DIY: Flatbed for a 1/2 ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Flatbed for a 1/2 ton

Looking for construction/material ideas for a flatbed to go on a 17' Nissan Titan with 8' bed. This is a regular cab, non XD with 8' bed truck. I have built beds for 3/4 and 1 tons but I did not have be as concerned about the weight
    like I will for this truck. I am thinking angle iron and rectangle tube. No GN hitch and I can keep the 2 "reciever hitch and build the bumper around that. Anyone build a light weight bed? Thoughts?

I have no idea on size of steel, but have you thought about aluminum?

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
      I have no idea on size of steel, but have you thought about aluminum?
      No, mainly because I am not experienced in welding aluminum. I have built many projects with steel but I am not a pro welder.

Comment

Watching. Building my son a 81 K10 and we are thinking of building a flat bed.

Comment

Thank you for the link, that's perfect. I do not have his skills but that definetly gives me some ideas to work with. That's a saweet build there

Comment

On the first Tacoma build we used 2x2x1/4" Tubing for the frame runners, 2x2x11GA for the crossmembers, and 14GA floor plate on the deck. We had pretty good success with it, but it did try to twist a little when we pulled it off the truck for weld up. On the last one we did, we used 3" C Channel for the frame runners instead and it worked out a lot better. I'll see if I can post up a pic of that one.

Comment

FoleyBed2

FoleyBed1

FoleyBed3

Comment

Ramball, did you need to run airbags on this truck to counter the weight?

Comment

Ramball36, that's sharp. Sent ya a PM

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                    Ramball, did you need to run airbags on this truck to counter the weight?
                    We put airbags on both, but on the tan truck I think it would have been ok without them. Those beds weighed in at 820 and 1100 lbs

Comment

Working...
                    X