Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to figure this out - what is going on with this buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to figure this out - what is going on with this buck?

This buck has a lot going on. In one pic it looks like the antler is broken and running along bridge of his nose. But in another it looks like there may be a antler protruding from the bridge. And I can't figure out what that is hanging on the end of his antler.
    Attached Files

I would guess it to be grass on his odd beam?? maybe not? I have never witnessed that deformation before?

Comment

Looks like antler is holding grass from being deformed

Comment

Yeah, looks like it's digging into the ground when he eats... curious what happens to him next year. If it continues to do that as he gets a larger rack then he'll starve to death trying to feed...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Comment

Considering bucks have been hard horned for a while I'd say he's doing good. But he could also have someone else's tine jabbed off in his nose.

I also think he's got grass caught up in it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I think another's deer tine may have broken off in the bridge of his nose or face. It has grass all over it because the buck has been dragging it in the grass trying to remove it

Comment

Man that it a strange one. I can’t see enough detail to figure out what’s going on but he seems to be getting along ok.

Comment

Rudolph during daylight hours!

Comment

I cropped the two best pics hoping it would show more detail with the reduced sizing. I can't tell if that is scabbing or infection around the top of his head or moss or something else. Even the plant, assuming that is what it is, is odd looking.
                  Attached Files

Comment

That last pic looks like his tine got caught up in some twine or vines and he went berzerko trying to get out. His skull pedicule or base cracked and the antler rolled forward draggin the skin down between his eyes Looks like a valley between his ears on his head..

This is a a wild arsed guess..*

Comment

Totally bizarro, some sort of deformity/birthdefect is best I've got. Are antlers made out of the same cells as hair, I know rhino horns are... body shape doesn't look too bad so maybe its not hurting him much, very odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        That last pic looks like his tine got caught up in some twine or vines and he went berzerko trying to get out. His skull pedicule or base cracked and the antler rolled forward draggin the skin down between his eyes Looks like a valley between his ears on his head..

This is a a wild arsed guess..*
                        I think that too
                        Saw a small buck this year with a big ball of hay string wrapped around his rack
                        Another reason I clean up that stuff every time I am on a ranch.

Comment

Weird looking for sure....

Comment

The cropped pics do show it better but still hard to tell. The scab or dirt is visible in the December pic but not November

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Whatever it is....I bet it stinks!

Comment

Working...
                              X