Carrying a bow while hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carrying a bow while hunting

How does everyone carry their bow (recurve/longbow/selfbow) while hunting? I am fairly new to trad and plan on venturing out on my first trad hunt soon and am looking for ideas/suggestions. I would like to keep my hands free walking to and from the stand so strapping it to my pack would be an idea. To be more specific, I am looking for ideas on carrying the bow to and from the stand, not spot and stalk hunting.

I carry mine strung as I'm walking in. Never know when a opportunity will present it's self.

Comment

My longbow weighs about 1 pound. If it's dark, i have a headlamp so no real need for both hands free.

Trad bows are long....i think strapping it to your back would prove cumbersome.

Comment

Originally posted by n8vtxn1 View Post
        I carry mine strung as I'm walking in. Never know when a opportunity will present it's self.
        This. I also keep a judo arrow handy in case of squirrel or rabbit opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
          My longbow weighs about 1 pound. If it's dark, i have a headlamp so no real need for both hands free.

Trad bows are long....i think strapping it to your back would prove cumbersome.
          Good point. With my recurve being 60" long, I guess it would be a little cumbersome as well as getting caught on brush and limbs while walking.

Comment

Fully rigged with a quiver full of arrows, my bow weighs less than 2 pounds. I walk in with it strung. Much less cumbersome than strapped to my back.

I do the same with my compound. Yes... I admit I shoot training wheels too.

Comment

Day pack and hip quiver on waist belt. Bow in left hand ready to shoot. It's a half mile trek for me.

Shawn

Comment

If you had a takedown you could break it down but I think that you will find it easy to carry even in thick brush. it becomes a part of your arm pretty quick.

Comment

Yep, strung in my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by bubinga View Post
                    Yep, strung in my hand.
                    X2

Even when hunting elk in the mountains

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by dmaxshawn View Post
                      Day pack and hip quiver on waist belt. Bow in left hand ready to shoot. It's a half mile trek for me.

Shawn
                      This except in my other hand

Comment

strung and in hand

Comment

If it isn't strung and ready... why even have it with you.... If you have to string it when you get to stand your doing a lot of movement. Hold the thing, It needs To feel You as much as You need to feel it...

Comment

I carry mine strung through the woods in my hand.

Comment

Strung in hand. Sometimes, I tuck it under my arm.

Comment

Working...
                              X