location and two others that I have some giant 2.5/3.5 yr olds frequenting.

Comment

157 5.5

Comment

I agree with about 160 and 5 years old, beautiful buck!

Comment

I went straight CS last year and will never look back. I was losing to much feed to non target animals with protein pellets. Not to mention my bucks inches are finally exceeding their age.

Comment

Working...
                            X