Drawn for Chaparral WMA whitetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn for Chaparral WMA whitetail

Finally! It's been over 5 years since my last draw for anything! Gun deer at the Chap! 11/30-12/02!
    Has anyone been on this hunt that can offer any advice?

Nice! Congrats!

Comment

That's a good one. A guy a hunt with has been a couple of times. He said it's a tough hunt and never saw anything worth shooting. But there are some monsters out there.

Comment

Congrats! I went two years ago on the archery hunt. I would suggest hunting all day, depending on the weather. They have some blinds in place, and I would find one where two senderos cross and sit there.

Those deer are smart. The biologist told us during the orientation "the deer hear all the trucks cross the first cattle guard and go into hiding when the hunt starts..."

Comment

Here are my comments from a previous post a few years back:

I've only been lucky enough to hunt there once a few years back, January hunt, the wife and I. We hunted Rosindo pasture and had good luck. She hunted strickly out of a south texas tripod nestled in a live oak. She saw lots of deer, hogs, and javis, but no big ones. She ended up shooting a javi and two hogs. I started out in a pop up but quickly figured out that no matter how brushed in they were, the deer didn't like them at all. I finally set up a tripod near a small pond. My wife had suggested hunting there earlier, but I thought all I would see were hogs and didn't want to be that close to the road. My last evening I had two big shooters come in but didn't connect. I ended up seeing three large bucks but for various reasons, never fired a shot. It is not a pasture you hear much about, but I wouldn't hesitate to hunt it again. The whole place is good. So, here's my advice. Hunt from tripods. Don't be afraid to hunt close to camping area, headquarters, or internal roads. Listen closely to the biologists, they will drop subtle hints and are willing to help you. Good luck and kill a big one.

Comment

That's a hunt I would love to draw! It will be after the youth only hunt, I think the weekend before? Take a pop-up. They have stands in place, but unless things have changed you won't be able to bait. There are lots of targets down there, for sure! Also, if you want a covered picnic table in the campground, plan to get there plenty early. If you wait until after work to leave, the day before the hunt, I bet they will be gone by the time you get there. All of my experience is based on youth hunts, but I think it's pretty solid nonetheless. How many hunters will they have during these dates?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll be there for archery first week of December. Good luck. I may reach out after your hunt to see what you saw.

Comment

Congrats Greg. Good luck. Do a live hunt

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
                  I'll be there for archery first week of December. Good luck. I may reach out after your hunt to see what you saw.
                  I'll be happy to share anything I learn.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                    Congrats Greg. Good luck. Do a live hunt
                    If there is any signal, which I doubt with Sprint, I will be happy to!

Comment

I have never hunted that pasture, but I have hunted south texas all my life, i would say hunt water all day, the deer will go to water, and knowing south texas it will not be cold so they will be hitting water at some point

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
                        If there is any signal, which I doubt with Sprint, I will be happy to!
                        Not much sprint signal in that country

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats Greg

We drew archery hunt first week of Dec

As far as signal there is a cell tower right there at the exit on 35, ATT will peg 5 right there

Comment

Working...
                              X