No announcement yet.

Somerville WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunted out there in 2002 and it wasnt as popular then, But i saw a lot of Deer. Thanks for the Info crod888.

Comment

Originally posted by ricoace View Post
      I hunted out there in 2002 and it wasnt as popular then, But i saw a lot of Deer. Thanks for the Info crod888.
      With the economy the way it is...its real popular now.

Comment

I put in for a 4 day stretch off from work for the first weekend of August to go get scouting done at Somerville. Anyone that would like to join let me know. The last time I was out there was a few months back and it was pretty thick, I did alot of driving around glassing for deer before dark.

Comment

I live in Brenham and have hunted Som a couple of years. What park you hunting Nails or Yegua? Shoot me a pm when it gets close I would be willing to go scout with ya! Mosquitos or gonna be real bad though!

Comment

Originally posted by bowmeaux View Post
            I live in Brenham and have hunted Som a couple of years. What park you hunting Nails or Yegua? Shoot me a pm when it gets close I would be willing to go scout with ya! Mosquitos or gonna be real bad though!
            Thermacell!!!!! And Yegua is what I primarily hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
              Thermacell!!!!! And Yegua is what I primarily hunt.
              Yep I bought my Thermacell because of Som a couple years back. I have scouted around Yegua but have always hunted Nails. Do you hunt the Red Hill area?

Comment

Actually, I focused on an area near some private land last year that I glassed some deer moving through as they crossed the fence from public to private from the road. I spoke with the land owner to see if I could get permission and he said no. He stated that a group from Chevron comes up from Houston each year and leases it out. Nice guy though. Gave me some good tips on other areas that I checked out that looked promising but I never got to hunt. I dont believe the area I was in was near Red Hill.

Comment

Has anyone scouted Granger for hogs this time of year?

Comment

My buddy and I will be hunting Somerville this year. It will be the first time for both of us. I am with ricoace, if there is anything that we need to know such as rules or etiquette, let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by Wulver View Post
                      My buddy and I will be hunting Somerville this year. It will be the first time for both of us. I am with ricoace, if there is anything that we need to know such as rules or etiquette, let me know!
                      I would say that the rules and etiquette that apply to any public land also apply to Somerville. I think the biggest thing is to let each other have some space. If you see someone hunting an area, back off a little. I always tried to quietly ease out of the way if I ever accidentally walked into an area someone was hunting. Also be sure to sign in at the check station everytime you enter into the WMA. Also wear hunter orange, its a good idea (and required) because then other bowhunters can see you and they do allow squirrel hunting with shotguns (nothing like being pelted with shot while up in a tree).

Comment

I went out to Yegua Saturday, the 4th. I opened the mailbox up and it was literaly full of registration slips. Jeesh that place is snake infested! ...But a lot of Deer sign. My plan is simple, i am going to hunt where nobody wants to hunt....
                        Last edited by ricoace; 07-07-2009, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Were the slips recent? I remember last year the first time I was out I opened the box and saw a bunch of slips. They were all from the year and summer before the season. What kind of snakes did you see? Any with rattles? I really need to get out there, you open for sometime next week? I really dont wanna go out there by myself. I really hate snakes.

Comment

Crod just let me know when and I will take off to go with ya. call me
                            Isaac

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
                              Crod just let me know when and I will take off to go with ya. call me
                              Isaac
                              Gotcha buddy, been crazy busy lately. I will know friday what I work next week and let you know. We really have to get spots nailed down. I would like to have more than the couple I hunted last year.

Comment

question!!! i've been to somerville twice, once for deer and once after season for hogs. for the guys who go often- at the check station on 1697 (nails creek.) there was a water hole/pond real close to the park sign. has anyone see any activity there? and what about the area on the other side of the highway. the tpwd.state.tx.us webiste shows a shaded area for hunting grounds as well, is it any good, has anyone had any luck? thanks! hope to see you guys out there!, just not in my area!! hahaha j/k! good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X