Any plumbers that can run a gas line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any plumbers that can run a gas line?

I'm looking for some help, references, or advice on this one for our house in Liberty Hill. My wife and I are set on changing out our electric cooktop for a gas one. When we bought the house, I figured this would be an easy enough thing to do, but after digging in and getting a couple of bids, there is way more to it than I thought.

Our house is not currently plumbed for any kind of gas, so the project would include running the line from the cooktop to the attic and to an exterior wall. I'm planning on setting a small tank (125 gal or less) right up against the wall as from my research this appears to be within spec.

Thanks green screen!

Marshall
    512-591-4489

While you are cutting all those holes in the walls, you might consider installing a very powerful exhaust hood over the range if you don't already have one.

I used to run commercial gas in Austin (never from a tank), but I can see how the costs will add up on your project. To start with, you will need a plumber and a helper, one plumbing truck, a pipe threading machine, some black pipe and fittings, and a regulator. And you will need a carpenter. You don't want plumbers hacking your walls.

The pressure test requirement means this is a multiple visit job for the plumbers and the carpenters. The plumber will need one trip to bid, one trip to meet with the carpenter after winning the bid, one full day of work, and hopefully one short day to verify pressure test and hook up, plus a trip to the supply house. The carpenter has similar time and travel. Add in time on the road and stuck in traffic if the crews come from Austin.

When you are looking at bids and they seem high, keep in mind the time, skilled labor, and equipment that is involved. This is not one plumber stopping by to swap out a toilet for $150. While these guys are doing your job, they can't be working in Austin where there is shortage of skilled labor and lots of rich people who want work done.

Also consider the cost of system failure. I mostly did commercial new construction with high quality new materials. We still had call-backs and damaging leaks. Proper licensing and insurance is important.
    Last edited by banzai; 08-19-2018, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by banzai View Post
      While you are cutting all those holes in the walls, you might consider installing a very powerful exhaust hood over the range if you don't already have one.

I used to run commercial gas in Austin (never from a tank), but I can see how the costs will add up on your project. To start with, you will need a plumber and a helper, one plumbing truck, a pipe threading machine, some black pipe and fittings, and a regulator. And you will need a carpenter. You don't want plumbers hacking your walls.

The pressure test requirement means this is a multiple visit job for the plumbers and the carpenters. The plumber will need one trip to bid, one trip to meet with the carpenter after winning the bid, one full day of work, and hopefully one short day to verify pressure test and hook up, plus a trip to the supply house. The carpenter has similar time and travel. Add in time on the road and stuck in traffic if the crews come from Austin.

When you are looking at bids and they seem high, keep in mind the time, skilled labor, and equipment that is involved. This is not one plumber stopping by to swap out a toilet for $150. While these guys are doing your job, they can't be working in Austin where there is shortage of skilled labor and lots of rich people who want work done.

Also consider the cost of system failure. I mostly did commercial new construction with high quality new materials. We still had call-backs and damaging leaks. Proper licensing and insurance is important.
      Great advice. Thank you. To your point, all these guys are so busy it seems like they can charge just about anything they want.

Comment

Nice meeting you today, Rowdy (rowdybass). I appreciate the advice and offer to help.

Comment

No problem at all, nice meeting you as well sir.

Comment

Working...
          X