Age to start hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age to start hunting

What age did you guys start taking your children out to the stand with you?
    I want to take my step son with me and he is 4 in January.

I don't remember what age I was when my dad started taking me but I killed my first deer at 6.

Comment

I starting taking my son when he was 4

Comment

I probably starting taking my daughter around 6? Maybe only once or twice a year. Took her for her first hunt this past weekend at 9 where she was going to be the one to pull the trigger but the opportunity didn't present itself. Hopefully next week it will.

Comment

I shot my first deer on my father's knee at the age of 5. I was walking canyon ridges in west Texas at the age of 4. My mother still doesn't know about that haha.

Comment

2 and still loves it

Comment

he seems to want to go everytime i say something about deer. i guess i need to go buy some small camo and boots

Comment

My son is 4 and has been going with me duck hunting and fishing since he could basically walk.. My advice, lower your standards, and shorten your trips! Have plenty of snacks, drink, and heat if necessary. Our hunting trips are genuinely just to hang out and have fun.. If that means we get out of the stand and go for a walk, or dig for acorns, then that's what we are doing! I firmly believe in just getting them out there, regardless of the sacrifice is just laying the groundwork for a real appreciation and love for it later!

Comment

Originally posted by texas assasin View Post
                  2 and still loves it
                  Same here. Started taking him and he loves it. My son is 5 now and almost took a nice 8 with his crossbow in October. Buck never would be still for a shot.

Comment

in the stand at 2. Killed his first deer this year at 5.

Comment

My son is 3 and lives going with daddy. I can't get out of the house to go to the farm. without him. Opening morning we had a buck come in to 25 yards and since then he is hooked. I bought him a BB gun and one evening had a pig come out when I shot it he was on a dead run with his BB gun of course he had to finish the pig off. I decided I'm not a serious hunter I really enjoy taking him with me. We hunt for about 2 hours and then we go play around. Just know when you take him the first time that your no longer a serious hunter you become a best friend

Comment

My daughter shot her first deer at 8.

Comment

As young as they show interest? I was probrably 5...my poor Dad I know I didn't sit still for long

My boys almost 2 he likes going fishing but doesn't like the boat. I hooked a small fish I caught to hit little 2 foot pole and he drug it around proudly to show his cousins

Comment

10 months was when my youngest started going with me...
                            He did a lot of this...

Taken at almost 2 years old...

Admittedly he was a handful the year before at 10 months old...
                            Last edited by nursejenn; 12-13-2016, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Started taking my son at 14 months. He's seen plenty of critters die already. The baby carrier is permanently stained with blood though. I'm not sure when he will be able to handle a rifle himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X