No announcement yet.

Buzzards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never scene or heard of red headed buzzards getting after calves. Black headed is a different story. Typically they are just wanting the after birth but can get aggressive after a fresh calf.

Comment

Buzzards

Mexican eagles are tough on fawns and calves. They definitely hang out in deer pens when fawns are being born. They are the coyotes of the sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Shurshot; 07-15-2018, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        Not breaking a law protecting my property. And by not advertising it there’s no reason for a single person to be concerned what I do
        Great quote! No ones business but yours. Protect and be quiet.

Comment

I bet a 17HMR makes a fine calf killin' buzzard eradicator..

Last edited by Smart; 07-15-2018, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Black headed ones are bad about killing calves

Terminate with extreme prejudice

Comment

The black headed ones are aggressive and are taken over, seeing less turkey buzzards around the central Texas area and that’s all I use to see.

Comment

In fannin co I see the exact opposite. The red headed turkey vultures are the aggressive ones and I have seen them push the black headed ones away from a fresh kill and take it over. I have heard that the turkey vultures are very aggressive on newborn calves

Comment

Sss!!!

Comment

had a rancher next to a deer lease I was on who had them coming in and killing his lambs as soon as they were born. He wanted me to shoot all I could. Never did, but I know he sure hated those things.

Comment

So is it a fact that the black headed vultures are open game if harassing livestock? We have the same issue at our place. They are bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        You can get a depredation permit for them. Our friends raise Beefmaster cattle and they have one.
                        Last year, right before dove season opened the GW rolled up and asked if they were shooting dove. Nope! Just buzzards. Got permit, no problem.
                        That's what I was going to suggest but I wasn't sure if a depredation permit would apply to buzzards. That's the route I'd take if that's the only legal option.

If you do I think you should find out where they roost and put the sneak on 'em at night with a .22 and a flashlight. Then shoot coyotes and other stuff off their carcasses. Then shoot more buzzards off of theirs. I betcha you could get things to smellin real nice around there.

Comment

SSS works the best year round.

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                            Not true. You can do what's necessary, just don't go telling everybody. Dang sure don't go crying on the internet.

Or you can sit there wringing your hands, worried about the gov't and whether or not you have the proper permission to be a free man, while your newborn calves die.
                            Lol, proper permission to be a free man. Come back to reality and realize that holds no weight in today's society tough talk.

Appreciate the info on the black headed buzzards and permits. I have some bird watching environmentalists on one side of me, and they would be calling a warden in a New York minute if they seen me busting a buzzard. Looks like there are ways to make sure my rear is covered, and not just using "being a free man" lol.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                              In fannin co I see the exact opposite. The red headed turkey vultures are the aggressive ones and I have seen them push the black headed ones away from a fresh kill and take it over. I have heard that the turkey vultures are very aggressive on newborn calves
                              Red headed turkey vultures are so aggressive they done took over your Avitar!

Comment

Apparently, the National Cattlemen's Beef Association has an active lobbying effort ongoing to get the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to issue broad open season on black vultures. Here's a link to an article, suggesting contacting the acting USFWS director and U.S. Representatives and Senators.

The Protected Black Vulture is at risk from Southern Cattlemen. The WIldlife agency says agressive birds are devestating livestock

Comment

Working...
                                X