LIVE - incompetance, insanity, and a major cluster in the making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
    I typically view a statue of one person as a celebration of their life and successes so the removal of this statue doesnt seem like an attempt to erase history in my opinion. It seems that people that disagreed with General Lee's support and stance during the civil war do not want a statue memorializing him. I can understand their point of view but also understand that General Lee did other things that deserve recognition.
    My problem is this...its 133 years old & part of N.O. history / legacy.

The statue does not belong to the elected officials...it belongs to the residents of N.O. Why should 1/2 dozen people make a decision of a million residents?? This is scary to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

The statue does not belong to the elected officials...it belongs to the residents of N.O. Why should 1/2 dozen people make a decision of a million residents?? This is scary to me.
      That's a good point. I can understand that the statue itself has become a part of NOLA history and can see being upset about that. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

My problem is a mentally unstable white kid shot up a black church in SC and this anti-confederate movement started. I'm sick and tired of this bull****!

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
          I typically view a statue of one person as a celebration of their life and successes so the removal of this statue doesnt seem like an attempt to erase history in my opinion. It seems that people that disagreed with General Lee's support and stance during the civil war do not want a statue memorializing him. I can understand their point of view but also understand that General Lee did other things that deserve recognition.
          I admit that I to some degree look at this through the lenses I was born with. I can't pretend to fully understand the African American perspective on these issues but I try -looking at it through their eyes might make us feel differently. I have deep roots in the old south on both sides of my family and I have studied the Civil War era for most of my 60 years. I know for fact that some of my ancestors owned slaves which is both horrifying and confusing because I also know of great and compassionate things they did. I guess it always comes back to the fact that humans are a flawed species with a mix of evil and good, sometimes in equal measure. The point is we make horrible mistakes in the way we treat each other, then get it right and move on.

Comment

San Antonio could make a few bucks by leveling the Alamo and the missions. Some serious history of death, displacement and depravity. Hek let's just level the Vatican while we are at it. Wipe the slate clean and start all over. Uhg. I find this whole situation maddening. And I'm probably more liberal than your average TBH member. I'm a big fan of Lee and his place in history.

-------------------------------
            Violence never settles anything
            -Genghis Kahn

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              There seems to be a prevailing opinion in some quarters that white folks in the south look at confederate statues and think "them's were the good old days - back when we got to own people and blacks knew their place" With a few VERY minor exceptions, nothing could be further from the truth. It is my position that the history of any culture - warts and all - needs to be preserved. We all understand and acknowledge that slavery was a stain on our founding ideals and was an ugly era of the American experiment. But the attempt to erase history by pulling down statues and renaming streets does nothing in the way of solving current problems.
              Good post Jerp.

Comment

imaging all those poor pigeon's where are they going to take a crap ? New Orleans you should be ashamed of yourselves. now go get them some little port o pots

Comment

hey mayor, now can we now have a kate jenner statue erection?

Comment

Originally posted by monsterspike View Post
                    hey mayor, now can we now have a kate jenner statue erection?
                    No. That part has been rendered useless

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      No. That part has been rendered useless
                      I see what you did there.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        I admit that I to some degree look at this through the lenses I was born with. I can't pretend to fully understand the African American perspective on these issues but I try -looking at it through their eyes might make us feel differently. I have deep roots in the old south on both sides of my family and I have studied the Civil War era for most of my 60 years. I know for fact that some of my ancestors owned slaves which is both horrifying and confusing because I also know of great and compassionate things they did. I guess it always comes back to the fact that humans are a flawed species with a mix of evil and good, sometimes in equal measure. The point is we make horrible mistakes in the way we treat each other, then get it right and move on.
                        Sanity prevails again![emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

Maybe 350k residents using new math....lol. Yep, should have been voted upon before a HUGE decision like that was made......kinda like they should have voted on it 133 years ageaux![emoji6] All about perspective my friend. I am sure someone will make millions off these statues as it is the American way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think we both would agree how a vote would have turned out 133 years ago amigo...today?? I'm not sure, but so much for the will of the people. Rotten deal no matter how you want to slice it.

Actions of a tyrant & not a public servant.

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                          Sanity prevails again![emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

Maybe 350k residents using new math....lol. Yep, should have been voted upon before a HUGE decision like that was made......kinda like they should have voted on it 133 years ageaux![emoji6] All about perspective my friend. I am sure someone will make millions off these statues as it is the American way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                            It is puzzling why it is only one part of history that has to be removed to make it all better.

Would you want your uncle that molested you to have a statue glorifying him in your living room?

No, not having the statue won't change history, but you don't want to have a constant reminder of those times that he did those despicable things to you.

Your uncle never molested me and was a great man, he even helped my mom change a tire when he saw her with a flat on the side of the road.
                            Visited my dad everyday when he was in the hospital.
                            He coached my little league baseball team.

I say we should leave the statue of your uncle who molested you in your living room.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                              Would you want your uncle that molested you to have a statue glorifying him in your living room?

No, not having the statue won't change history, but you don't want to have a constant reminder of those times that he did those despicable things to you.

Your uncle never molested me and was a great man, he even helped my mom change a tire when he saw her with a flat on the side of the road.
                              Visited my dad everyday when he was in the hospital.
                              He coached my little league baseball team.

I say we should leave the statue of your uncle who molested you in your living room.
                              Get real. That is a pathetic anology.

Comment

Originally posted by unkn View Post
                                The womb does not belong to the elected officials...it belongs to the woman. Why should 1/2 dozen people elected officials make a decision of a 150 million women?? This is scary to me.
                                That's t he case that pro-choice folks make about abortion
                                You have twelve 80 year old men making a decision about what 20 year old women should do with their bodies.

Slippery slope....
                                Last edited by texansfan; 05-20-2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X