Owl id please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owl id please

What kind of owl is this?? Apologies on pic quality it was take via a phone using a 15 power spotting scope...
    Attached Files

Looks like a Horned Owl to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Great horned owl

Comment

Cool birds....

Comment

Yep, they're cool critters. I used to talk to them as a kid late at night on the Nueces River and they'd talk back, then all of a sudden they'd talk back from the tree right above me and scare the bejeezus out of me. Never heard them fly in.

Comment

Also known as the "hoot owl". At least that is what my Dad called them.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              Yep, they're cool critters. I used to talk to them as a kid late at night on the Nueces River and they'd talk back, then all of a sudden they'd talk back from the tree right above me and scare the bejeezus out of me. Never heard them fly in.
              A fun activity I used to do with kiddos back when I was teaching was to take an owl wing feather in one hand and a chicken wing feather in the other. Then I'd have them close their eyes and listen as I waved each feather near their ear. The owl feather is made in such a way that it makes no sound as it moves through the air, whereas they can hear the moving chicken feather. It's a pretty neat way to teach how owls are such silent fliers.

Comment

Screech Owl

Comment

This on was perched up about 60 feet over water. Normally, they seem to fly away but this one stuck around. Not sure if there where little ones close by. There is usually one near one the places I hunt on lake amistad. I have had it land within feet of me. Cool critters for sure and it's awesome to hear them while out waiting for dawn.

Comment

Great Horned Owl. Cool lookin suckers.

Comment

Working...
                    X