Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 04-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #2701
coachwhip
Eight Point

Great review as always Jason, might be looking very serious at that optic in the future!BTW thanks for fixing my video link.
coachwhip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #2702
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Ok, I'm in on this thread. I'm thinking about NV for my AR. I'm tried o the hogs getting away with it when the sun goes down. What's the cost of NV and What's a good beginner's unit?

I'm already shooting suppressed, but now I've got the NV bug.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #2703
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
Ok, I'm in on this thread. I'm thinking about NV for my AR. I'm tried o the hogs getting away with it when the sun goes down. What's the cost of NV and What's a good beginner's unit?

Budget is everything. You can spend four hundred dollars on a scope or ten thousand dollars on a scope. This is not an exaggeration.

Decide your budget, ping Jason @ Outdoor Legacy Gear, and go from there.

Welcome to the addiction.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #2704
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Quote:

Budget, budget, budget. It really all just depends on what you are willing to spend. 35Rem is right, you can spend $500 or you can spend $10,000. And to be honest, there are more guys in this thread with $500-$700 optics than anything else and they will definitely get the job done on a budget.

Feel free to call me anytime and I'll answer all your questions and hopefully point you in the right direction. No pressure to by, no hard sales, just free advice, I promise ya that. I use NV and thermal 7 days a week and I'll be glad to offer up my 2 cents.

(877)350-1818

- Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #2705
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:

I would save up for the next level up that you want to spend. Been there done that and seen many people regret it and wish they did this
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #2706
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Budget, budget, budget. It really all just depends on what you are willing to spend. 35Rem is right, you can spend $500 or you can spend $10,000. And to be honest, there are more guys in this thread with $500-$700 optics than anything else and they will definitely get the job done on a budget.

Feel free to call me anytime and I'll answer all your questions and hopefully point you in the right direction. No pressure to by, no hard sales, just free advice, I promise ya that. I use NV and thermal 7 days a week and I'll be glad to offer up my 2 cents.

(877)350-1818

- Jason

PM sent
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #2707
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason County, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
I would save up for the next level up that you want to spend. Been there done that and seen many people regret it and wish they did this

I can vouch for that. I was budgeting for a Trail XQ38 and got a Trail XQ50 instead, itís a jam up scope and Iím glad Iíd saved some extra and got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russ81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 11:14 PM   #2708
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post
I can vouch for that. I was budgeting for a Trail XQ38 and got a Trail XQ50 instead, itís a jam up scope and Iím glad Iíd saved some extra and got it.

I went a bit different direction. I was thinking around $5k but decided a Trail XQ38 was sufficient. I then added a Core RXQ30 (after using a Photon one weekend) to use primarily as a handheld that could also be used on a second rifle when we have company. Iím pleased with my choices.
Lip is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #2709
35remington
Pope & Young

All good choices. What I can say almost universally is that once you look through thermal, you won’t want to hunt at night with anything else.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #2710
ttubudd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Glen Rose, TX, Hico, TX, Eufaula, OK

Quote:
Thanks that's very helpful. My advice is to do this.....

Completely un-mount the scope from the rings.

Move the front ring to the back and back ring to the font.

When remounting the scope, be sure to slowly tighten down the front and back rings evenly. Meaning, don't tighten down the front ring and then do the back. Do them slowly all at the same time to ensure the scope doesn't get in any direction.

If there is something wrong with the scope you will still be maxed out and low. If anything changes and you are now shooting high, left, right, dead on etc there was a mounting problem.

If you are do all this and you are 6-7" high and maxed out at 25 yards you have a defective ring. Switching the rings front to back will show us if a defective ring is causing the problem because the problem (shooting low) will not be reversed and you'd be shooting high.

In all the times I've dealt with this I've never seen a defective ring but I have seen defective one piece mounts. I've seen 3 defective Photons related to this issue over the last 5 years but I've seen countless mounting problems, including it happening to me personally more than 1 time.

If this doesn't help, I'd suggest calling your dealer and seeing if he has any more suggestions. Let me know if you have more questions.

Jason

Thanks Jason, I'll give it a try and report back!

ttubudd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #2711
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
All good choices. What I can say almost universally is that once you look through thermal, you wonít want to hunt at night with anything else.
AMEN! NV doesn't even compare
Old 05-05-2018, 02:12 AM   #2712
Russ81
Pope & Young

He gone!!!

http://youtu.be/4QAdnLUyzkQ

Iím starting to see why some of yíall got teenagers. Sure was nice having help fetching the ranger and loading 175# of pork in it!!!

Old 05-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #2713
lglidewell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco & Burleson County

Friday night - 2 boars
Saturday night - 3 boars (1 ran off) and a sow. 12.5” 6.5 Grendel - Pulsar Apex XQ50

lglidewell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #2714
HansETX
Spike

Hunt In: Van Zandt County
Default The Hogs Have Been In Invisible Stealth Mode Lately...

The other night I walked in after seeing no hogs for the past 5 nights and told my wife.. "Babe we've got a hog problem.. the problem is I haven't seen any hogs lately!!" She looked at me like I was an idiots which is her go-to look for when I talking about anything that she could care less about.. haha! No hogs is a good thing but it looks like I'll have to start patrolling some of our other fields away from the house.. No more lazy front porch hunting for me.. Got a couple hunts here where I caught a couple lonely boars slippin'... What are y'all seeing out there??

https://youtu.be/nxOFl6iWimU
HansETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2018, 01:09 AM   #2715
Russ81
Pope & Young

Default Night Vision hunting Thread

I see dead hogs

And like @Lip stated a possible Core RXQ30 in the future ☠️☠️☠️🤣🤣🤣

My hoopty fetcher for the weekend got him one last night on the neighbors place and I shot a small sick sow.
http://youtu.be/K0pbJp3nkFI

Last edited by Russ81; 05-07-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #2716
jimmyneutrontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

Just bought a ATN X-Sight II 5x20 to start hunting with night vision.

Canít wait

jimmyneutrontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #2717
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansETX View Post
The other night I walked in after seeing no hogs for the past 5 nights and told my wife.. "Babe we've got a hog problem.. the problem is I haven't seen any hogs lately!!" She looked at me like I was an idiots which is her go-to look for when I talking about anything that she could care less about.. haha! No hogs is a good thing but it looks like I'll have to start patrolling some of our other fields away from the house.. No more lazy front porch hunting for me.. Got a couple hunts here where I caught a couple lonely boars slippin'... What are y'all seeing out there??

Been very slow for me also! hardly seeing any pigs.

Jan-April we put a hurting on them out in fields at night. That all stopped
Old 05-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #2718
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansETX View Post

We killed over 30 in about a month (most with traps) and I havenít seen any in the past two trips to the farm. Saturday night I was out and saw 2 hog doggers with a couple of dogs walking through the field just below our property so guessing between us and them, pressure has temporarily moved them out of our pastures. Theyíll be back.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #2719
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
I see dead hogs

And like @Lip stated a possible Core RXQ30 in the future ☠️☠️☠️🤣🤣🤣

Iím really glad I bought one. Itís so much easier scoping the field without having to swing an AR back and forth
Old 05-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #2720
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Glad to hear you are thinning them Lip. But yep....they'll be back.

Great pics guys, lots of hogs getting slaughtered!
Old 05-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #2721
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quick update:

I've got a ton of thermal and digital NV in stock. Pular, FLIR, Sightmark, the new ATN X-Sight 4K's.... Feel free to PM me or call for details, I've got a bunch of stuff coming back into stock after 6 months of all being back ordered.

(877)350-1818
https://outdoorlegacygear.com/

- Jason
Old 05-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #2722
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
Iím really glad I bought one. Itís so much easier scoping the field without having to swing an AR back and forth

And like you also said a back up rifle for someone tagging along would be welcomed. The man I bought my AR-10 from had some good deals on AR mutants I wouldnít mind adding to the stable. Had a group the other night I didnít get video of that having two guns running could of shot a few more out of.

My biggest thing is practicing judging distance at night. Kanyonís hog i would of swore was big and far off. Turns out he was 110 and about 50yds away. Definitely going to keep ranging landmarks during the day in areas they frequent and keep plugging at it.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #2723
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Quick update:

I've got a ton of thermal and digital NV in stock. Pular, FLIR, Sightmark, the new ATN X-Sight 4K's.... Feel free to PM me or call for details, I've got a bunch of stuff coming back into stock after 6 months of all being back ordered.

(877)350-1818
https://outdoorlegacygear.com/

- Jason
I can see on IG and Fb... everyone is getting Pulsar's in stock at the same time! EVERYONE lol
Old 05-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #2724
Russ81
Pope & Young

Well thatís a first...

Old 05-07-2018, 11:50 PM   #2725
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
I can see on IG and Fb... everyone is getting Pulsar's in stock at the same time! EVERYONE lol
That's true....but not EVERYONE is a TBH sponsor.

It's just the time of year. Everyone who's been in this business long knows that Nov-March are the busy months and you play catch up and build inventory in April-October. It's just that no one had ever seen a Nov-March as crazy as the industry just experienced. We've been in an oil and gas boom of thermal but as expected, it goes away as fast as it came. Things are getting back to normal. It will be interesting to see how it plays out this fall though. Only time will tell.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #2726
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Well thatís a first...
Dang Russell, you know how to tick off the liberals! I've dodged those restrictions so far but I keep waiting to get one. I'm guessing some bunny hugger reported your video.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:12 AM   #2727
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Dang Russell, you know how to tick off the liberals! I've dodged those restrictions so far but I keep waiting to get one. I'm guessing some bunny hugger reported your video.

Well theyíve also hated on the calf catcher video because I was ripping a baby calf from itís momma. Never mind she could and will FOLLOW you wherever you go, which is the whole point. Now that the calf is born I can put momma on feed and the pair closer too the house for protection.

Come too think of it, theyíre gonna be really hot come calving season when I swap the thermal to the AR15 and pop coyotes from my upstairs window in my bedroom

Old 05-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #2728
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Well theyíve also hated on the calf catcher video because I was ripping a baby calf from itís momma. Never mind she could and will FOLLOW you wherever you go, which is the whole point. Now that the calf is born I can put momma on feed and the pair closer too the house for protection.

Come too think of it, theyíre gonna be really hot come calving season when I swap the thermal to the AR15 and pop coyotes from my upstairs window in my bedroom

LOL!!! Ya you're going to have their California heads exploding over there. I think we all know how the liberal mindset and logic works......it doesn't work at all. They don't care about the fact that you're killing animals that root up crops.....the crops that they want all of us to eat when we become vegetarians like them.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #2729
Russ81
Pope & Young

Well weíre getting serious down here on the coast, if I got time in the coming weeks gonna be building a jump seat for the ranger. Itíd be nice to have a seat already in the bed instead of climbing up and down on the roof all night for a better vantage.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #2730
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

Quote:
That's true....but not EVERYONE is a TBH sponsor.

It's just the time of year. Everyone who's been in this business long knows that Nov-March are the busy months and you play catch up and build inventory in April-October. It's just that no one had ever seen a Nov-March as crazy as the industry just experienced. We've been in an oil and gas boom of thermal but as expected, it goes away as fast as it came. Things are getting back to normal. It will be interesting to see how it plays out this fall though. Only time will tell.
My side hustle is in overdrive right now. Hopefully, I'll have one ordered while they're still in stock.
SAC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #2731
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC View Post
My side hustle is in overdrive right now. Hopefully, I'll have one ordered while they're still in stock.
Yes sir! This summer is a great time to buy because you are going to have the full selection to choose from, everything should be in stock and hopefully we won't have those crazy 30-90 delays like we are starting to come out of. There are still some optics on back order but things are looking good for the most part.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #2732
Russ81
Pope & Young

Nice podcast Jason @Outdoorlegacy!

Old 05-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #2733
Russ81
Pope & Young

Well went out last night and it was slow. Shot a fat 100# sow in the neck @50-60yds and dropped her.

Would of been an awesome video but I somehow bumped record on the scope while driving around and didnít get it, just five minutes before I shot her.

So sorry, always next time

Old 05-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #2734
DRettele
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central Texas, Kansas unit #6 & 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyneutrontx View Post
Just bought a ATN X-Sight II 5x20 to start hunting with night vision.

Canít wait

You're going to love it!
DRettele is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #2735
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Russ mentioned it the other day but I wanted to give a formal announcement. This is a cross post from Around the Campfire but I wanted to post this up in both places.

Hey y'all I just wanted to let TBH know that I've teamed up with my good friend HansETX and we've started a podcast called The Late Night Vision Show. The podcast is the first and only podcast dedicated to all things night vision, thermal imaging, hog hunting, coyote hunting, scope reviews...you name it, if it's got to do with night vision or night hunting we are going to talk about it.

Hans is best known for his HansETX Youtube channel. He's from Ben Wheeler over close to Van and he is a hog killing machine and a super nice guy.

The podcast is already live and the 2nd episode was published today.

The podcast is available on iTunes/Apple Podcasts, Google Play and a bunch of other podcast hosting services, just search for The Late Night Vision Show. You can also listen directly on your phone or pc without any app if you prefer, the link is below.

https://anchor.fm/thelatenightvisionshow

You can find the podcast on FB and Instagram @thelatenightvisionshow and I'm @outdoorlegacygear so hit me up too.

Thanks guys, we appreciate the TBH support!

- Jason
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #2736
Paslaw0311
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Full tnvc-pvs14 hunting setup in the classifieds today.
Paslaw0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 12:10 AM   #2737
Russ81
Pope & Young

Another one bites the dust!

Old 05-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #2738
kkp005
Six Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Got my 300 blk pistol pieced together. Just waiting on the can now

kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #2739
Fordnandez
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction, TX

What model Pulsar is that?
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #2740
Fordnandez
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction, TX

Got an AR built in Ruger 204 with a Pulsar N960 LRF and sniper hog light. Can was ordered February 1. I am ready to do some varmint hunting.
Attached Images

Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #2741
kkp005
Six Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
What model Pulsar is that?
Trail XQ38
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #2742
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Great looking setups kkp005 and Fordnandez. Y'all are ready to roll.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #2743
HansETX
Spike

Hunt In: Van Zandt County
Default 6 East Texas Hogs Taken With GunsNChickenStrips...

James from the GunsNChickenStrips YouTube Channel came out to East Texas to help me out with some of these hogs. Him and I were both using .308's and Pulsar Trail XP50's. Knocked down 4 decent hogs and a couple bacon bits. One of the bacon bits exploded like it had tannerite stuck up its butt and lit on fire...haha!!

https://youtu.be/7cTaSqPCGio
HansETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #2744
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

As some of you may have heard, Pulsar is coming out with a Laser Range Finder (LRF) version of their Trail thermal rifle scopes. They are only a couple demo units available for testing in the US but they were kind enough to send one out for me to play with. I will be doing a full video review soon but from my use so far I've got to say that this thing is awesome.

I was able to use it on a coyote last week at over 250 yards and it was awesome to instantly know how far away he was since I was in a pasture that was probably 80-100 acres. I've been really impressed so far. If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask and it might be helpful for me to include them in the review video when I do it later this week.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #2745
Russ81
Pope & Young

If only they made that dern thing a add on accessory...

I can see that leveling the playing field to perfect level especially when you gotta reach out there and touch something though! Beats the daylight prep work I do now of ranging treelines to give me a better idea of know hog haunts.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #2746
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
If only they made that dern thing a add on accessory...
Impossible. It's integrated into the firmware/software of the new units. There is no viable way to retrofit this capability to the physical chips that are already installed in existing housings. If you want to add LRF capabilities to your rig, find a used SWR Radius.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #2747
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Russ, I totally hear you on that. I wish it was modular and could be taken off and on but for now it's not. Maybe that's something they can do in a few years with new models? It would be cool.

I've been impressed with it so far, it works better than I expected.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 PM   #2748
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Impossible. It's integrated into the firmware/software of the new units. There is no viable way to retrofit this capability to the physical chips that are already installed in existing housings. If you want to add LRF capabilities to your rig, find a used SWR Radius.

I know Rem wishful thinking for sure. I watched Ellermann and Huey play with them a few months ago then listened to Jason and Hans talk about it. Figured I give you boys a break from a meme

I agree itís a great rig for long range shooting but Iíve gotten good at using the stadiametric rangefinder the Trail has and besides, I own the night with my Trail XQ50, I donít have to reach out and touch them, just spot them.

Quote:
Russ, I totally hear you on that. I wish it was modular and could be taken off and on but for now it's not. Maybe that's something they can do in a few years with new models? It would be cool.

I've been impressed with it so far, it works better than I expected.

The way electronics are I bet dollar to donut holes weíll see it by 2020-2022. Time will tell I reckon.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:44 PM   #2749
nchunter
Six Point

Anyone used the pulsar f 135/155 clip ons?
Specs and prices seem reasonable.
nchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #2750
BobbyJoe
Six Point

Hunt In: Mills County

searched round and round - can't seem to find an answer.

Can a Sightmark Photon XT handle the recoil of a 20 gauge? I have a chance to hog hunt a place where only shotguns are allowed.
BobbyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top