Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aransas NWR 2nd rifle hunt

Hey guys,

I’ve seen a few threads here and there, but am wondering if anyone can give some firsthand advice. Nov 24-28, 2 deer either sex, and unlimited hogs. No baiting allowed, but scent attractants allowed.

Would it be a mistake to NOT bring a stand/blind? I don’t know the terrain at all. I am new to TX from Nevada,and needless to say, I have kore experience spot-and- stalk than blind hunting. Luckily I am easily pleased and if I can knock down a doe I would be happy.

It would be great to be able to bring someone that knows the land along for the hunt, bummer that it’s not allowed.

TIA,

Matt

Raid Professional Strength Flying Insect Killer on all clothes and less senseitive areas!!! You will think I am joking but rest assured I am not. Put OFF on heavy to exposed areas and I recommend a mesh head net.

This is where I killed my first deer. A spike at 15yds with the old 45# recurve. I was 13 way back then and still remember every detail. Took that arrow 30 min to get there seemed like lol.

As for the hunting its flat, sometimes lots of water, snakes, gators, and the meanest javilina you will ever encounter. We hunted there way back in the 70's and early 80's. Not many trees to climb. Scrub oak and tall grasses. We use step ladders, stools and 5 gal buckets. Best to find good trails interceting and some fresh scrapes. Did I mention how bad the skeeters are? You couldnt shoot the javi and they knew it and we finally stopped being chased after 200 plus yards.

No joke when we split off on trail after 50 yds you couldnt see each other for the skeeter clouds. And I know your thinking Im crazy but heaven forbid you got to pop a squat......

Almost forgot about the ticks.....and Id suggest snake boots.
    You could take in popup but its going to be super hot. But a few thermacels might make it ok.
    Last edited by denimdeerslayer; 09-18-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Snake Boots and Lots and Lots of Deet. The mosquitoes will carry you off out there. Pray for cold weather.

Comment

Thermacell, off, mosquito head net
        For stands, best best is a short tripod you can easily carry in and out

Comment

When hunting here dont worry about scent free. You have to hunt the wind.

Comment

Working...
          X