Chevy 6.2L Gas engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chevy 6.2L Gas engine

How is the Chevy 6.2L gas engine? Does it get the gas millage they claim? What is the pros and cons of this engine over the 5.3L. I hope some of you folks can help answer some of these question.

I drive a 2011 F-250 6.7L liter now and I only pull my Travel Trailer about 2-3 times a year. So I truly do not need a diesel engine. I would like to go to a gas engine 1/2 ton truck and put air bags on it for pulling. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also if there is another truck out there that is just as good please let me know. I am a ford guy but may take a trip on the dark side. lol.

I don't think any engine truly gets the mileage they claim. If it's anything like the 6.0 Vortec, it's got plenty of power. I've driven a Camero with the 6.2 and they move Pretty good with smooth power. I'm not sure how it transfers over to the pickup, but I'm sure it's not bad!

Comment

Dear god please do not buy one of those new ugly front end F150's. WTH were they thinking.

I had two 6.0 2500 Chevys and loved them. Awesome engines.

Comment

I have a 2011 f-150 Platinum with the 6.2 gas and it is a beast! Love that truck!!!

Comment

I would be careful about pulling a travel trailer with it, if it's heavy. My step dad has a decent sized bumper pull travel trailer and it pulls like crap behind his 2500 Cummins. I can't imagine it behind a 1/2 ton. It could be a few miserable trips a year.

Comment

We have about 2500 miles on a 6.2l high country 4x4 8 speed trans 3.23 rear. My work vehicle has the 5.3 and I have no idea what gear. The 6.2 even with the traction control on will get sideways from a stop. I havent been in it without my wife enough to see what it will do with the TC off. The 6.2 will reach 80 like its nothing and you barely even feel the trans shift. It flat hauls the mail and seems like 3x the engine the 5.3 is. Ive also drove my dads 3/4 ton 6.0 4x4 3.73 gear the 6.2 gets up quite a bit faster

That said Im seeing about 17 highway MPG pulling my single seat ranger on a 12 foot single axle trailer (hand calc). The computer has told me 24 mpg with just a bed full of gear 70 mph on the highway and and average of 19. I have not pulled my boat with it yet to see how it does with that.
            Last edited by Quackerbox; 11-11-2015, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I have the 2500HD with the 6.0L engine and it gets about 12.5 average. Has plently of power.

I bet the 6.2l in the 1500 would scream...

Comment

Good motors from everything I've seen. Owned one in an SS Camaro I had. The Camaro averaged 22mpg driving it nicely. It was a manual car too so I could really control RPMs. Co-worker has a 2012 6.2 Silverado, he averages 15mpg with level and tires. My Dad has a 2015 6.2 all stock, he averages 17.5mpg. I have a 2014 5.3, I average 18.5 with level and tires.

Power difference between the two engines is pretty massive in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I really don't want to get rid of my F-250, it has been a heck of a truck and pulls like crazy. It is just getting a bunch of miles on it and it being the first 6.7 year I just don't feel comfortable pushing it anymore. I can justify the price of a F-250 so wanting to go with a 1/2 ton.

The air bags should take a bunch of the pulling issues away. I am getting older so don't need to get where I am going as fast when I have a load being me. But I don't want to get a smaller engine and not be able to do the speed limit either.

Comment

Originally posted by trhunter View Post
                    Thanks for the info. I really don't want to get rid of my F-250, it has been a heck of a truck and pulls like crazy. It is just getting a bunch of miles on it and it being the first 6.7 year I just don't feel comfortable pushing it anymore. I can justify the price of a F-250 so wanting to go with a 1/2 ton.

The air bags should take a bunch of the pulling issues away. I am getting older so don't need to get where I am going as fast when I have a load being me. But I don't want to get a smaller engine and not be able to do the speed limit either.
                    Yea, the big gas motor sounds like what you need. I pull a 6,000lb. travel trailer with my 5.3. It'll do 75 all day with that trailer. The 6.2 won't have a problem with any trailer below 8,500lbs. in my opinion. Do you have a load leveler for the trailer? Makes pulling a bumper pull no big deal as far as tongue weight goes.

Comment

My dad bought a 2014 z71 1500 with the 6.2 and its really quick. He's got 33inch BFG ko2's, leveling kit, and a front replacement ranch hand bumper and he still averages 18-19 on the highway

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                        Yea, the big gas motor sounds like what you need. I pull a 6,000lb. travel trailer with my 5.3. It'll do 75 all day with that trailer. The 6.2 won't have a problem with any trailer below 8,500lbs. in my opinion. Do you have a load leveler for the trailer? Makes pulling a bumper pull no big deal as far as tongue weight goes.
                        I plan on putting one on the new 1/2 ton, the F-250 really didn't need it, my trailer only weights 6400 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by trhunter View Post
                          I plan on putting one on the new 1/2 ton, the F-250 really didn't need it, my trailer only weights 6400 lbs.

Yea, you'll be good with that leveler. Heck, you'd be fine with the 5.3. But, i understand wanting more power.

Comment

I have the 2008 6.0 in a half ton and I love the power. Gas mileage is not that great I average about 15mpg. I have got up to 17.5mpg on the highway. I also tend to drive fast. Mine also had a 4 speed transmission

I mom has a Denali suburban with the 6.2 and it will out run my truck. She doesn't drive as fast I due but she averages 17-17.5mpg. Thats pretty good for that big of a vehicle. Hers has the 6 speed

Comment

i drive a camaro with a 6.3 liter ls3 on weekends and a new 15 silverado with the 6.2 and a 8speed transmission.
                              if you drive it normally meaning dont go punching on it and taking off out of the hole hard like at a drag strip you can get about what they claim.
                              highway driving yes it gets every bit.

the 6.2 is great for pulling!!!!! if driven responsibly it gets good gas mileage for a truck
                              and its fast lol

its all about the tranny and the shift points.

go test drive one

Comment

Working...
                              X