X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

308 ammo choice

So I'm the proud new owner of a CZ 557 Sporter in .308 Win

It has a 1:10 twist and a 20" barrel

I need to try several types of ammo to see what shoots best but wanted opinions here first. There are A LOT of options. I won't be reloading. I won't be shooting suppressed. Just plinking out to 550 yds and hunting at 300 or less. 99% Texas game.

I've been really happy with Australian Outback Ammo. 168 grain Sierra Match King. They shoot outstanding in my Remington 700 AAC SD with a 20" barrel. As for hunting I use the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in 168 grain.
    Last edited by zr2chevy22; 05-26-2017, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I'm partial to the Berger 155 vld. Some folks don't like that light of a bullet but it has done well for me.

Comment

I've been killing the snot out of does with the 150 Hornady SST out of my 16.5 700...

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          I've been killing the snot out of does with the 150 Hornady SST out of my 16.5 700...

I am w/ Artos on this one..

Comment

Federal gold medal match SMK (Sierra match king) has shot very well in several different rifles I own. 168 or 175 grain.

Comment

Nosler 168 gr Ballistic tips or Dallas reloads 165 gr Sierra Gamekings

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
                I've been really happy with Australian Outback Ammo. 168 grain Sierra Match King. They shoot outstanding in my Remington 700 AAC SD with a 20" barrel. As for hunting I use the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in 168 grain.
                Interesting. I've seen it. It has good reviews, and it's cheap.

Comment

X3

Comment

Anyone else have a favorite I should try?

Comment

I haven't used them myself but two knowledgeable guys have recommended I try these.

LWD

Comment

HSM 168 Berger VLDs

Kill like lighting and the most accurate that I've seen

Comment

Federal 165 gr Trophy Bonded tip has worked great
                          Probably will try Hornady SST product in future because works great in 25-06

Comment

I have a Ruger American Predator paired with my Specwar 7.62 and it shoots these Horanady 155gr A-Max less than 1moa. Very happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by bowaddict40; 05-28-2017, 01:18 PM.

Comment

168, 178 AMAX for a good precise hunting whitetail & smaller. 175 SMK for target.

Comment

Working...
                              X