Unhuntable deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unhuntable deer

I will probably post this in the campfire section as well but I thought I'd get yall's advice first.

I've got 5 (3 are at or above 140 to 160 ) bucks in a bachelor group that are hitting my feeder about an hour after dark and then staying bedded down somewhere within a 20 acre piece of property until they return to the feeder at about 5 am and have been staying until almost 7 am. Their stays seem to get longer each day. So I think I can get a daytime shot in the am on them.

The biggest problem I have is... I have 22 acres of wide open hay field surround by a couple hundred acres of cross fenced hay fields. I have no idea why the bucks are hanging out on my place or how I will get set up on them inside of 20 yds with zero cover. The only thing I have working for me is a large patch of cockleburrs that I can put my pop up in, which will be great until they turn brown and become noisy as all get out to walk through.

I am really wanting to get my daughter or wife on one of these bucks, but that makes it even harder trying to sneak 2 people into the blind.

Did I mention that 4 of the bucks appear to be at least 5 yrs old and a couple are probably 7 or 8 and they are bear a public hunting area so I'm sure they have seen most of the tricks.

I'll strongly consider any and all advice I can get.

Prepare for them to disappear, when the velvet comes off so does their goodwill toward other bucks. They'll be going their separate ways soon.

Comment

Set up a hay bale blind and get in early!

Comment

Mow and rake a narrow trail to the blind so you can walk to it after the "bushes" turn brown and noisy.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

I was thinking that to Tex. But a hay bail is a good idea for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ghillie suit for yourself...... and square bails for a blind, works good. 14JKURX has a great point..

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RanchFairy View Post
                Unfortunately they frown on those in bow only counties

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                  Mow and rake a narrow trail to the blind so you can walk to it after the "bushes" turn brown and noisy.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                  Actually did this after I posted thread. Just got back to see it was posted on here

Comment

I would agree with ideas already stated: weedeat a path to existing blind area or use a ghillie suit to get close.

Comment

If you've got plenty of wide open , I'd sit back and glass them to see where they are going to bed and which way they are coming to your feeder and then set up to ambush them on their travel route near the feeder instead of waiting for them at the feeder.

Comment

Here's a few pics, just so we know it happened. Lol
                        Attached Files

Comment

For those deer I would spend the night in a hay blind for a few nights.

Comment

Originally posted by east tx hoghunt View Post
                            Yup

Comment

Originally posted by east tx hoghunt View Post
                              That option is being considered very seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X