Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 08-24-2014, 12:43 AM   #301
Coach W
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Dickens, Kent

My First pig just fell in complete darkness. I could get use to this!

FWIW: The scope is worthless in complete darkness without an external IR. In town the scope is fine it gathers enough light from other sources. But out in the middle of nowhere (where most of us hunt) the external IR is a must have. Definitely worth spending some coin on. I can easily see 200 yards right now and it is pitch black out here.

The scope tracks very well and holds zero too, nothing but positives in that aspect.
Coach W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 AM   #302
killerbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach W View Post

FWIW: The scope is worthless in complete darkness without an external IR. In town the scope is fine it gathers enough light from other sources. But out in the middle of nowhere (where most of us hunt) the external IR is a must have. Definitely worth spending some coin on. I can easily see 200 yards right now and it is pitch black out here.

The scope tracks very well and holds zero too, nothing but positives in that aspect.
X2
killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #303
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:

Let me clarify. Are you saying the scope is worthless when using the onboard 150mW illuminator? Which external IR did you choose?
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #304
Coach W
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Let me clarify. Are you saying the scope is worthless when using the onboard 150mW illuminator? Which external IR did you choose?
Correct, I didn't try it without the doubler so it may work at low magnification. With the doubler and the on board ir it's fine for in town. But in the sticks it's not even close to enough. I bought my external ir on ebay. Miket walked me through it and it's well worth the money. I could see easily 200 yards.

This guy never saw it coming.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #305
jcar
Ten Point

Hunt In: eastland

In the pic. it looks like the lens cap with the tinted window is on the scope , did you have it on last night ?
jcar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #306
Coach W
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar View Post
In the pic. it looks like the lens cap with the tinted window is on the scope , did you have it on last night ?
The lens cap has a hole in it for day time. And no it was open last night
Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #307
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Congrats on the pig. My oldest daughter shot one last night too but we couldnt find it.......when the bullet struck it let out a squeal that Doug heard back at camp but then disappeared.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2014, 01:21 AM   #308
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Nice hog Coach! Looking good!

Ok guys, we've got settled in with the new baby and things are starting to get back to normal. I just replied to a BIG backlog of PM's about Photons and other NV. I've got the new Photon pre-order special squared away and you can feel free to PM for details if you are interested.

This whole thing is still a big shock to me because I talk to my Sightmark rep 2-3 times a day and I had no idea any new Photons were coming out so soon. Everyone logically wants to know how soon they will be available. The word I got last week was to expect my first order of 4.6x to ship in 30-60 days and the 6.5x could be 30-90 days but they are expecting the 6.5x to be very popular. I'm actually hoping/speculating for shorter delivery dates but those are the official estimates I was given.

PM me for pricing and details.

Thanks!

Jason
outdoorlegacygear.com
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #309
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Ha, I'm first on the list. I get to show the new 6.5x off first... That's if my check don't bounce LOL kidding of course.

Can't wait to get it and try it out.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 AM   #310
bearhunter
Six Point

Hunt In: anywere i can

can wait ti get into night pig and varmen hunting myself hope to be set up by time deer season ends this season. getting set up for bow hunting now
bearhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #311
Chuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Falfurrias

Had a blast this past weekend and put the photon to work. Friday ran up on a few pigs and confirmed 1 but hit a few more. Didnt have any batteries in my Eotech! dangit. they just....sat there!Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409080229655.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  45.9 KB

The next night after a very long day of setting up a working and setting up a new blind at the pond, we spent a few hours in our newest creating overlooking the pond. Jason hadnt ever looked through a NV before so he picked it up and looked out and low and behold, pigs everywhere. He picked out a big boar and sent him to piggy allah. Then a few minutes later, I got my chance at a small sow. She ended up taking a nap due to a massive headache.

Did not use the IR Illuminator this weekend. Was having trouble with it. But the onboard was sufficient for our stand.

I wish I had an sd card. Sorry guys.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409080057804.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  43.3 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409080069744.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  37.8 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by Chuy; 08-26-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Chuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #312
bearhunter
Six Point

What rifle are ur shootong the photon off off chuy
Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #313
bearhunter
Six Point

Also is the onboard IR good for 100 yards and closer just wondering
Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #314
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhunter View Post
Also is the onboard IR good for 100 yards and closer just wondering
It's fine inside of 100 yards, but you will notice a significant boost with an external. There are images in this thread that compare with and without.
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #315
Coach W
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
It's fine inside of 100 yards, but you will notice a significant boost with an external. There are images in this thread that compare with and without.
My experience is opposite of that. The internal IR stinks. I couldn't see 35 yards with it in the pitch black sticks this past weekend.

Get an external and you can see a long ways. 200+
Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #316
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
My experience is opposite of that. The internal IR stinks. I couldn't see 35 yards with it in the pitch black sticks this past weekend.

Get an external and you can see a long ways. 200+
Yes, I highly recommend an external light!
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #317
Husker
Six Point

Hunt In: Dimmit Co

Anyone use something other than IR to extend visual range with a Photon? I have a ND3 laser that will throw a long distance beam fairly wide. I'm wondering if I could use that until I can justify all I'm about to spend on the scope from Jason. I'm probably going to go with the 6.5 so as not to have that "I could of had better for a few $100 more" regret.

The ND3 hasn't spooked a pig yet but is cumbersome to get the beam tuned to scope at varied distances. My hope would be that I could use it to throw a wide beam and the photon will bring out the detail I can't pick up currently.
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #318
Wylde E
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

I have my AR rigged up with the photon 3.5 and IR, and as soon as it came in the hogs have left. I have yet to shoot anything other than paper.
Wylde E is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #319
Chuy
Pope & Young

I have my photon on my 6.8SPC Ar15.

I did find that the IR illuminator onboard was sufficient for our hunting situation. We have a lot of white sand, so when we hit the Illuminator, it lit up the area just fine. The UNV 20IR was overkill for this application.

HOWEVER, if you dont have a contrasting background for the pigs, the IR light is worth every penny.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #320
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylde E View Post
I have my AR rigged up with the photon 3.5 and IR, and as soon as it came in the hogs have left. I have yet to shoot anything other than paper.

Your IR light spooked the pigs?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #321
Wylde E
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

No, now that I have it all set up the hogs have moved off our place. Go figure!
Wylde E is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #322
35remington
Pope & Young

Nevermind
Old 08-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #323
Zen Archery
Ten Point

Hunt In: G-ds blessed earth!

Unless you are shooting 75 YDS plus at night or are only planning on taking 1 shot don't get over 3x power for NV. It's really difficult to reposition a 5x+ scope on a running hog or a sounder for multipig kills.
Zen Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #324
Husker
Six Point

Zen, If my shots will be in the 75-150yd range, likely single shots as they scatter so fast into the brush it would be more luck than skill for me to make another shot most situations. Would I be better served with the 4.6x vs 6.5x? I'm starting to lean towards the 4.6x and possibly a doubler to give more flexability.
Also follow up to my post yesterday does the light have to be IR or would the light from a ND3 laser work to extend range on these types of scopes?
Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #325
Chuy
Pope & Young

I would go with the lower magnification if adding a double is an option. At night, everything seems a lot closer. I like 3x a lot for follow up shots. MUCH easier than with a higher magnification, day or night.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #326
Husker
Six Point

Thanks Chuy. I think I'll go 4.6x to start and if I want more I have the option with a doubler. The one thing I saw on I think the nightvisionguys site was the 4.6x and 6.5x had the same FOV of 7m@100m. I don't pretend to understand the optics beyond whats ahead of the X. The 4.6x has a 42mm and the 6.5x has the 50mm would the larger (I believe lense) make the two have equivalent fov? or was it a typo
Old 08-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #327
Zen Archery
Ten Point

Concur. If I were to do it all over again I'd never get anything above 3x power. Using a thermal last week in a 2k corn field. The 5x Thermal could easily pick up deer and hogs over 800-1200 yards away. Great for long distance but whe we crawled up to a hog at 100 yards the critter filled half the screen. Which is great for sniping accuracy. But for follow up shots, runners or multi-pig shots 5x is way too much at distances I like to hunt 50 yards or less.

I'm not critical on powered lenses just for my purpose and way of hunting zoom is a no-no.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #328
Zen Archery
Ten Point

Also as for the IR light. It's going to depend on your hogs. I've learned with high power IR (I am currently using Torch) most critters within 100 YDS will notice faint beam. Even hogs. I try not to use any light source at all. Luckily my Pulsar digitally converts images. Therefore, I know I can turn off all IR at distances of 75 YDS or less and still convert image well enough to shoot. I personally would never use ND3. But that's me.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #329
35remington
Pope & Young

Husker, IMO the laser designator would not be a good plan. It's basically a flashlight, which the pigs will clearly identify. That defeats the stealthy purpose of NV. An IR light would serve most needs better, IMO.

However, if your pigs don't mind LD light, it is certainly true that you could use the LD to help the Photon.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #330
Husker
Six Point

Going with 4.6x, the $ difference will help fund possible future IR and doubler if I find it lacking what I need..or want (which are two totally different things usually).
Old 08-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #331
DPerez905
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca co, Nueces co, runnels co, zapata co,Henderson co, wherever else I get the invite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker View Post
Going with 4.6x, the $ difference will help fund possible future IR and doubler if I find it lacking what I need..or want (which are two totally different things usually).

I'm doing the same here!
DPerez905 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #332
djc
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba, TX

I pre ordered my 4.6 today.
djc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2014, 01:05 AM   #333
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hey guys I've got a list of the full specs of both new Photon models and I'll be posting them soon. It's on a spread sheet and I've got to find an easy way to post it but I will soon.

Lots of interest in the pre-order specials. If you are wanting to get a new model shoot me a PM for the details.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #334
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Ok I finally got this converted so I could upload it. Here are the specs on both new Photon models in a side by side comparison. This info is straight from Sightmark. I was also informed that the Sightmark CJRK one piece scope mount will not work on the new Photons. A lot of guys are asking if a particular one piece mount will work on them and until I get one in my hands, I just can't say for sure what will and won't work.

Hope this info helps! And if anyone wants info on the special TBH discounted pre-order pricing, shoot me a PM.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #335
Ponyboy
Nubbin' Buck

We hunt hogs almost exclusively at night with night vision. When we use thermal it's as a spotter and then NV to shoot. We use IR aiming lasers and night vision compatible Eotechs and Aimpoints.

Before we settled on Gen3 stuff we tried everything from the cheap Gen1 stuff that is barely usable to Pulsar Digisights which are decent with a good moon but are mostly useless on very dark nights without any ambient light due to the diminished visibility and range and the image lag resulting from the time it takes for the unit to gain up the image and project it on the screen.

When it comes to night vision, you really do get what you pay for.

Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #336
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Ok I finally got this converted so I could upload it. Here are the specs on both new Photon models in a side by side comparison. This info is straight from Sightmark. I was also informed that the Sightmark CJRK one piece scope mount will not work on the new Photons. A lot of guys are asking if a particular one piece mount will work on them and until I get one in my hands, I just can't say for sure what will and won't work.

Hope this info helps! And if anyone wants info on the special TBH discounted pre-order pricing, shoot me a PM.
That spec sheet is almost but not quite readable. Do you have a little higher-res version or maybe a link to your site?

Last edited by 35remington; 08-30-2014 at 06:53 PM..
Old 08-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #337
bearhunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Archery View Post
Also as for the IR light. It's going to depend on your hogs. I've learned with high power IR (I am currently using Torch) most critters within 100 YDS will notice faint beam. Even hogs. I try not to use any light source at all. Luckily my Pulsar digitally converts images. Therefore, I know I can turn off all IR at distances of 75 YDS or less and still convert image well enough to shoot. I personally would never use ND3. But that's me.
Zen am looking into a photon , I see you are in mckinny area am in the pine woods of northeast texas , what would u suggest to make 100 yard and closer shots on pigs at night, would I need the doublers, and aftermarket IR,s , I have looked through some digital scopes and seems the pine trees and underbrush create a lot of washout. the new scopes lowest power will be almost 5 , and as for the doubler according to Jason they may not accept a doubler, whats your past use in like areas tell u , and could I be served with just scope from factory, according to Jason new models will have a IR that's 30 percent stronger. most of my hunting will be from blinds inside 100 yards thanks man
Old 08-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #338
bearhunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuy View Post
I have my photon on my 6.8SPC Ar15.

I did find that the IR illuminator onboard was sufficient for our hunting situation. We have a lot of white sand, so when we hit the Illuminator, it lit up the area just fine. The UNV 20IR was overkill for this application.

HOWEVER, if you dont have a contrasting background for the pigs, the IR light is worth every penny.
great chun I am planning on putting my scope on a bushmaster 6.8, is it putting hogs down well, just got my 6.8 last spring not really hunted with it yet. u got 6.8 as a deicated night rifle , or are you also using in daylight , if so do u use quick release mounts or other setup , thanks for any advice.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #339
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County

I'm sitting in my truck, looking over a tank about 60 yds away.

Photon is ready
Ar15 is locked and loaded

Wind in my face and corn is out.

200 lb boar killed yesterday...same spot...caught in the trap.
BuckySWT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #340
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409455388.012666.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  214.1 KB
Old 08-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #341
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Coon eyes light up like flashlights...
Old 08-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #342
Ecoboost
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX AND IL

crappy phone pic....
Attached Images

Ecoboost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2014, 04:26 AM   #343
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
That spec sheet is almost but not quite readable. Do you have a little higher-res version or maybe a link to your site?

Let me check on that after church when I'm in front of my laptop. It was plenty big on my laptop yesterday when I posted it but it's very small using Tapatalk on my iPhone. Weird? I'll see what I can figure out, sorry!

Also, Bearhunter mentioned something I told him on the phone on Friday and I've been meaning to mention it in this thread. A lot of guys have mentioned to me that they are going to buy the the 4.6x and use a doubler for long range. After talking to Sightmark there is no guarantee that a doubler can be attached to the new Photon models. Again, I have yet to see the new models so I can't say for myself but at least one person at Soghtmark who was holding one in his hand while talking to me said he doubted a doubler would attach. To be clear, that might be bad info, but I just don't want anyone to make a purchase with the assumption they will be able to attach a doubler. Also, even if it will accept a doubler, I guess it is up to UNV to decide if they want to make one for it, if it requires a different coupler.

I am supposed to be getting more info soon and I'll post up when I get some details. There is still a lot of wild speculation since no one has seen the new models yet.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #344
Zen Archery
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhunter View Post
would I need the doublers, and aftermarket IR,s , I have looked through some digital scopes and seems the pine trees and underbrush create a lot of washout. the new scopes lowest power will be almost 5 , and as for the doubler according to Jason they may not accept a doubler, whats your past use in like areas
I hunted with a friend who had the 3x Photon. I was impressed by onboard IR but I really like my Torch (after market IR) for scouting purposes beyond 100 yards.

In most cases 20%+ moon I don't use IR under 75 yards when hunting. I'm convinced hogs pick up beam. But I use IR to scout longer distances 100 yards+.

Wash out is going to be a problem with any digital type NV. That's why I choose not to hunt with it. Especially when your IR picks up your AR gas discharge. When scouting longer distances you can at least pick up glowing eyes to go investigate.

I'm currently investigating a thermal. I will "never" get a NV beyond 3x power. But this is me. Next time I'm in Mineola or Grand Saline I'll let you play with my gear to help you understand why.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #345
StrayDog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

I need this...
StrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2014, 12:52 AM   #346
Killswitch
Four Point

Hunt In: Rusk County

So if the new 4.6 will not accept a doubler would it be better to go with the larger one? Most of my shots would be around 100 yds but my property is 390 acres and there are places (hay field) where you could take 200 to 300 yd. Shots. Just thinking myabe it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Opinions appreciated.
Killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #347
bearhunter
Six Point

Thanks zen would luv to look through yer set up. as for scouting do u use a scouting scope or youer rifle scope
Old 09-01-2014, 11:46 PM   #348
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Killswitch, my opinion is this.....4.6x is great for 100 yards or less. Reaching out to 150-200+ having the higher magnification is really nice. The problem is 6.5x is a pretty high magnification for under 75 yards or so. It can actually be way too much for shots under 50 yards. I think the 4.6x is probably a better all around choice, if you plan on making closer shots. There is a chance you can add a doubler (just have to wait and see) so that would offer you the best of both worlds. For the guys who plan on making a lot of longer shots, the 6.5x is the logical choice.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #349
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Let me try posting the specs again for both new Photon XT's. Let me know if this is better......

http://site.outdoorlegacygear.com/ho...Comparison.pdf

- Jason
Old 09-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #350
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Let me try posting the specs again for both new Photon XT's. Let me know if this is better......

http://site.outdoorlegacygear.com/ho...Comparison.pdf

- Jason
That's perfect, Jason. Thanks!