Kid Football Coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kid Football Coaches

Has anyone ever been a football coach for a kids football or peewee team?

What age range or grade level did you coach? Pros/Cons? Would you volunteer to do it again?

This was Thomas' first year playing. He just turned 6 and is in 1st grade. He weighed in at 62 lbs and is playing on the 2nd grade team with a bunch of kids that have played the past 2-3 years. There is room for improvement on our coaching staff and I am highly considering putting in an application next year to be a coach. They have never had a female coach before but I even get on the field during practices this year and help the coaches this year.

I had a discussion with the Director of Coaching yesterday and sent him an email in regards to my experience with this season.

Any insight or suggestions would be helpful. I know this would be a big commitment, especially during deer season... What do you say, green screen?

Yes....I was assistant coach in the TIFFY league for the 4 years my son played. For sure if you decide to do this ,talk to your insurance agent and take out an umbrella ,cove all policy to cover you if a parent decides to sue you ....it happens all the time...a kid gets hurt or hurts someone else the parent is looking for someone to fake the blame....bingo...

If you have a good relationship with the head coach and agree with his style of coaching....then you will enjoy it.

Comment

So a couple things to consider here. Let me be the first to say that I’ve never coached tackle football because I don’t let my 12 and 9 year old play yet but I have coached league and select level baseball and basketball. Unless the coach is a paid professional coach, there is always room for improvements. With that being said, all coaches as teachers must teach to lowest level. Also, there is no way to teach the kids everything they need to know a couple practices a week. There must be some form of dedication from parents to work the kids at home or pay for private lessons.

One thing to also consider and keep in mind if you choose to coach. Parents ruin youth sports! If the parents would stay behind a glass wall 100’ from communicating with little Johnny during the game it would be way more organized and less stressful for all involved. Make sure you implement and follow a 24 hour rule for all communications. If you or a parent wants to talk about a game or practice there needs to be a cooling off time frame.

We all have great ideas on how we think things can be done better until we do it ourselves.

Comment

do it...…..

Comment

i coached both my boys from 5 till jr high over 10 years before i hung up my whistle. It is a very rewarding experience. You have to have parent meeting and set expectations for them early and what will not be tolerated if their son/ daughter is going to play on your team. you have to learn to develop practice plans that eliminate down time and you have to be disciplined in football more so than other sports and I have coached them all. getting assistant coaches from parents that are motivated and let them know what is proper is also important. team moms have to be on board and not become pot stirrers. if you become good at it your kids and parents will come back to you year after year and your team will also become better each season as you build off the last. I highly recommend it but it is not for snowflakes. have fun

Comment

I know its easy to arm chair quarterback... But I feel like I could add some zeal that seems to be missing from the coaching staff.

Comment

Get ya some. Enjoy. LOL!

Comment

It is very rewarding. But be ready for parents criticizing every thing you do. Some parents ruin it for everyone. Remember these are just kids just wanting to have fun not the nfl playoffs.

Comment

I did not coach football, but did coach for a couple of years my daughter's softball team. And for past six-years, I've coached her high school softball team during the fall league. She is the varsity coach at the high school, and asked me to coach, as she does not like "daddy coach," meaning she does not want a parent coaching the team that their child is on. I hated it when I did coach, did it mainly because others were too busy, and I like softball, if the teams are good LOL. Usually, I would have a parent come up and complain because their daughter didn't get as much playing as my daughter and blah blah blah. Didn't want to tell them that their daughter wasn't very good, and thats why they only played a little, but if they would put more off the field practice in, they would get better.

So, now, coaching the varsity school fall ball league, parents can complain if they want and I don't worry too much about it.

Comment

Just keep in mind you’re coaching 6-7yr olds. Most of which will never play in Highschool or Jr High. Let them have fun. That doesn’t mean undisciplined but it’s still just a game. So many parents/coaches try to live vicariously through their kids .

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      Just keep in mind you’re coaching 6-7yr olds. Most of which will never play in Highschool or Jr High. Let them have fun. That doesn’t mean undisciplined but it’s still just a game. So many parents/coaches try to live vicariously through their kids .

I feel like that’s how the Coaches are acting. Blaming the kids for not winning. I want my kid to have fun but learn a lot and don’t see that happening because he is only 6 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Written by Ben Cox – A novel about local educator and football coach Tylene Wilson has been released this week to excellent reviews, according to the author. [adrotate group=”8″] Wilson was football coach for Daniel Baker College

Comment

I coached both my boys in football and baseball from about age 5 until high school. Coaching was the fun part. Dealing with parents not so fun. You can’t and won’t make them all happy. From my experience being the assistant coach was way better than being head coach. Assistant gets the fun of coaching the kids but doesn’t have to deal with the parents like the head coach does.

Comment

Never did football but helped coach on my sons teams when it was coach pitch and up thru 12 years old.

Fun but also stressful from not the kids but parents

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
                              I feel like that’s how the Coaches are acting. Blaming the kids for not winning. I want my kid to have fun but learn a lot and don’t see that happening because he is only 6 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I see it all the time at rodeos. Watched one guy chew his son out so much for bucking off a steer. I pulled the dad aside and told him his son showed more effort than I can ever remember you showing. This same dad came up to me a couple weeks ago and was talking about how we "rodeoed" back in the day. I told him I remember you sittin in the stands. Got embarrassed and mad and walked away

Comment

Working...
                              X