Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type/spine of arrows for longbow

Hi guys, long time compound shooter looking to get into a longbow. I’m
    Going to get the PGU compact folding takedown bow, and I was curious what type of arrows to get. I know I’ll need feather fletchings, but what about spine? Probably will go the carbon route to make some takedown arrows. Any help
    Is greatly appreciated !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops 40 pound dw at 28 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Type/spine of arrows for longbow

Not trying to talk you into or out of anything, but if you have no experience with traditional equipment, and you are serious about learning how to get good with traditional equipment, you would probably be much better off getting a Samick Sage (or the like) bow to learn on, at about the same price point.

As far as arrows go for a bow that is 40# at your draw length, a .600 spine arrow will be a good place to start. Idk how you are planning on making a takedown arrow, but it’s probably not the best idea in the world to do that!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Bisch; 02-20-2018, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Bisch. Why do you think I shouldn’t build take down arrows?

Comment

That folding survival bow isn't going to be the best for learning to shoot well.
          It is what it is, and works simi well for it's purpose, which is a simple bugout weapon.

As Bisch stated, you can get one of the less expensive recurves, or longbows, and will be much better off in the long run.

Takedown arrows take a lot of work to get right. You are creating a rigid spot where the spice (edit: yeah I meant splice ) is, which throws off the original spine of the shaft, AND creates a spot in which the arrows are prone to break, or bend. Novel idea, that don't work all that well.

All that said - Once you get a handle on it, and want to have a folding bow for your bugout pack, then go for it. Takedown arrows too.

Rick
          Last edited by RickBarbee; 02-20-2018, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Those bows and arrows are neat in a survival, SHTF kind of way. If I wanted a bow I planned to shoot often and maybe even hunt with other than small game survival situations, I would take Bisch and Rick's advice.

Comment

I’d be afraid a takedown arrow would end up in my arm. Not doggin your idea. Just would be a fear of mine.

Comment

I wouldn't use the takedown arrows all the time, I'd shoot them to see how they fly, then store them for the SHTF stuff. All the videos and reviews about the PGU bow have raved about how easy and accurate it is to shoot, which is why I was interested in it. Plus the portability/fold ability/survival angle.

Comment

I think it’s a cool idea. The .600’s, like Bisch mentioned would be your way to go. Don’t worry about fine tuning them till you get good enough to get some decent groups. It’s a real headache to tune arrows till you’re proficient with your equipment. Try to find carbons on the heavier side. I know, in the 600’s that’s tough to do. Stay at it and more importantly, have fun with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X