boat title question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boat title question

If buying a boat from an individual who never got it titled in his name how hard is it to get it titled in your name. I am looking at a boat that the person has the titled signed from the previous owner but he never got the title transferred over to his name. I know it can be done but just wondering how and how much of a pain is it.

My personal preference would be to force him to send in for the title in his name before you purchased it.

Comment

Is there at least a bill of sale? Something that proves that he paid for the boat?

Someone is going to pay the back taxes. The state IS going to get its money. Either from you, or from him. Someone is going to pay.

Comment

boat title question

Two options. 1. Force him to transfer title to himself then to you. 2. Forge the original seller’s name of the TPWD form and leave the guy you’re dealing with completely out of the title transfer process.

Chances are that either way the original seller’s name will get forged on the TPWD form. Unlikely that this guy or you will be able to track the original seller down to sign the TPWD form for title transfer. Either the guy you’re dealing with will do it to get it in his name, or you’ll have to do it to get it in your name. Just make sure it matches the signature on the title itself.

Most importantly, do not consider the information provided in this post to be legally advisable. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by txpitdog; 02-22-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duckboy007 View Post
          My personal preference would be to force him to send in for the title in his name before you purchased it.
          This. ^^^

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would see if you can get a hold of the original owner because the boat is still legally his. He could sign a Power of Attorney on the boat, which would make things a lot easier for you.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
              Two options. 1. Force him to transfer title to himself then to you. 2. Forge the original seller’s name of the TPWD form and leave the guy you’re dealing with completely out of the title transfer process.

Chances are that either way the original seller’s name will get forged on the TPWD form. Unlikely that this guy or you will be able to track the original seller down to sign the TPWD form for title transfer. Either the guy you’re dealing with will do it to get it in his name, or you’ll have to do it to get it in your name. Just make sure it matches the signature on the title itself.

Most importantly, do not consider the information provided in this post to be legally advisable. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do not forge the name. TPWD sends out letters sometimes asking the original title holder amounts, dates ect. If he says he didn't sign it or sell it to you, somebody is in deep cow crap. That somebody is you. Thats why they make you sign the affidavit so they can hammer your hinder when you get caught.

Contact the original owner, ask him to sign the paperwork that you can download from the website or get in any tpwd office. Do it legal and never worry about it. I have done this before and offered to pay the titled owner $50 for their trouble. All was inclined to help and all declined my offer of payment.

Comment

I know a guy who has done what TxPit said and never had an issue. Same guy may or may not have sold 3 or 4 boats over the last 10 years (even to out of state buyers) and had nary an issue.

Comment

I titled a boat a year ago and learned a lot while standing in line. First if the title is signed by the previous owner and there is no date and the buyer spot is blank then go for it. Just insert your name in buyer block and put the date.

If the old title has a date and the guys name in the buyer block then force him to get the title in his name. The boat title folks are a pain. Almost worse than the DPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    I know a guy who has done what TxPit said and never had an issue. Same guy may or may not have sold 3 or 4 boats over the last 10 years (even to out of state buyers) and had nary an issue.

I ain’t sayin I done it, i’m jus sayin. Know’m sayin? [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                      I ain’t sayin I done it, i’m jus sayin. Know’m sayin? [emoji6]
                      Word! I'm picking up what you be puttin down G

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by robert13t View Post
                        I titled a boat a year ago and learned a lot while standing in line. First if the title is signed by the previous owner and there is no date and the buyer spot is blank then go for it. Just insert your name in buyer block and put the date.

If the old title has a date and the guys name in the buyer block then force him to get the title in his name. The boat title folks are a pain. Almost worse than the DPS.
                        ^^^^This

Comment

If you can contact original owner and get him to sign TPW form that would be the best. I just bought a boat and transferred to my name yesterday, it is not like they really compare signatures from title to TPWD form...it was a very easy process.

Now if this rain will stop I can get it in the water!!!

Comment

Run as fast as you can.....

Comment

Want to buy a causeway...I have the title.

Comment

Working...
                              X