Tbot arrow rest re-clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
    Bud Murphy sporting his new custom T-shirt at the Denton County Turkey Shoot today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s new T-shirt (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	23982405

Bisch,

Here's your cover picture for the next TBoT Newsletter.

Or this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03063 (640x480).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	23982406
    Last edited by fletcherfor2; 03-20-2011, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
      I also LOVE the K.I.S.S. concept, but making, and clarifying rules does not have to be complicated. Actually in the long run doing so simplifies things immensely.

Last year I asked the same question about the rests.
      I got multiple answers, and one that said, awe just do it, nobody pays any attention to it anyway.

Well yea - OK - I promptly set about converting my rigs back to being shot from the shelf. I was shooting vanes at the time, and it's no easy task, but I got it done.
      I'm still capable of shooting pretty good scores every now and then, and no way I wanted to shoot a good score anywhere, and leave the door open for some sort of problem afterward.

Shooting off an elevated rest does have it's advantages. Not only in making it easier to tune, but an elevated rest of any kind is more forgiving of mistakes made upon loose.

That said - I actually prefer shooting from the shelf. Always have, but in my humble opinion - if you restrict all shooters to a "must shoot from the shelf" rule, then you are going to exclude a large number of shooters from an organization that is already somewhat exclusionary to certain genres of recurve, and longbow shooters.

No offense intended with the exclusionary comment. Simply food for thought.

Rick
      Rick, I said the simplest not the best..

Personally it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if there were no restrictions except no sights and no wheels/cams, and no classes except gender and kids classes…

I don’t go to win, I go to have fun and trying to win is just more work.. for an old man..

Comment

I personally don't care what a person shoots but keeping in the spirit of the name "Traditional.... Bowhunters... of Texas" the K.I.S.S. method does seem to apply. There are always people that are Uber competeitive that are going to seek out the latest greatest morphedite bow out there because they believe (and could be right) they would have and edge over the competition. I see people taking compound risers and fitting recurve or longbow limbs on them and calling that traditional. Foam ILF limbs this and composite that. Whatever... I can remember a time when 21st century was considered the biggest advantage one could have in a longbow. I also recall a time when I was called down for shooting an all wood composite bow in a "selfbow" class even though I made sure the bow was legal by definition. I was told I had an unfair advantage over the other competitors in my class because they shot a bow made from a stave. The way I see it there is always a way to say that someone has an advantage. For instance: You have an unfair advantage over so and so because you shoot a hyper reflex/deflexed bow and so and so shoots an old Hill style bow that is slower. Or you have an unfair advantage because you are shooting tapered arrows and nobody else is. You can come up with complaints ad nauseum. I personally do not want to see olympic style bows with 4 foot stabilizers on them appear at the Traditional Bowhunters Of Texas shoots because it will take away from the pure core values of what I am a life member of. If TBOT wants to add an unlimited class at Vanderpool but is worried about the buckle expense then I will donate the first $100 to cover that. Truthfully though I would rather not worry with the buckles. l would rather have as much money as possible put into a scholarship fund for the kiddo's. I have seen way too many questionable happenings go on all for the sake of a belt buckle. The children are the future of our beloved sport and should be more of a focus rather than a trophy of sorts.
        Do I think the rules could use a little clarifying, sure. There always will be analytical minds that will tear things down and try and call rules and regs to question no matter how simple, clear or thorough the rules seem to be. Don't believe me, just ask a hundred dollar lawyer how he makes a livin. That's my .02 worth. No offense intended or directed to anyone..

Comment

Originally posted by JAVI View Post
          Rick, I said the simplest not the best..

Personally it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if there were no restrictions except no sights and no wheels/cams, and no classes except gender and kids classes…

I don’t go to win, I go to have fun and trying to win is just more work.. for an old man..
          I'm all in favor of that also.

Just don't don't call it a competition.
          Call it a Rendezvous instead.
          Don't hand out score cards, and don't give awards for places.

Just have one big ole fun Hay day event, where folks just show up to shoot for the fun of it, and be around one another.

Yep - I like those also. 8^)

Keeping score, and giving awards for those scores make it a competition, and as with any competition, there must be a clearly defined rule set, or it is inevitable there will be a some debacles along the way.

I fully understand there are many who could care less about keeping score, or placing in these events, but I also understand, and know there are just as many who are competitors who love pitting themselves against other shooters, and I know those competitors would prefer classification, rules, and clarifications, that keep the competition on a level playing field.

Rick

Comment

As long as there are prizes, there will be people willing to go to any length to win them, and as long as there are rules, there will be people who will test the limits of those rules… and frankly that is the failing of human nature and the reason I no longer compete… it took the fun out of the game.

When I go to a shoot nowadays I do not turn in a score card or if they need it for some reason, I put down incomplete...

Comment

rubydog,

I know what you are saying, and the only area we differ at is - I would not mind seeing additional classes that encompassed the higher tech styles of recurve, and longbow shooting.

That said - my main goal is - just get a good clear rule set in place (whatever it happens to be), and if it makes everyone shoot from the shelf, well then I'll be there shooting from the shelf, but I think it would hurt more than it would help. In my mind, the simplest solution would be to make a class, or classes for folks who use the rests, and if TBoT needs to raise the shoot fees to compensate, then so be it.

I'm not a wealthy person, but I'd pay more in a heart beat if it would help get more shooters involved.

I also love your idea of a scholarship fund, and would love to see the shoot fees increased a bit with that increase being dedicated to such a fund. What an OUTSTANDING idea.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                rubydog,

I know what you are saying, and the only area we differ at is - I would not mind seeing additional classes that encompassed the higher tech styles of recurve, and longbow shooting.

That said - my main goal is - just get a good clear rule set in place (whatever it happens to be), and if it makes everyone shoot from the shelf, well then I'll be there shooting from the shelf, but I think it would hurt more than it would help. In my mind, the simplest solution would be to make a class, or classes for folks who use the rests, and if TBoT needs to raise the shoot fees to compensate, then so be it.

I'm not a wealthy person, but I'd pay more in a heart beat if it would help get more shooters involved.

I also love your idea of a scholarship fund, and would love to see the shoot fees increased a bit with that increase being dedicated to such a fund. What an OUTSTANDING idea.

Rick

Amen on the scholarship fund

Comment

I like whaty Rubydog said.

Comment

Originally posted by JAVI View Post
                    The simplest rule would be….

The bow must be shot off the shelf, the shelf and strike plate can be padded with leather with or without hair, feather, moleskin, Velcro or other similar materials, however; no plastic, metal, rubber or any combination of those materials may be used.
                    Well actually the simplest rule would be no rule at all about arrow rests. JMO...Van

Comment

Heck and I was all excited about shooting wood arrows off of a rest this year. Can we make a Tweener Class?

When all of this dust settles come by my camp and lets eat, drink bourbon and smoke cigars. After I shoot in the Open CLass with a $1000.00 Black Widow it gets depressing to see someone shoot a higher score with a bow that they hacked out of a stump with an ax. It takes a LOT of bourbon to get over that.

And BTW I am still looking for a lease if any of you guys know of some openings. The shoot is GREAT but hunting is the REAL thing. Take care. Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                        Heck and I was all excited about shooting wood arrows off of a rest this year. Can we make a Tweener Class?

When all of this dust settles come by my camp and lets eat, drink bourbon and smoke cigars. After I shoot in the Open CLass with a $1000.00 Black Widow it gets depressing to see someone shoot a higher score with a bow that they hacked out of a stump with an ax. It takes a LOT of bourbon to get over that.

And BTW I am still looking for a lease if any of you guys know of some openings. The shoot is GREAT but hunting is the REAL thing. Take care. Mike.
                        Kentucky bourbon or a good single malt is always a good thing..

Comment

I am reading alot of very good ideas and suggestions. We are for making the right moves ( with the help of the membership ) on these and other things. I for one have been the person that cast the first stone at composit bows (Terry ) not only was I in the wrong, I didn't even own a selfbow! In this new contraversey I see a lot of the same thing happening. I have also seen that we (Traditional Bowhunters ) are still a close family. I am (kind of )looking forward to Hill Country, and see if the family still stays tight !

Comment

The family is gonna stay tight.

Comment

Well Bud, it is good to finally hear you atleast acknowlege the situation way back when. I for one wasn't looking to skirt the rules of any shoot at any time. I simply had the opportunity to shoot a bow that my best friend in the world made for me. It just so happened that I could and still can shoot it very well. There may have been and are people that can make a similar bow that shoots way faster and draws smoother but to me speed isn't always an advantage. It certainly isn't the case with that bow. I proved my point on several occasions and in front of hundreds of sets of eyes. I have also switched back to a stave bow in an effort to prove what we all know deep down inside. It ain't the bow it is the monkey pulling the string back. I just hope we all learn to grow from our dissapointments and dissagreements and settle on common ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                                The family is gonna stay tight.
                                Yup.

Comment

Working...
                                X