Kayak Rocket Launchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kayak Rocket Launchers

Since I couldn't get out to fish today I figured I would do a little project on mine and my sons kayaks. We fish the bay quite a bit and from what I read is if you put rods in built in holders they will get wet from paddling and from waves so getting them up is ideal. So project rocket launcher is what I did today.

Material to make 1

2- 1.25" 45's
    2- 1.25" 90's
    3- 1.25" Cross
    5' of 1.25" pvc
    PVC glue and primer

I did install a 1.25"x 1/2" on mine for a flag or lights or camera
    Took about 45 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re kayaks ?

Are those kayaks the 12 footers? I would like some reviews of them if you don't mind ? I have a 10 ft Nice now. But I am looking for my son, as he ain't a small one anymore.

Comment

One is a 10 and the other is a 12. My son is 13 so I figured a 10 footer would be. EST for him, and the 12 is plenty big for me. We have used them twice and have really enjoyed them a lot. Going to try and get out this coming up week in the bay and that's when I will really get a feel for it.

Comment

That's what we do as well, very cheap and easy/functional improvement. Think mine holds 4 use it for a net and 2 rods. If you haven't yet. Figure out how to lash rour rods with a quick and easy release. I do the same with paddle. Unhook when you use rods then hook them back up. I've lost a really nice rod and reel before I started leashing mine when kayak rolled

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
          That's what we do as well, very cheap and easy/functional improvement. Think mine holds 4 use it for a net and 2 rods. If you haven't yet. Figure out how to lash rour rods with a quick and easy release. I do the same with paddle. Unhook when you use rods then hook them back up. I've lost a really nice rod and reel before I started leashing mine when kayak rolled
          Already got the bungee cord to make it reel keepers, will play around with it to figure out the best way. I've watched too many videos to not keep everything secure.

Comment

Those look great!

Comment

Look up Professor Salt on YouTube. He makes some great rod/paddle leashes out of trimmer cord. Strong and durable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

good work, wish i would have thought of that when i had mine

Comment

Originally posted by fishfeeder01 View Post
                  Are those kayaks the 12 footers? I would like some reviews of them if you don't mind ? I have a 10 ft Nice now. But I am looking for my son, as he ain't a small one anymore.
                  I've got the 12'6". I love the dang thing. Very very sturdy and lots of room. I can sit in that thing all day and fish. Downfalls. It is heavy. If you like to bring your whole house with you fishing be sure to put the kayak in the water before you try to pick it up. Another thing, I'm not sure if it's because I'm 230 pounds lol, but it is a slow moving kayak. Overall. For the price. I will take it over the high end kayaks any day.

Comment

Did you heat up the PVC to get it in the rod tubes?

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
                      Did you heat up the PVC to get it in the rod tubes?
                      That's a good idea, didn't think of that. I just put on belt sander for a second.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasDaddy View Post
                        Look up Professor Salt on YouTube. He makes some great rod/paddle leashes out of trimmer cord. Strong and durable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

x 2 this works very well.

I made all mine wrapped around a 12" piece of 1/2" conduit. They ended up way to long. I cut most of the ones I made in half. I used a piece of Velcro around the rod base, and a carabiner to the yak. They have saved two people's rods from being on the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by jbarr View Post
                          That's a good idea, didn't think of that. I just put on belt sander for a second.
                          I'm working on the same build. the guy I got the idea from heated his up. I may have rushed it too much, when I heated mine, it folded as I started stuffing it. His first video, he used a lathe. I like the belt sander idea!

Comment

Use a carabiner for a quick and easy release on all your tethers, paddle or rod.

Comment

Excellent ideas

Comment

Working...
                              X