Can you guys give me some info on protien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you guys give me some info on protien

I am trying to find out what kind of protien you guys are feeding in your free choice feeders. We have been feeding protien for 3 years and have had nothing but problems. We have used the Record Rack Products so far. The Breeder feed never got touched. Even the coons wouldn't eat it. The Golden deer nuggets they loved but they always clog up in the feeder. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks guys.

I tried Antler Max on our lease. Deer would not touch it. I am trying some from local mill now hope they like this. I guess guy should buy one bag of several differant brands and see which one they like then go from there.

Comment

Something we always do when we feed protein, we add two sacks of corn to the feeder then top it off with the protein. No mixing needed, the deer start off eating the corn and slowly get to protein/corn mix then all protein. They will always eat it from then on. We have fed many types of protein, you will need to try different types to see what you deer like and utilize the best. We have switched to Lyess and Eckels this year and so far the deer have eaten it very well. WE will see how it does over the long road. When we were feeding antler max we started seeing bucks with broken tines and beams, so we made the switch.

Comment

Lysse and Echols

Comment

mixing corn in can help as said above...... Whatever you decide on, stick with it. Changing deer feeds every 6 months just makes the deer have to get accustomed to another diet. Most of the feeds out their have somewhat similar breakdowns, but the differences in the microminerals and overall digestible protein can change from feed to feed.

Best of luck

Comment

I am currently feeding Record Rack, but the deer are not eating it. So I will be switching to a different brand. Might try the L&E above.

Comment

Before you get going on something else, try to figure out somethings first.
              Are the deer just not eating it? they don't like it?
              Are the deer eating something else that might be growing right now? With all the rain we have had lately, weeds could be putting on new growth. Are acorns falling?
              Lots of questions to be answered, just because the deer are not eating protein could be a good thing if they ae interested in someting else. More to feeding protein than just having it available.....

Comment

We buy our protein at The Peanut Co in Fredonia. They empty a 6-55gal drums in about 10-14 days.

Comment

I switched from Antler max to L&E a couple of years ago and have a lot less broken tines
                  Attached Files

Comment

We had the breeder protien mixed with the corn for over a year and they never touched it. Never had a pic of a single animal touching it. Eventually the weavels destroyed all of it. When we switched to the golden deer nuggets it only took a week before deer were all over it, but like I said above the deer nuggets would clog the feeder really fast. Thanks for the help guys we may try the L&E mentioned above next year.

Comment

ADM Alliance Nutrition - Rack Plus - They have been emptying 3 55 gallon drums full of it every 5-7 days! They LOVE this stuff!

Comment

Everybody is gonna have a different opinion on this, find what the feed stores in your area have and see what the deer take to.

Comment

We feed record rack 20% the blue bag, and have had awsome results with it the deer eat about 5,000 pound every 20 days or so in the spring and summer. After augest we take a break becuase of all of the acorns we had a few deer die over the years and we think it was the combination of protien and acorns. And in the winter we feed what they call a doe ration.

Comment

Originally posted by mathewsbullseye View Post
                            I am currently feeding Record Rack, but the deer are not eating it. So I will be switching to a different brand. Might try the L&E above.
                            We've fed Record Rack for the last 5 years, they eat it good when they need it but there are times when they don't need it, the deer determine it. Usually they go thru 350# in each feeder in two weeks but lately it's been lasting over a month, they do this every year, the racks are built & the deer are fat, when that happens they let up on it.

Comment

Feeding Antlermax and the deer seem to be pounding it hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X