No announcement yet.

Hagerman Segment B hunt 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pulling for you all tomorrow, but especially Landrover/ Oscar!

Met him briefly hunting the H in 2010, and I appreciate his input on these threads.

He's put in the time... big time...and I hope it's his year!

Comment

Congratulations to every single hunter who has taken an animal so far. I'd be proud of ANY of them

Per the input from hunters who've hunted the refuge since the 80's/90's, it seems that the frequency of giants produced from H property has slowed. However, I personally have a very difficult time believing that the draw hunts are ruining the H buck age structure. 3 weekends of hunting doesn't hold a candle to 3 months of pressure all around the refuge by hunters utilizing trail cameras and feeders year round.

If the quality of the deer on the refuge doesn't satisfy you, you can always go pay the big $$$ (relative to cost to hunt H) to hunt private land elsewhere in Grayson Co ...full of leasees who continue to hunt the H as well. Hmmm. Wait a minute. So one of two things must be true: A) the surrounding private land pressure is so significant that even a supposed "mediocre" hunting opportunity on the refuge is attractive by comparison, or B) the H still provides great opportunity to hunt giant whitetail, even with no means of baiting or scouting and patterning bucks with trail cameras. Or.... A & B are both somewhat true, and this perceived ill management of the refuge is actually no worse than virtually the rest of Grayson Co., and this micro-criticism of refuge management/hunters is unwarranted.

Thanks to those of you who continue to contribute to these threads, and proudly share your success with us. Always enjoy hearing how everyone helps each other out. Good hunting in the morning to everyone

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
        Congratulations to every single hunter who has taken an animal so far. I'd be proud of ANY of them

Per the input from hunters who've hunted the refuge since the 80's/90's, it seems that the frequency of giants produced from H property has slowed. However, I personally have a very difficult time believing that the draw hunts are ruining the H buck age structure. 3 weekends of hunting doesn't hold a candle to 3 months of pressure all around the refuge by hunters utilizing trail cameras and feeders year round.

If the quality of the deer on the refuge doesn't satisfy you, you can always go pay the big $$$ (relative to cost to hunt H) to hunt private land elsewhere in Grayson Co ...full of leasees who continue to hunt the H as well. Hmmm. Wait a minute. So one of two things must be true: A) the surrounding private land pressure is so significant that even a supposed "mediocre" hunting opportunity on the refuge is attractive by comparison, or B) the H still provides great opportunity to hunt giant whitetail, even with no means of baiting or scouting and patterning bucks with trail cameras. Or.... A & B are both somewhat true, and this perceived ill management of the refuge is actually no worse than virtually the rest of Grayson Co., and this micro-criticism of refuge management/hunters is unwarranted.

Thanks to those of you who continue to contribute to these threads, and proudly share your success with us. Always enjoy hearing how everyone helps each other out. Good hunting in the morning to everyone
        Lmao......very perceptive. There is a prominent landowner under investigation now for shooting a beast at night .[emoji15]
        Originally posted by Buckrider View Post
        I call it good team work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Same here![emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]
        Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
        I'm pulling for you all tomorrow, but especially Landrover/ Oscar!

Met him briefly hunting the H in 2010, and I appreciate his input on these threads.

He's put in the time... big time...and I hope it's his year!
        Thx a ton sir![emoji106] I luv the "IF" factor of a y moment he can cruise by. knowing it can happen with/to friends is also huge for me as this is the only social type hunt I do. H pressure since the 90s has changed but we no longer have many horse & buggies either.......times change as do tools and things![emoji6] Good luck eceryone......time to get moving!!![emoji120]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fishfinder05 View Post
          That deer is a 145 inch 9 point that was 19 wide with bladded brows ... if i shot him at hagerman this year he would be the 2nd biggest deer taken so far behind the big boy from seg A so that just makes my point for me thanks

But imagine if he was 2 years older.....
          it's a shame he wasn't allowed to walk and mature some. [emoji1]

Comment

Morning gents. Back at it again for the third and final day.

Shot an 8pt last night in Goode at 4pm. The shot placement dropped him where he stood but not my intentional mark. After the shot, a P&Y high game fence lookin monster spooked my direction for a perfect boadside 20 yard shot. This is all within seconds of dropping my first buck with a bow!

If I didn't get a true heart-wrenching lesson in patience last night, I don't know what else would do it. To those speaking of the potential here on the Hag, I may not have shot typical "H" monster, but I did lay my eyes on one and they are definitely still around. Easily the biggest deer I've ever seen on the hood. Mind blowing really.

I've been Bowhunting for close to 8 years now and this was truly the most incredible moment of my life. Shook for a solid 15 minutes at least after.

Now my goal is to pray for my buddy to drop a Brute and punch my ticket for the season!

Did a little stalking at lunch yesterday and jumped 20 hogs by the water. FYI...

Sorry for the lack of better pictures. I have others but don't want to offend the community.

Last edited by caseys95m3; 11-20-2016, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Good looking buck! Congrats!

Comment

Last day, let's do this!

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewV View Post
                  My golden ticket weighed 120 pounds!! good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Very nice doe, congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by caseys95m3 View Post
                    Morning gents. Back at it again for the third and final day.

Shot an 8pt last night in Goode at 4pm. The shot placement dropped him where he stood but not my intentional mark. After the shot, a P&Y high game fence lookin monster spooked my direction for a perfect boadside 20 yard shot. This is all within seconds of dropping my first buck with a bow!

If I didn't get a true heart-wrenching lesson in patience last night, I don't know what else would do it. To those speaking of the potential here on the Hag, I may not have shot typical "H" monster, but I did lay my eyes on one and they are definitely still around. Easily the biggest deer I've ever seen on the hood. Mind blowing really.

I've been Bowhunting for close to 8 years now and this was truly the most incredible moment of my life. Shook for a solid 15 minutes at least after.

Now my goal is to pray for my buddy to drop a Brute and punch my ticket for the season!

Did a little stalking at lunch yesterday and jumped 20 hogs by the water. FYI...

Sorry for the lack of better pictures. I have others but don't want to offend the community.

Way to go, nice buck congrats!

Comment

Congrats to all thus far. Last day, good luck

Comment

Congrats Casey on the Buck. Very nice.
                        Good luck to everyone today.

Comment

Well.... It's day 3 in a Hagerman tree. After we got my buck taken care of last night I got to bed at 11:00 pm and back up at 3:00am. Now I sit in my treestand waiting for daylight.

With a buck in the truck it's straight up free pass day today. Easier said than done.

I have been very blessed. This is my 10th Hagerman hunt in the last 17 years. I have been fortunate to have taken 3 bucks in those 10 hunts. After today I will have logged about 270 hours in a Hagerman tree. I am going to take it all in today as this could very well be my last hunt here. I will be 63 in a month. Let's see....if I don't shoot a doe today I will be 66 or 67 when I draw again. Believe me. It gets harder every year. If I am able I will be back.

And to the naysayers about the bucks being killed. The Hagerman hunt has never been a trophy hunt. A hunter has the right to kill a 13" buck, an un forked buck (spike/3 point) and two does.

In the 10 hunts I have been privileged to participate in there have always been small bucks killed and there have also always been a lot of pigs here at Hagerman. The sky is not falling guys. There are still huge bucks here. There was one seen about 100 yards from one of the parking areas yesterday......for all you guys that think you have to hike to the middle of the refuge [emoji6] ..and Jason and I saw another huge buck chasing a doe on one the Harris wheat fields on the way in last night.

This hunt is what each individual makes of it. If it is a trophy to that individual and it's legal that hunter has the right to kill that animal.

My words to new or first time Hagerman hunters is this is your hunt. You have earned the right to be here. Have a great hunt and enjoy the privilege of being here.

Ok.....It's getting daylight. I got to try for that free pass.
                          Last edited by Arrowsmith; 11-20-2016, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Last day, git it done!

Congrats to those that have scored.

Comment

Stick with it, Gents. There has been some magic on day 3 at Hagerman. We are now separating the men from the boys.

Good luck.

Comment

Frost all over this morning. Good luck to you hardcore 3rd day hunters

Comment

Working...
                                X