No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

love this thread, I wish I had documented my plots with pics. I love sittin in a stand and watchin deer devour the stuff I planted for them. And they have been hittin the plots hard. I've already decide to bulldoze more mesquites and make my plots bigger this spring. my plots consist of mostly Buckforage oats with a mix of brassicas. y'all keep the info comin. good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
      For plots that small there is really not much of anything that can withstand a cow attack . Sunn Hemp is very fast growing but I imagine the cows would eat the heck out of it too. Cattle and spring plots don't mix.

I've kind of given up on planting spring plots and now concentrate on managing my fall planted perennials like clover and chicory that can last until mid summer before they go dormant.
      I was expecting this answer. How much would it cost me to plant the Sunn Hemp (1.5 acres)?
      The only reason I ask is if isn't too expensive I would like to go ahead try it so I have something there to get the deer aware there is food there. I do plan to forego spring plots after this year because of the cows.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
        That ain't good. I'm sure they'll be back though. Plant it and they will come. Acorns are finally about done around here now also. i have 70 acres of food plots two foot tall waiting on them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        That looks great! What is that?

Comment

Food plot and a little work today

The top pic is radish, the bottom pic is rape, but there is wheat, elbon rye, chicory, turnips, Austrian winter peas, and crimson clover in there also. Hoping that my fall planting will last the majority of the year.

Comment

The top pic is radish, the bottom pic is rape, but there is wheat, elbon rye, chicory, turnips, Austrian winter peas, and crimson clover in there also. Hoping that my fall planting will last the majority of the year.

I planted a similar mixture and the radish and turnips deer don't want or like.

Never again

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
              I planted a similar mixture and the radish and turnips deer don't want or like.

Never again

Deer won't mess with them until after a freeze or two. Actually, they didn't touch our turnips for a couple years at first, once they figured out that they could eat em they tore em up. This is the first year for the radishes, and they look like they are the preferred browse right now

Comment

Here is a picture of mine. Photos taken a month ago. Forage oats and elbon rye and WI clover for the spring. The water guzzler is about 80 yards from a free choice feeder. I put a camera on the feeder and the water and found a few bucks that go back and forth from the feeder to the water about 4 times.
                If you don't have water nearby, set one of these up. You will be amazed at what all you see!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5219.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	24476847

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5222.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	24476848

Comment

Deer won't mess with them until after a freeze or two. Actually, they didn't touch our turnips for a couple years at first, once they figured out that they could eat em they tore em up. This is the first year for the radishes, and they look like they are the preferred browse right now

I will monitor it as the winter closes. Supposed to freeze Monday morning so we will see

As of now mine is almost back to 3-4 feet tall after I moved it

Comment

Looks like its paying off. Nice!

Comment

Figured I would revive this thread since it is getting close to plotting season. Going down this weekend to get a soil test and hope to plant labor day weekend or mid September.

Comment

JWStrother, Thank you.. I am going to get mine ready now that the timber company is through plowing... They made me some great lanes that are begging to be planted...

Late Summer/ Fall Food plot ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by harv418 View Post
                          JWStrother, Thank you.. I am going to get mine ready now that the timber company is through plowing... They made me some great lanes that are begging to be planted...

Late Summer/ Fall Food plot ideas?

Wouldn't try and plant til mid sept at the earliest. I generally shoot for mid October actually but we do a lot, so can't afford for them to burn up

Comment

Where has UF been? Haven't seen a post in a long time. I do miss this thread...

Comment

Man oh man. Sorry to let this thread wilt on the vine. I've been extremely busy with work and when I'm not working I've been fishing alot. Got a new-to-me bass boat and have been spending alot of time on it with my son who is in college.

I didn't do any spring/summer plots this year but will get the fall plots going when I get back from elk hunting in Sept. Gonna do the tried and true.....elbon rye, white clover, and chicory.

Hopefully everyone will chime in with what they are doing and maybe hear about some new stuff that people are trying this year.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                                Man oh man. Sorry to let this thread wilt on the vine. I've been extremely busy with work and when I'm not working I've been fishing alot. Got a new-to-me bass boat and have been spending alot of time on it with my son who is in college.

I didn't do any spring/summer plots this year but will get the fall plots going when I get back from elk hunting in Sept. Gonna do the tried and true.....elbon rye, white clover, and chicory.

Hopefully everyone will chime in with what they are doing and maybe hear about some new stuff that people are trying this year.

I threw the book at my plots last year and they did great. Wheat, elbon rye, turnips, rape, radish, chicory, and crimson clover. Between you and elgatos threads gave me a lot of ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X