Metal shop electrical service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal shop electrical service

I’m about to put in a pool (need 60 amps) and I’m maxed out on my current service so I’m having my service upgraded. I’ll be building a shop next year so I wanna be prepared for that. Electrician recommends upgrading to a 320 service for the house, pool, and future shop. He said he would run 100 amp to the shop when the time comes. Shop will proally be 80 x 40ish. Typical lights, fans, TV, stereo, window unit for man cave, compressor, small welding machine. Will that be sufficient? What do you have run to your shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More than enough unless you are running multiple big machines (lathe, mill) at the same time. Your service panel may be 100 amps, but running lights, tv, etc wont pull but 20amps. I have 60amps running out to mine off the house and it runs, air compressor, table saw, etc without trouble.

Comment

just a thought

wouldn't it be cheaper to add a second meter for shop you could run your pool off that meter and not have to mess with upgrading your main house meter panel

Comment

Originally posted by clay4626 View Post
        just a thought

wouldn't it be cheaper to add a second meter for shop you could run your pool off that meter and not have to mess with upgrading your main house meter panel

Well I have to get engineer from energy company put first to see what has to be done on their end. Electrician said they might try to talk me into that. They are likely going to have to add another pole regardless, yada yada. I guess I’ll have to wait till they come out and decide with electrician what to do.

Comment

Add more than you think you need.

When I got my place in the county I had 400 amp service dropped. That way I had 200 for the house and 200 for other...

Comment

Originally posted by 312InchMagnum View Post
            Well I have to get engineer from energy company put first to see what has to be done on their end. Electrician said they might try to talk me into that. They are likely going to have to add another pole regardless, yada yada. I guess I’ll have to wait till they come out and decide with electrician what to do.

are you in the country or city If it was me I would go to mc coys and buy
            another meter pole and set it and let the electric co run power to it.
            If you went with one pole they would have to change out your current transformer. with a second meter pole your house wouldn't be with power
            while they hook every thing up If you have to set another pole I would go with a 200amp the cost difference between 100 and 200 isn't that much

Comment

Working...
            X