Every thing crossbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every thing crossbow

I thought I would start a thread on crossbows since it seems many are getting into shooting and want to pass on what I have learned. I have have owned almost every brand and multiple models by each manufacturer. I also build my own arrows and spine index and match them as well.
    First start off with the bow, you don't always get what you pay for, some bows I have owned are upwards of $1500 ( bow only ) and others just a few hounded dollars. I believe a crossbow should have the following things,
    1st a machined rail / trigger box which will be the most repeatable.
    2nd Some bows allow you to decock them without shooting after a hunt which is a great feature it saves on serving wear as well.
    3rd is a feature only a few own that allow you to change strings without a bow press
    4th don't get caught up in speed or super narrow axle to axle length as these become a little more picky as to your arrows and can eat center serving.
    Next let's talk arrows and since there is no tuning so to speak like a verticle where you can micro tune your nocking point, arrow rest etc arrows are the most important key to your accuracy. each manufacturer has their own weight, length, and nocks that they recommend, I have built and tried many but the most hard hitting accurate I have found are black eagle executioners that have been spine indexed and matched. With factory arrows you will spend more from a local box store and get sub par accuracy, at the end of the day if your not shooting 1" groups out to your max hunting range then get some custom bees built.
    Now let's talk scopes, most come as a package and are simply junk, the two I have found to be very repeatable and usable is a HHA dial with a vortex rim fire scope that will give you a 50 yard parallex. The draw back to the Hha like their vertical bow sight is seeing the sight tapes in low light. I now prefer the Excalibur brand vari zone scope with illuminated reticle or a Hawke xb30 which also allows you to dial your yardage aim points in to the exact yardage instead of having odd yardages like that in a factory multi crosshair style scope .
    At the end of the day they are all accurate and will all hunt, but like anything else are you happy with pie plate accuracy or arrow splitting accuracy out to all yardages. They are louder than a verticle but some are getting it right and are getting close to that of a modern compound. They do require normal maintenance and since the string and serving are running across the rail it creates a lot of friction so this area of serving must be paid close attention to. Heck you guys get the point if y'all need any help feel free to pm, I'm sure I'm missing a lot but will update this evening when I get in the stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff. Have you tried the CenterPoint Sniper 370? I just got one so this is my first year with a crossbow. I would like to quiet mine down as much as possible so any tips on that would be appreciated. I haven't added anything to the xbow so far. Shooting CarbonExpress 20" PileDrivers with Rage ChiselTip SC 100 grain broadheads if any of that makes a difference

Comment

It's funny you ask, that's my go to bow right now. The sniper is hands down the most accurate hard hitting bow for the money. If the sniper 370 is your first believe it or not it's quieter than a lot others out there. A heavy arrow, and limbsavers on the limbs is about all you can do to this bow. A lot of others have a hollow stock where you can stuff rubber in the voids to help tone it down but the sniper doesn't have a " stock ", also the foot stirrup acts like a tuning fork and can cause a lot of noise but again the sniper has theirs rubber coated. Their is a guy building a trigger kit for the 370 that I plan on putting in after season.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKET View Post
        It's funny you ask, that's my go to bow right now. The sniper is hands down the most accurate hard hitting bow for the money. If the sniper 370 is your first believe it or not it's quieter than a lot others out there. A heavy arrow, and limbsavers on the limbs is about all you can do to this bow. A lot of others have a hollow stock where you can stuff rubber in the voids to help tone it down but the sniper doesn't have a " stock ", also the foot stirrup acts like a tuning fork and can cause a lot of noise but again the sniper has theirs rubber coated. Their is a guy building a trigger kit for the 370 that I plan on putting in after season.

The guy is in the Dallas who builds the trigger upgrade. Look on crossbownation forum there are quite a few posts on there. I put one on my Sniper 370 and it made a world of difference in the poundage and travel of trigger. I had an Excalibur before this xbow this one and this bow is way quiter .

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
          The guy is in the Dallas who builds the trigger upgrade. Look on crossbownation forum there are quite a few posts on there. I put one on my Sniper 370 and it made a world of difference in the poundage and travel of trigger. I had an Excalibur before this xbow this one and this bow is way quiter .

I agree I had a micro 335 with a trigger tech and I loved that trigger it will spoil you. But that was my second Excalibur and I got tired of the pull and the super short arrows made it no way near as accurate or as muck ke as all others past 30 yards

Comment

I'm new to cross bow so can you explain the difference in the triggers? Is it somehow quieter? Or just a smoother pull? Why replace the stock trigger?

Comment

good read. I'm looking at crossbows right now for the kids to hunt with.

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
                I'm new to cross bow so can you explain the difference in the triggers? Is it somehow quieter? Or just a smoother pull? Why replace the stock trigger?

The trigger in a crossbow can be great or horrible, think about trying to get a trigger to break smooth at a low poundage when there is 150#'s of string pressure on it. For the most part a crossbow having less draw weight could naturally have a better feeling trigger than one with more. Depending on the manufacturer each bow will feel totally different and some can be replaced with an aftermarket or like I was looking into an upgrade kit for the sniper 370 to remove some of the travel and make it break at a lighter weight

Comment

It was w hard for me to shoot accurately at first as I was use to custom light weight rifle triggers, then my first crossbow I thought it would never go off [emoji16]

Comment

I was looking at the Bear Fisix and reading good reviews. Do you have any experience with this bow? If so would you recommend it or should I go another route? I've never owned a crossbow but I want to start my son with one and I like the reverse limb design. I'd appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks

Comment

In to learn.. I bought my 7 year old a sniper 370 Friday night. He was shooting 2 inch groups at 25 yards by yesterday afternoon. He’s loving it so far and it seems like it packs a pretty good punch!

Comment

I bought a Barnett Brotherhood crossbow from a TBHer about a year ago and I like the way it shoots.
                        I would like to upgrade the scope. What’s a good recommendation ?

Comment

Thanks for your advice, Rocket. I could tell from previous posts that you were very knowledgeable about crossbows. I love my Matthews Reezen, but I am going to try a crossbow also. Sniper it is

Comment

So many good crossbows out there, Mission, TenPoint, Scorpyd, Raven, Excalibur, etc..
                            I have owned several, but my favorite as of date is the Mission MXB 400. It shoots a 400 grain arrow at 400 fps. The limbs are adjustible, so you can turn it down if you like. The cables and string can be changed without a press.
                            I am shooting spynal tapp arrows at 100 yards and getting 2" groups.
                            It's pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Comment

I think harmony of deadly reliable simplicity is an Excalibur Matrix Recurve 330 with a Trijicon x-bow ACOG with Diablo Bolts and VPA 125gr heads.

Comment

Working...
                              X