Property tax/being sued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property tax/being sued

How can a county appraisal district sue a person for back taxes (2016 taxes) to a house that their parents (who are now deceased) sold almost 50 years ago?
    They are suing for legal fees and 2016 taxes. Trying to not have to hire a lawyer to fight BS crap.
    Is there anything they can do?
    Will this affect credit if not paid? Will anything be effected?
    House shows to be owned by the person they sold it to 100%.
    Have not spoken to the appraisal office, they went through the trouble of researching the 3 daughters and serving them papers. It doesn't seem this was a simple clerical error. The 3 daughters had not even graduated high school when the house sold 46ish years ago.

That’s crazy. Don’t know what to tell you though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They’ll go back and sue all heirs or purported heirs of the prior owners, just in case anyone has a claim to the house.

Typically they’ll nonsuit you and agree not to assess taxes, attorney’s fees, etc. against you in exchange for relinquishing any claim to the house. I’ve been down this road a few times.

Disclaimer: not legal advice, I’ve never met you or the parties or reviewed any documents, haven’t stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in a while, blah blah blah.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
        They’ll go back and sue all heirs or purported heirs of the prior owners, just in case anyone has a claim to the house.

Typically they’ll nonsuit you and agree not to assess taxes, attorney’s fees, etc. against you in exchange for relinquishing any claim to the house. I’ve been down this road a few times.

Disclaimer: not legal advice, I’ve never met you or the parties or reviewed any documents, haven’t stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in a while, blah blah blah.
        Thanks. Can I call them and tell them I relinquish any claims or do I need to do paper work?

Does selling the house not give up any claim?
        Last edited by doublearrow; 02-19-2018, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Yes, you’ll have to do paperwork, they’ll send you stuff to sign. Just make sure they agree not to seek any damages against you.

Comment

Contact them quickly. You only have a certain amount of time to respond the the suit. Should be on the service notice. If you don’t, they may be awarded summary judgement against you.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
              Yes, you’ll have to do paperwork, they’ll send you stuff to sign. Just make sure they agree not to seek any damages against you.
              Thanks.

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
              Contact them quickly. You only have a certain amount of time to respond the the suit. Should be on the service notice. If you don’t, they may be awarded summary judgement against you.

I'll have to look, but I think it was 20 days.
              I'm completely flabbergasted that
              1. Someone can be held liable for money on a house their parents sold 40-50 years ago.
              2. That jackasses at a county tax office can pay a lawyer to go after that someone in these circumstances. Researching all of this had to take some time that tax payers had to pay for somehow. And how often does it happen?
              3. if I dont respond to this I get to pay.
              4. That this has ever been allowed in the history of ever.

Need to figure out how to counter sue for pain and suffering for worry and embarrassment of being served/sued. The time taken to research and make calls to fix this when I could be doing something else.
              All of that's gotta be worth around 75 billion. It seems as hair brained as going after a non owner 50 years later.

Comment

Property and school taxes are totally out of control and they need their wings clipped off,

Best of luck!

Comment

Phone call won't do any good. Go see them asap before its too late.

Comment

Yes, it is an absolute travesty that this sort of intimidating tactic is allowed by the courts (although, if your assertions are correct, you would ultimately prevail in the suit).

A well crafted letter, sent via Certified Mail, might get their attention. The letter could state that you do not own, nor own any interest in, said property, and that you will countersue for damages and attorney fees if you are not dropped from the suit within 5 business days.

An attorney would probably charge a nominal fee for drafting said letter with their professional letterhead.

This is not legal advice. I am not an attorney.

Comment

Wow... that sounds like some bull spit there

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
                        Yes, it is an absolute travesty that this sort of intimidating tactic is allowed by the courts (although, if your assertions are correct, you would ultimately prevail in the suit).

A well crafted letter, sent via Certified Mail, might get their attention. The letter could state that you do not own, nor own any interest in, said property, and that you will countersue for damages and attorney fees if you are not dropped from the suit within 5 business days.

An attorney would probably charge a nominal fee for drafting said letter with their professional letterhead.

This is not legal advice. I am not an attorney.

This sounds like a reasonable place to start.Then sue the county,the person directly responsible for it,his/her staff that did the work,the person that served you,aaaand all of their children,grandchildren,cousins,aunt,uncles pets and close aquaintences.

As mentioned before,this is not legal advise,and I'm not a lawyer.I hate out of control government at all levels.

DJ

Comment

Tell them you'll pay the taxes if they give you the house.

Comment

Dude that’s ridiculous. Is this midland? What a bunch of crooks. They’re just trying to bully their citizens. Greed.

I’d go talk to an attorney.

Comment

The county told me the samething except I never owned the property. I told them if they would supply me with a clear deed, I would be happy to play the taxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X