Burning Cedar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning Cedar Question

How long does it take for cedar to dry out enough to burn? Piling up a bunch currently and have no idea how long it needs to sit in order to burn. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut and burn it the same day when I can.

I generally try to burn my piles within a month, that's just me though. I cut it up and smash the piles down so when I light it it will all catch fire and go

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I.....HATE.....CEDAR. The tree from Hell next to Black Locust IMO. They're ugly, spread like flies and use about five times more water than the average tree. Been cutting and burning that sh*t all spring and summer. Just burned a couple this morning. Thought I'd save a few bucks doing it myself a few at a time. I'm done. It's just not worth it. Gonna hire a Forestry Mulcher crew to come out and take care of the rest this fall.

BIL loves them. Says they're one of his favorite trees. He even planted a few on his adjacent property. Bit of an environmentalist. He's kinda stupid that way.

Comment

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post
        I cut and burn it the same day when I can.

I generally try to burn my piles within a month, that's just me though. I cut it up and smash the piles down so when I light it it will all catch fire and go

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
        This is what we do on the jobsite. A pear burner is great to get the piles going...

Comment

If cutting on the weekend cut and pile next week burn cut and pile up more
          Don’t forget to bring a water tank and sprayer and contact the local, fire marshal before burning

Comment

Originally posted by Laszlo View Post
            I.....HATE.....CEDAR. The tree from Hell next to Black Locust IMO. They're ugly, spread like flies and use about five times more water than the average tree. Been cutting and burning that sh*t all spring and summer. Just burned a couple this morning. Thought I'd save a few bucks doing it myself a few at a time. I'm done. It's just not worth it. Gonna hire a Forestry Mulcher crew to come out and take care of the rest this fall.

BIL loves them. Says they're one of his favorite trees. He even planted a few on his adjacent property. Bit of an environmentalist. He's kinda stupid that way.
            Do you have a quote from them??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
              What area you need done?

Comment

Light it up. It will burn green. All cedar species contain turpentine in their sap.. Extremely flammable..
                Last edited by PondPopper; 08-02-2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                  Not yet. I'm going to wait till it cools off and some leaves drop. That way I can actually walk around and get a better idea of what I want taken out and how big the job will be. Its pretty thick in areas and the heats a killer. At least it is for me.

Most of these guys work a four minimum and prefer to do an all day. $150 hr is about average on facebook marketplace and craigslist. But like anything else it all depends on the quality of the work.

Death to Cedar trees!

Comment

We have grubbed about 2000 acres of mesquite and cedar over the last year. We finally got enough rain a couple weeks ago and got the green light from the county to burn. The piles that have been sitting forever and the foliage had dropped took a bit to get going with the pear burner. The piles that were brown went much quicker and no need for a pear burner. This is the way to go if you have a substantial amount of brush. I purchased a case of lighter fluid just to help and we got a little over a section done in a day.
                    Last edited by myway; 08-02-2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I like to stack it for long enough to get rattle bugs to move in--then torch. Stand by with shotgun in case of escapees. :-) I usually stack it until I am out there for a weekend when it is raining. Used tractor oil and a bit of diesel will get it going even in a monsoon.

Comment

I push and burn same day. I sometimes push a pile and then burn first day it’s raining and no wind. Cedar has a lot of oil and pops so you get a lot of fires started 20 yards from pile. Have a tractor and make a big break than sit with a load of dirt in bucket.

Comment

You can make a hot fire and then just start adding wood, the fire will dry out the wood and burn it very quickly. I do it all the time. I burn wet oak all the time. Cedar, will dry out and burn quickly.

Comment

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We run diesel fuel in a bug sprayer, spray the pile or edges good depending on the size. Use a pear burner to get them going. You can spray the diesel on the pile while it is burning to keep it going, it is much safer than gasoline of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X