Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dump trailers ??

Anyone use a dump trailer much?

I have a tractor with a FEL and am debating either buying or renting a dump trailer. I have roughly 2 miles of ranch roads I need to maintain. Hesitant to buy because I won't be sure if I have enough on site material until I start digging more.

And any idea how many front end bucket loads will fit in a 5x8 dump trailer? And will a Tacoma haul a 5x8 easy enough?

No picture of a 5x8 but here's a bigger one

Are they easy to use? Does the hydraulic break much on these or do they last forever like tractor parts?

Had one to haul my shredded materials in but I got rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hogman7290 View Post
      Had one to haul my shredded materials in but I got rid of it.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji24]

Comment

How tall are the sides on the trailer?
        How big is your bucket?
        There are 27 cu.ft to a cu.yrd
        Soil weighs about 2200lbs per cu.yard
        Sand weighs about 3000lbs per cu.yard

Simple math will answer every question you have.

You're welcome.

Comment

Depends on the size of your tractor and loader, and how far you are moving material. It would hold about 3 buckets from my tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            Depends on the size of your tractor and loader, and how far you are moving material. It would hold about 3 buckets from my tractor.
            I have a 60hp New Holland with standard FEL. I'm looking for a dump trailer and don't even know what sizes are out there.

I was guessing 3 buckets. My questions were more about how the weight is distributed on the dump trailer. If it's more over the axel etc. And if they're worth the money. Only ones I saw were about 6k

And moving material up to 1/2 mile

Comment

If you have miles of road to do. You're gonna need something a helluva lot bigger than a 5x8 and a Tacoma, hoss

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                If you have miles of road to do. You're gonna need something a helluva lot bigger than a 5x8 and a Tacoma, hoss

More like a Terex 250

Comment

I can promise you it will take more than 3 buckets to fill the trailer you are talking about. Your bucket is only 1/3 cu.yrd. That trailer is most likely 3 yards. Therefor it would take 9 struck buckets or 6 mounded buckets to fill that trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                    More like a Terex 250

At the very least something bigger than a lawn trailer

Comment

Many rental places won't rent a dump trailer unless you have 3/4 ton truck there to pull it, my experience here in DFW anyway. I was able to get a 5x8 once and my F150 pulled it fine. A load of dirt/gravel would be pretty heavy tho.

A dump trailer takes a long time to pay for itself unless you are using it a couple times a week. I've found that paying for pull offs from a flatbed trailer at the dump makes more sense for me, but sounds like your needs are a bit different from mine. I do a lot of construction debris cleanup and haul off to landfill.

Everyone I know with a dump trailer has done repairs at one time or another to hydraulics. They are simple use but I really think a Tacoma would be undersized for dumping heavy loads, you'll wanna be on very level ground. Pulling it wouldn't be much trouble, stopping could be. Anyway, I'm no expert, but ,you recommendation is to rent a trailer and rent/borrow a 3/4 ton truck. With a bigger truck you can rent a 14' or even 16' trailer.

Comment

Pay someone to haul your road material for you it's much easier. My wife's family actually crushes rock and haul charges are cheap. Just my opinion though, any way you can make it work!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                          I can promise you it will take more than 3 buckets to fill the trailer you are talking about. Your bucket is only 1/3 cu.yrd. That trailer is most likely 3 yards. Therefor it would take 9 struck buckets or 6 mounded buckets to fill that trailer.
                          And you're talking about a 5x8 and not the one in the link right?

And the roads are there, I just need to maintain them. I know my tractor can get what I need but need a way to speed up moving it around the ranch.

Originally posted by TxnRunner View Post
                          Many rental places won't rent a dump trailer unless you have 3/4 ton truck there to pull it, my experience here in DFW anyway. I was able to get a 5x8 once and my F150 pulled it fine. A load of dirt/gravel would be pretty heavy tho.

A dump trailer takes a long time to pay for itself unless you are using it a couple times a week. I've found that paying for pull offs from a flatbed trailer at the dump makes more sense for me, but sounds like your needs are a bit different from mine. I do a lot of construction debris cleanup and haul off to landfill.

Everyone I know with a dump trailer has done repairs at one time or another to hydraulics. They are simple use but I really think a Tacoma would be undersized for dumping heavy loads, you'll wanna be on very level ground. Pulling it wouldn't be much trouble, stopping could be. Anyway, I'm no expert, but ,you recommendation is to rent a trailer and rent/borrow a 3/4 ton truck. With a bigger truck you can rent a 14' or even 16' trailer.
                          Thanks for this advice. At least one person can give advise without being a jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by CWaller30 View Post
                            Pay someone to haul your road material for you it's much easier. My wife's family actually crushes rock and haul charges are cheap. Just my opinion though, any way you can make it work!
                            I had estimates and it was way too much. I'll keep looking for a used dump trailer maybe. I can always just put in 3-6 buckets or whatever my truck can easily handle. I only plan to work on small parts of the road maybe 2-3 days per month.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              I had estimates and it was way too much. I'll keep looking for a used dump trailer maybe. I can always just put in 3-6 buckets or whatever my truck can easily handle. I only plan to work on small parts of the road maybe 2-3 days per month.
                              Sounds like a plan. Good luck with your project!

Comment

Working...
                              X