Your 2017 Trad Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your 2017 Trad Goals

Curious what my fellow trad bow hunters have as goals for this year. I know not everybody sets goals... maybe call them expectations if that works out better for ya

Personally, reflecting on last year, I can think of a couple of things I'd like to accomplish this year.

1) I'd like to get a hog with my Widow. I've killed a hog with a trad bow, but it was with my Samick. I've killed all my other "list" animals with my Widow, so I'd like to finally get a hog down with it. I came close this past WT season.

2) I'd like to get back into better physical shape so that hunting an Elk or an Aoudad can be a better reality.

3) I'd like to be able to kill 2 deer in WT season.

Other than that, I'll just roll with whatever opportunities may or may not be available to go hunting. I traded the annual trip to South Texas for Javis/Rabbits for the Trad Hog Hunt. Trying to stack my odds on getting a hog with the Widow and just generally try something different (I will miss very much chasing all them rabbits though...)

1) I'd like to get some animals in the bed of my truck or basket of my cart with a traditional bow or two.

2) I'd like to extend my confident shooting range to double what it is now. Currently that's 15 yards.

3) I'd like to increase my draw weight capability to 50lbs at my draw length.

4) I'd like to purchase a 50lbs at my draw length BW PSR and shoot it well.

5) Last but not least I would like to link up with some local traditional shooters, get back into a local club and learn how bad I am at this new obsession.

Gary

Comment

1. Take a Black Bear in Maine.

2. Have another great TBH Trad Hog Hunt with my Texas friends.

Other than that I'll just roll with whatever opportunities arise.

I really want for my wife and I to get back to South Texas to chase Javis, but I don't see that happening in 2017.

Comment

I am going to shoot my recurve more. I've only shot my longbow for the last year, since that is what i was taking to the woods. It's time to break the recurve out at the TBH Trad Hog Hunt!! Fitting, since thats where I bought it from Chris Hackworth.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
          1. Take a Black Bear in Maine.

2. Have another great TBH Trad Hog Hunt with my Texas friends.Other than that I'll just roll with whatever opportunities arise.

I really want for my wife and I to get back to South Texas to chase Javis, but I don't see that happening in 2017.
          That wont be too long Phillip!!

Comment

my goal is to have more hunting time, past two years during hunting season ive changed jobs so its screwed up my plans lol, I'm making more money so I was ok with not hunting as much, but this year my goal is to have two weeks off, one week off in late October and one week off in mid-November

and I'm MY ultimate goal is 2 whitetail deer....one for sure with the stickbow, I'm not scared to pull out the Remington for the other

Comment

My goal is to get good enough to take an animal with my selfbow.

Comment

My #1 goal for 2017 is to get back on a good deer lease!

Bisch

Comment

To take a pig in the next few months with my bow. Then to get a WT in the fall. Hoping to go on a mule deer hunt in NM in Jan next year. Need to increase my range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I really want to kill a deer with my recurve. I'm gonna try my best to not get tunnel vision on trying to kill a good buck, and just try to kill a legal deer with my recurve. I think not running trail cams will help with this. I also want to shoot a little further, so I'll practice a lot more at 20-25 over the summer. I'll still try to keep my shots from 12-15, but I'd like to feel comfortable at 20. And when my new bow gets here I want to spend a little more time tuning and get it as close to perfect as I can.

I'm also going to space out my vacation. I normally take 3 weeks off to hunt, and this year I took it all in October. Things started slow, and when rifle season opened I just grabbed a gun and zipped through my tags on my days off. Next year I plan to take a week in October, a week in November, and a week in December.

Comment

Stretch my range. I am very comfortable at 15 yards, mostly because 80% of my practice is at that distance or closer. There are days when I can stack them at 20 yards, but that comes and goes. I need to start shooting more arrows from 20+ so I know what that distance feels like and it becomes automatic.

Comment

1. Shoot a bunch of dang pigs this spring to make up for the SLOW deer season I just had!
                        2. Draw my Alaska caribou tag
                        3. Draw my Wyoming elk tag
                        4. kill my Alaska caribou
                        5. Kill my Wyoming elk

Comment

1) I want to increase my comfortable range out to 25 yards.

2) I want to take a deer and a hog with my current bow.

3) I want to own a 1968 Super Kodiak in 65lbs and be able to shoot well with it (this one is more of a dream than a goal).

4) I want to meet some more of you in person and learn all I can about this crazy addiction.

5) (this one is REALLY a dream) I've located a 1000 acre tract 20 minutes from the house that's for sale and has been for the last 15 years. I want to own it and host hunts for the trad folks here.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                            1) I want to increase my comfortable range out to 25 yards.

2) I want to take a deer and a hog with my current bow.

3) I want to own a 1968 Super Kodiak in 65lbs and be able to shoot well with it (this one is more of a dream than a goal).

4) I want to meet some more of you in person and learn all I can about this crazy addiction.

5) (this one is REALLY a dream) I've located a 1000 acre tract 20 minutes from the house that's for sale and has been for the last 15 years. I want to own it and host hunts for the trad folks here.

Richard.
                            If it's been for sale for 15 years, you should hit them up to see if they'd lease the hunting rights until it sells. Chances are if it hasn't sold by now it may be a while.

Comment

My goal is use my lease more than I am currently using right now so I can get my money worth. I also want that elusive hog everyone on the lease has seen and been unable shoot since last season.
                              Take an elk this season in Montana
                              Continue to Have a good time at the tbot shoots

Comment

Working...
                              X