Math question...kind of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math question...kind of

The wife and I are working on our budget for 2020 with the goal of paying off some debt. My idea to save on grocery money is to take advantage of having a grinder and grind our own burger. So off to HEB to pick up two packer briskets at $2.64/#. Total cost $66. Bring them home, trim to maybe 80/20 or 85/15 consistency and grind into 13-1lb packages. Here’s the kicker. For 80/20 ground chuck at HEB you pay $3:78per lb. so that same 13lbs of meat would cost $49.14.

So on price per lb I feel I’m ahead but on a total cost I’m behind. What says the GS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You paid $2.64 for any trimmed fat you threw away from the brisket. Was it a substantial amount?

Comment

Did you measure the packages out to 1lb each? If so then you trimmed off 12lbs of meat somewhere in the process.

Comment

Divide the total cost by the amount of lbs you put up. 66 bucks divided by 13 is $5.07 per lb.

Cheaper alternative, kill what you eat

Comment

The problem is you are only yielding 13 lbs from the packers.

At $2.64 a lb, you need to get 18.6 lbs for the math to break even on the ground chuck.

Then take your time into consideration, wear and tear on grinders, electricity, vacuum sealer bags, etc.

Just buy the ground chuck and invest the time you would spend grinding into cutting the neighbors lawn for $40 bucks and you'll be farther ahead than your original plan.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
            You paid $2.64 for any trimmed fat you threw away from the brisket. Was it a substantial amount?

I did trim a lot of fat, but that I saved to blend into deer. Did not waste it.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
              Did you measure the packages out to 1lb each? If so then you trimmed off 12lbs of meat somewhere in the process.

Yes, each package was dang close to 1 lb.

Comment

At $2.64 per pound, you had 25# of brisket. If you only ended up with 13#, then you trimmed 48% or lost about 1/2 of your total lbs.
                So you ended up paying $5.08 per lb.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
                  Divide the total cost by the amount of lbs you put up. 66 bucks divided by 13 is $5.07 per lb.

Cheaper alternative, kill what you eat

Agree but we only got 1 small doe this year, so far. Last night we finished her off.

Comment

Originally posted by lodgepole View Post
                    Yes, each package was dang close to 1 lb.

Then you trimmed off/lost 12 lbs in the process. That seems really high, when I grind briskets I only cut off the hard fat (deckle).

Comment

I’d say there’s a lot better places to look to save money.

Comment

Kill more deer and throw them in with the brisket.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                          Then you trimmed off/lost 12 lbs in the process. That seems really high, when I grind briskets I only cut off the hard fat (deckle).

Ya, but wife waned it leaner. So I trimmed a lot off. Maybe more like 85/15. Which is a little more at HEB.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                            I’d say there’s a lot better places to look to save money.
                            lol

Comment

I see you are in lake Jackson. I’ve got a doe in the cooler I killed yesterday if you would like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X