Cottonseed program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonseed program

Anyone have pictures of deer before and after the first year of putting out cottonseed supplement. We are in the abileen are with cotton around. We have average deer population. Theee is a good number in and out seen. It is 600 acres. How many pounds do u think we would feed from march till october

I have no info for you. I would like to know where you are getting your cotton seed..

Comment

Most coops have it

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
        Anyone have pictures of deer before and after the first year of putting out cottonseed supplement.
        No.
        Sounds like a good project for you to take on though. Start feeding it, and document your results for the rest of us to learn from.

Comment

Let us know the prices you get...I couldnt find cheaper then $330 a ton

Comment

First of all as a Biologist I would want you to ask the following questions in order to get an idea on how much to feed of any particular supplement.

1. Deer population per acre.
            2. Buck to doe ratio if possible.
            3. How large are the ranches that border your ranch and are they under any kind of management program.
            4. How much surface water do you have on the ranch.
            5. How much of the ranch is pasture versus cultivation and what do you plant spring and fall.
            6. What are your harvest rules if any outside of what the state recommends.
            7. What is the plant majority make up of your ranch.

Now that I have confused you and not my intentions; just want you to be sure of the direction to take and the cost involved. Feel free to pm me and I would be more then glad to talk shop. Good luck.

Comment

1. 1 deer per 8 acres
              2. very close to 1:1\
              3. Large and little to no management
              4. Not a ton of surface water, but there are six working mills and many small seeps where they collect in creek bottoms.
              5. There is zero cultivation and no cattle have been there for three years.
              6. Shoot mature deer and shoot as many does as bucks.
              7. Mesquite, cedar, shin oak, white brush, black brush.
              8. 3600 acres low fence.

Okay, now can we an answer from the biologist besides it depends?

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post

Okay, now can we an answer from the biologist besides it depends?
                Well Said !

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
                  Well Said !
                  i read that like 10 times still didnt understand.

Comment

We feed it last year for the first time and one year is not a good indication but I didn't see any improvement. We were already feeding protien in off season and thought we would try the cottonseed. We bought 3-4 tons from a gin in Taylor in november and stored it until end of season. It was a pain to store and to put out and if you have livestock you need good pins to keep them out of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X