No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw today on gosanangelo.com that South Pool may be no more, Paul Alexander wants to completely drain it and put the water at the north pool.

Not sure how I feel about that just yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
      Saw today on gosanangelo.com that South Pool may be no more, Paul Alexander wants to completely drain it and put the water at the north pool.

Not sure how I feel about that just yet...
      Ya I dont know if I like that idea one bit. Its a big fishery, duck hunting spot, and watering source for alot of game, especially since the "lagoon" that spurs off from it on the East side is already dry and pushing deer much farther to other watering spot now.

Comment

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
        Ya I dont know if I like that idea one bit. Its a big fishery, duck hunting spot, and watering source for alot of game, especially since the "lagoon" that spurs off from it on the East side is already dry and pushing deer much farther to other watering spot now.
        After thinking about it a little bit I'm right there with ya on it, its an absolutely STUPID idea. Why try to pump water from where its at into our local "pretty lake" via 3.5 miles of dried up riverbed that is sure to absorb at least 1/3 of the water we send down it? Even if they send it over to the North pool thats 3.5 miles and they will lose water in the process.

I wonder how many city council members' yards back up to Lake Nasworthy, seems like their biggest concern is keeping it filled up even though its not used for city water supply.

Comment

Is the South Concho still flowing into the south pool?

Comment

I'm not sure if its actually got water in it anymore, Bowman has been back that way he can answer that for you.

They are wanting to pump south pool water over the dam and into the south concho that leads to Nasworthy. According to Google Eart, it's about 3.5 miles of dried up riverbed it will have to travel, has been dry for a good while.

Comment

This is a terrible idea. Of course the City wants that to be done. Esp since they let Quicksand Golf Course suck out 7.8 million gallons. Obviously it's gonna dry up if it doesn't rain. But don't make it any worse than it already is. Wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Comment

I grew up hunting San Angelo and still come back once a year or so. There's not much public land in Central Texas. Is the land near the police firing range out past the airport considered part of the TBR land system? The place I'm talking about backs up to Garner Dam. I am thinkning that the Corps of Engineers governs that area. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                  Is the South Concho still flowing into the south pool?
                  nope.....bone dry for months now.

Comment

Originally posted by nate8825 View Post
                    This is a terrible idea. Of course the City wants that to be done. Esp since they let Quicksand Golf Course suck out 7.8 million gallons. Obviously it's gonna dry up if it doesn't rain. But don't make it any worse than it already is. Wouldn't surprise me if they did.
                    Yep....terrible idea. Its a very popular fishery at South Pool and lots of people duck hunt there. The Lagoon that spurs off it is already dry and forcing animals to travel much farther around to Southpool to water so what are they to do if they drain it? Deer are already dropping dead in the field as it is everywhere, not to mention the enviromental impact to all the large trees that the migratory bird roost in all along the Southpool and Concho River corridor. Horrible idea and I dont think the city has thought 2 seconds about it.

Comment

Wasn't Paul Alexander chiming in on this thread a few months ago? We need to bring this to his attention, I doubt he has thought of any of these negative effects.

It would be one thing if we were plum out of water, but with 23 months of supply left, we still have several months before a drastic measure like this should be taken.

I'd bet all my paycheck that before the deer opener we get a good rain too.

Comment

Wasn't Paul Alexander chiming in on this thread a few months ago? We need to bring this to his attention, I doubt he has thought of any of these negative effects.

It would be one thing if we were plum out of water, but with 23 months of supply left, we still have several months before a drastic measure like this should be taken.

I'd bet all my paycheck that before the deer opener we get a good rain too.
                        I heard they were supposed to vote the other day on this but I was at work and didn't even know about this Lil deal until that morning. I'm working 3 jobs right now so I'm a Lil busy.

Comment

Talked to Paul via fb, he said that this plan will not likely take effect until April of 2012. Hopefully we can get some decent rain before then so it won't need to be done.

Comment

Talked to Paul via fb, he said that this plan will not likely take effect until April of 2012. Hopefully we can get some decent rain before then so it won't need to be done.
                            Good deal thx! I would hope the anglers would jump on this since its gonna effect them way more than us. I have a ton of other things going on right now thru next February at a minimum.

Comment

So with dove season right around the corner and assuming we finally get rain, what exactly is the plan for the land? I dove hunt out at 3, and was wondering how that was gonna affect my hunting... I see they are going to have 2 gates there at 3, one on the the main road, and one at the old boat ramp, and are planning on fencing off the rest. What exactly are their plans out there? Are you going to be able to get through those gates if you register and have a key? Or is that for the MAIN gate right after the bridge only?

Comment

Originally posted by nate8825 View Post
                                So with dove season right around the corner and assuming we finally get rain, what exactly is the plan for the land? I dove hunt out at 3, and was wondering how that was gonna affect my hunting... I see they are going to have 2 gates there at 3, one on the the main road, and one at the old boat ramp, and are planning on fencing off the rest. What exactly are their plans out there? Are you going to be able to get through those gates if you register and have a key? Or is that for the MAIN gate right after the bridge only?
                                Please look back in this thread. ALL those questions have been already answered. Gotta run to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X