Son’s knife making takes the next step forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son’s knife making takes the next step forward

My 11yr old has been forging now and then. Mostly playing around, but he hammered out a good hunting knife sized blade a while back. I tried sharpening it for him on my work sharp, but it was just too rough. So today he took his allowance to Harbor Freight and got himself a belt grinder. It’s perfect for him. It’ll allow him to shape and edge his blade but it’s small enough that he will have to be patient. It’s also not so big that I’m worried about it being too powerful for him to control. Can’t wait to see what he does with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome.

Comment

Awesome! Looks like he's focused

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

That's awesome!! Wish I would have started at that age!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s cool stuff!

Comment

Good to see a kid out in the shop doing that instead of in the house playing Fort Nite!!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Greatness!

Comment

Looking good! For safety sake, might get him a pair of gloves that fit better.

Comment

That's great to see!! For putting an edge on I used to use 120# followed by 320# followed by stroping on leather. I use a more complicated system now but I used that method for a few years. If you use sharp belts when you sharpen it will prevent the convex edge that dull sandpaper will create. Keep up the good work!!

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                          Class 5 NoCry brand no cut gloves are only about $ 12 I believe - and that's what my son's are using, they've even bumped a new 36# belt on the big grinder w/o any injury! They give you a lot of control and are available online at ebay, amazon and several other sources. Once a knife is sharp they are priceless!!! All it took was one good look at my scarred up hands and they are believers.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post

Yeah that’s been the hard part. Those are his forging gloves. Everything that is his size is like wimpy gardening gloves. For some reason they don’t make kid sized gloves for working with molten steel LOL

Comment

Originally posted by chopsknives View Post
                              Class 5 NoCry brand no cut gloves are only about $ 12 I believe - and that's what my son's are using, they've even bumped a new 36# belt on the big grinder w/o any injury! They give you a lot of control and are available online at ebay, amazon and several other sources. Once a knife is sharp they are priceless!!! All it took was one good look at my scarred up hands and they are believers.

Thanks I will look into those!

Comment

Working...
                              X