Who hunts with 60 pounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who hunts with 60 pounds?

I spent 50 years hunting with recurves so my knowledge of compounds is limited.
    Bad joints and arthritis put me to hunting with a compound a couple of years ago.
    Fish n dude suggested a Halon 32 and I bought a 70 pounder. I have been very happy with it but have an urge for a new toy for this season.
    The closest archery shop is 90 miles away so I have not held one yet but I think I’m wanting a VXR 31.5. I had considered going with a 50 pound bow but 60 is as light as they make it.
    My question is ..... is there enough difference between 70 and 60 to make it worth spending the money? I don’t have a problem drawing 70 pounds but I pay for it that night and the next day between my shoulders and hand hurting.

I shoot 60# and I have no problem killing all the things I need to kill with it, and it's much more enjoyable to shoot IMO. Some people like the feel and speed of 70+ lbs, and I'd probably bump it up if I wanted to fling a 700 grain arrow at a cape buffalo or something, but for anything I'm after, 60# does the job just fine.

Comment

I have been for 7ish years now and don’t ever see myself shooting 70 again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot 55-60 on my Mathews. The only time my arrow got stopped, I hit both shoulder blades.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Been shooting 60lb bows since 2007 and have dropped to 54-55 on the build up when I messed up my shoulder in 2014 ish and had to take some time away. My shoulders thank me on the 60lb bow every round I practice. I have 7 members on my lease and only one shoots a 70lb bow.....the rest are 60s. We aren't getting any younger so that something to think about. Put me in the mix of never owning a 70lb bow again.

Comment

I have a 60lb 28 VXR and love it. I don't see any reason it wouldn't be able to handle any hunting situation you could run across. I haven't had it in the woods yet but fully expect it to exceed all of my needs for many years and I know my shoulders, etc. will probably be much happier for it.

Comment

63lbs here

Comment

I have hunted at 60 since I started bowhunting 7 years ago. I have never had any issues killing deer or hogs at 60. All deer kills have been pass through shots.

Comment

Sixty is plenty, especially with how's today

Comment

I have been shooting 60#s for a few years. I shoot a speed bow so it shoots the same at 60#s as most others at 70#s.

Comment

I shoot a Bear Truth 2 set at 62# and it works great for me. I am way more accurate at this poundage than I ever was at almost 70#.
                      Now I only shoot whitetails, hogs, Rams and small game and have never had any problems.

I bet you will like it as well.

Comment

I shoot 50# on my recurve and 56# on my compound, killed lots of critters up to elk size.

Comment

60 will take them as good as 70, plus it's easier to draw and hold- hence probably more accurate. Get your buddy FND to order a set of 60lb limbs for that POS Halon and get at it.

I'm kidding about the POS, and FND may not be a buddy.

Comment

The 60lb mods in the VXR will drop down to like 48lbs and still has great performance. My daughter is shooting the vertix with 60lb mods right at 50 lbs . And the 60lb mod will go up to about 68lbs as well so your covered either direction with that 60lb mod on the VXR
                            Last edited by Hoss163; 07-27-2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I’ve shot 62 lbs for the last 10 yrs and have passed thru everything
                              Kansas deer and east Texas pigs

Comment

Working...
                              X